“A wonderful holiday - we will be back” 5 of 5 stars

Fiji Hideaway Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Queens Road, Sigatoka, Viti Levu, Fiji   |
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Sigatoka
Ohope
“A wonderful holiday - we will be back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

I have never written a review on a resort in my life although I have visited many. I feel compelled to write about Hideaway as I believe it deserves a special mention.

Within hours of arriving I knew we had made a great (lucky) choice for our holiday. Hideaway has the X factor which accounts for the many people we met on our stay who were there for their 3rd and 4th visit - that says it all really.

The staff - Beautiful genuine people - being a bit of a cynic I left feeling humbled.
The rooms - we stayed in a beachfront 2 bedroom bure and I would not have changed a thing - (the bathroom was the only room which was in need of an upgrade but certainly not a major). Outlook is stunning. If you are a delicate sleeper, bring your own pillow as the ones provided are quite firm.
The Food - breakfast is great - eggs cooked to perfection in every style as well as cereals, fruit etc etc etc. For the other meals there are 2 menus - an all day one and a dinner one. I can't comment too much about the dinner one as we ordered from the all day one most of the time which is so extensive you could order from it for a week without repeating an order. We did not have a bad meal (in fact every meal was delicious) and after the first two days we ended up ordering one meal between the two of us because the servings were so generous.
Because the kids eat for free at a different time than the adults you actually get to have some time out with your partner alone whilst the kids watch a movie in the kids theatre.

Kids Club - Fijians love children - Our 2 children ( 8 and 11) had a wonderful time. After the first couple of days they made friendships through the kids club and attended less frequently.

Activities: I would definitely recommend the horse riding which is conducted outside the resort. The horseride up into the hills is amazing ($30 Fiji per person for 1 1/2 hours).
Snorkelling straight out from the bures in the morning is brilliant (wind gets up in the afternoon).

Tip : When you go to breakfast take your towels and reserve your sunbed for the day.

Bula - You will love your stay

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

We stayed at this hotel after reading the reviews describing this resort as relaxed and friendly and down to earth. We had some major problems with Flight Centre and our room booking and upon arrival at the Hideaway this was sorted out by the reception staff with no fuss and apologies (which they did not have to give as it wasn't their fault) and we then stayed in two adjoining frangipani bures. I was travelling with my 3-year-old daughter and a friend on a girl’s getaway.

I found the bure to be extremely clean and well presented. People who bang on about the place being tired are just fussy. If you want glamour and five star service you have to pay for it and we all know we are looking at the Rydges because it is a very inexpensive holiday in paradise. Seriously does everything have to be Vogue Living standard for a place to be nice? I felt at home, was in a clean room with clean sheets and could hear and see the sea and had swaying palm trees around me.

We quickly settled into the rhythm of the resort and enjoyed Fariz’s acclaimed omlettes (try one with the lot including chilli for a hit!) and chicken curries. The pool area is quite social and we were looking forward to meeting people and having a chat - which we did. The kids club was fantastic for my little girl who was able to participate with the big girls under my supervision as she was not yet five. For her it was a real adventure to be able to go on walks and scavenger hunts and even sit in the cinema at night with her newfound friends while I watched on from a distance with a sneaky cocktail in my hand. It gave me the break I needed and her the company she craved. Naomi and Tuli are lovely people and are great with the kids but they are not baby sitters or childcare workers which I think a few people on here have expected. If you want to dump your kids and go this is not the place to do it. If you aren’t going to be around or leaving the resort or getting a massage you should let them know and then they will make sure the child stays with them. If they know you are around then they are happy for the kids to go back to the pool or to spend time playing ping pong etc if they wish and this is what probably annoyed one or two people before.

The food factor was a big worry for me as I am a Baliphite and love going to different restaurants but I found something new to try every night and wasn’t disappointed once. The highlight was the Fijian feast we had which was a revelation and very tasty and interesting.

I am planning on going back and will be sure to take my reef shoes so I can walk out onto the reef, which was hard to do in thongs. I would have loved to be able to swim more in the sea here but it was only possible to paddle and at most have a bath like lie down in the water at high tide. It is beautiful though.

This is a great place to take off your cranky pants and let your cares drift away. I am back home and am less impatient; in fact I’m positively without cares and owe this all to the great vibe at the Rydges Hideaway.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Wollongong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

Hideaway
Recently stayed at the Hideaway for 5 nights. We arranged our transfer through the Hideaway and a driver/van picked us from the airport. The return cost was FJD220 which is very reasonable for 5. The driver stopped at a local shop for us to pick up supplies eg bottled water, snacks and some Fiji Bitter. He is also was very informative about local culture. The 1 ½ hour journey went quickly and gave us a chance to see the countryside before arriving at our destination.
As we were impressed with the driver, we arranged for him to pick us up 3 days later to take us to the Eco Village, Sigatoka, Natadola Beach and the Pottery Village as well as a souvenir shop, the cost being far less than an organised tour. We also saved money on horseriding at Natalola Beach thanks to his advice regarding the price. The owners of the horses charge guests at the Intercontinental FJD75 however we bargained and paid FJD30.
Upon arrival we checked in quickly, we had two rooms, one being a 2 bedroom bure and the other being a 1 bedroom beachfront villa. The 2 bedroom bure was basic and comfortable, however the bathroom did need a makeover, although the shower was always hot with plenty of water pressure. The 1 bedroom beachfront villa was great including an indoor bathroom and an outdoor one – sitting on the verandah early evening having a drink before dinner was so relaxing. We booked the rooms on the Rydges website and got great deals, especially the 1 bedroom beachfront “AKA” the honeymoon suite.
Breakast - Faiyez AKA ‘The Eggman’ made the best poached eggs and omelettes. He served them with a smile, a daily riddle to be solved before the next day and he truly seemed to enjoy his job. I’m surprised a 5 star resort hasn’t snapped him up. On our final day we surprised him by stumping him with a riddle of our own (which is probably now using on other guests).
Food - We were extremely happy with both menu’s being the ‘all day menu’ and the dinner menu. There were also daily specials. Lunch prices were very reasonable 18-20FJD for pasta, burritos, fish, chips, salad, fajitas, hamburgers, pizza, etc. And the meals are quite large.
My favourite for dinner was the grilled lobster at FJD65 less 20% Rydges discount FJD52 which included a full lobster plus another tail. Can’t complain about that. Of the 25 meals we ordered for dinner over 5 nights, all but one were excellent.
The barbecue dinner where you picked your own ingredients including meat, fish, vegetables and sauces was excellent, although just like at a buffet, our eyes were bigger than our stomachs.
Cocktails/alcohol - again reasonably priced after deducting 20% discount. The chocolate cocktails are a must. My only tip would be if you like champagne take a couple of bottles of duty free bottles.
Horseriding – straight out the front of the resort – you can choose between short beach rides and longer rides including a waterfall. The prices are very cheap compared to Australia.
Snorkelling – again straight out the front of the resort. We took our own gear, however the Hideaway took good care of their equipment which appeared to be in good condition.
Unfortunately we didn’t have great weather but we still snorkelled, swam, rode horses, dived a ship wreck and with the reef sharks, had a massage, ate too much and laughed a lot.
We found the Hideway to be a great place to relax, the staff were very friendly – “Bulas” everywhere and most remembered your name. Yes – Fiji time does exist however this is nothing to complain about – sit back, relax, enjoy and de-stress.
Overall, a few things do need fixing, eg. Sun lounges along the beachfront, but if you don’t want to spend a fortune, enjoy good food, cocktails, snorkelling, the Hideway is great. There are plenty of activities during the day if you wish to participate or you can just do you own thing. There is also nightly entertainment.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Hideaway and would recommend it to anyone wanting a laid back, stress free, relaxing holiday with good food without being pretentious or with the price tag of a 5 star resort. You get the real feel of Fiji not just concrete walls. Hideway is full of smiles and ‘Bulas’ whilst not being perfect it is definitely a hideaway I will always remember fondly.
As for a previous review full of complaints, in which the reviewer seems to blame the Hideaway for all of their own problems - I have never read so much rubbish – some people are just too ‘precious’ and think the world owes them – well it doesn’t – life’s what you make it.
Bula

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Daylesford, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

I really enjoyed my holiday at the Hideaway and will return.

Firstly, let me say that it is in dire need of a refurbishment - whilst extremely clean and confortable, everything is getting quite shabby and in need of an update. I notice in a management comment, a refurb is planned -- that is great news. I do hope this will include new pillows which is my only complaint - they were truly awful - flat, hard and lumpy. I was sooooooooo thankful of my decision to bring my own! My only other minor complaint was there was only 4 hangers! I was alone and this was way insufficient for me, let alone if two people were occupying the room.

I loved my Beach front villa (#303) - light airy and very spacious, it included a full bathroom with double shower and two basins, a third basin area near the wardrobe space as well as a very private outdoor bathroom with tub and shower. Just loved that! The front verandah overlooked the lagoon, just 10 metres away and included chairs and a hammock like seat. Bliss! Airconditioned (but rarely required) and ceiling fan.

The spa services were excellent and less than half the price you would pay in Australia. I had a 50 minute massage, a facial and manicure for $FJD190 or around $AUD96. You can elect to have your massage in the beachfront pavilion (see my photos) again is blissful.

The staff are outstanding. Really friendly, helpful and unlike one previous reviewer claimed, this is not forced out of them. Everyone speaks to the guests they encounter with a friendly "Bula!" and more. I think it comes down to your attitufe too - take a bad one on holiday and you will be assured of a bad experience. Respond in kind to these happy, warm people and you too will have a happy warm experience! If they were forced to be nice to guests, I seriously doubt the maneger woiuld have phined my room on arrival to see if there was anything I needed and had I eaten (it was very late in the evening), or if my maid would rush from the bure she was cleaning when she saw me leaving especially to say goodbye or some other staff who saw me leave in an excursion in the morning bother to come and found out how I enjoyed it and introduce a staff member who came from the area I had visited. Or the man from reception who, when I had a key issue walked to my room with me to ensure it was resolved. The staff were wonderful and helped make my holiday very enjoyable. I have never felt more welcome in any hotel that I have stayed in and I stay in hotels and resorts - always 4- 5 stars for around 120 nights per year.

I am a Rydges Priorit Guest - Platinum level. Unlike a previous reviewer, I did not have any bad experiences in requesting my 50% discount on my food. However, I did find it amusing that majority of the staff assumed this meant I worked for Rydges. If I was that previous reviewer, I probably would have taken umbrage at this - I just found the "welcome to the family" attitude faintly amusing. However note to Management - it wouldnt hurt to educate your people on the Priority Guest program - that Platinum members are VERY frequent stayers, not necessarily staff.

That same previous reviewer critiscised Hideaway for "being in the middle of nowhere". Maybe that is why it is called "Hideaway". Duh! Seriously, most of the Coral Coast resorts are in the middle of nowhere. That is why you go there - to get away from everything! If you want to be in the middle of some serious action, I doubt Fiji is the right place for a holiday with the possible exception of Denerau which reminds me of Port Douglas or Palm Cove - thoroughly contrived and bland with no chance of getting close to the "real Fiji".

The beach. Again this has come in for some critiscism in this forum. People, it's not called the Coral Coast for nothing and most of Vitu Levu has a fringing reef which means you will need coral booties to walk or swim safely and you will be only able to do so at high tide. However the water was warm - warmer than the pool at this time of year -- so I really enjoyed my swims in the sea each evening. Reef walking at low tide is also really interesting but you need protective footwear.

The lunch and dinner food is really excellent, particularly in a country where the quality of base ingredients is often poor. (I know, as I had family who lived in Suva for some years). Rooms service was also excellent, prompt. Breakfast with the exception of the eggs cooked to order by the lovely egg man, Faiyez, was pretty ordinary but then most hotel breakfasts are these days and it probably related to the quality of ingrediets available. However it was cheap so no complaints!

A great day excursion is the Sigatoka River Safari which you can book at the tours desk in the hotel. It combines the thrills of travelling in a jet boat (and getting soaked in the process) with the cultural aspects of meeting and learning about people who live in small villages in this stunningly beautiful valley. They pcik you up/return you to the Hotel.

All in all, I had a lovely holiday at the Hideway and will definitely return - one day soon I hope!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Telina, Qld
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

I always read the reviews, forums on this site but have never been inclined to leave a review before. However, after staying at Rydges Hideaway Resort, that has changed. I don't know where to begin - there are so many wonderful things about this Resort. Firstly, the friendly, beautiful mannered staff who always greet you with a heartfelt BULA - even cleaners and gardeners. The staff would be one of the biggest assets to this Resort (Management - they deserve a pay rise). Okay, the food. There are 2 restaurants, the all day one which has a cheaper menu and is available all day til about 10pm and the a la carte which is more expensive and available meal times only. Both menus have a greta selection of food and each dish we tried, from either menu was superb. There is a thing called Fiji time but we were on holiday so this was fine. We were not in a hurry to get anywhere and found it wonderful to relax and be stress free for a change. I cannot understand a previous review which says they couldn't get a meal as there is an all day menu. Also - 7 hours to travel - that's not the resort's fault. It's about 1 1/2 hours from the airport which had they done some research they may have realised. As for 'in the middle of nowhere' it's about 20 minutes Sigatoka, and once again research would have advised of this. Breakfast goes until 10am, so unless you go on holidays to sleep the day away, you certainly don't need to be up early - it is a buffet breakfast and we oftsen saw it still going at 10.30. Snorkelling can only be done at high tide, so why would you want to go at low tide. Oh well, you cannot please everyone. We will certainly be returning to this resort and think I will go and book now!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Adelaide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

We stayed at Rydges Hideaway for the 2nd Christmas in a row (have booked for this year to!) and enjoyed every minute of our holiday. The staff, surroundings, food, bure etc. etc. were great. Now....this is not a 5 star resort by any means, and yes, it is a little tired, but if you do your homework before you go...it will definitely exceed your expectations. We only had 7 days the first time we went, so stayed for 2 weeks on this visit (and will again) because it is the most enjoyable, relaxing holiday we've had. Love the fact there are no TV's, radios etc. Even love Fiji time......I don't mind sitting and chatting around the bar or pool while waiting for a drink. Meal times were fine...you don't mind waiting when the food is so fabulous. On our two visits, we've not met anyone who didn't like the resort....and we've met people of all ages. The Rydges card is a bonus as it gives you discount off drinks, and if you take your laptop you get wifi internet access at 50% discount - only $10FJ for 24 hours! We've booked car hire, done a few day trips - all booked through the tour desk - easy and hassle free. But the one thing that you cannot fault is the friendly staff - from maintenance, housekeeping through to activities, front desk etc. they are all happy helpful people. I know some people think that 2 weeks is too long at one resort, but it's like home away from home for us. We've made friends with many staff, and take the odd day trip if we feel inclined. Other than that, we walk, swim, kyak, snorkel, read and basically relax! I only wish people would do their homework before planning their vacations - they may find the resort is not for them before they spend their money. Usually the comments in the complaining reviews are simple things they should have known before leaving home but they failed to research the place first. Well, we love the Rydges Hideaway and will continue to go back on a yearly basis (hopefully) for as long as we can.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

The thought of staying at this resort is very nice: a beautiful spot on the coral coast, lounging with a mai tai in hand in the sunny weather. This wasn't our experience. Not to say that the resort was horrible. It is definitely situated in a great location for snorkeling, visiting the amazing town of Sigatoka, and trying many of the great Viti Levu offerings like hikes and river trips.

Rule #1 in Fiji: In the winter (which is generally a good time to visit Fiji), the further east you head, the worse the weather gets. In our 4 full days, we got plenty of wind, clouds and rain, but very little sun. All the while, the city of Nadi and the Yasawa Islands were basking in sunshine.

#2, Specifically at Hideaway: Service just isn't their thing. Although everyone was very friendly, they were extremely slow. This is unfortunate if you purchased the all-inclusive plan, and it takes 30 minutes to get your beer or rum and coke. It's also frustrating at any meal times.

#3, Specifically at Hideaway: I don't recommend the all-inclusive plan. It is a complete rip-off, and I rarely say something like that. During our stay, I went on the all-inclusive plan, and my wife dined without the plan. We ate and drank about the same amount and we spent about half as much on hers. For drinks, you only get soft drinks, small glasses of the local beer, and their local well liquors. They have a gorgeous menu of exotic cocktails (the bananarama is to die for), but they're not included in the plan. Same goes for dinner...there's the all-inclusive menu (which actually had some pretty good items), and the regular dinner menu. It would take quite the adventurous eater and drinker to possibly get any value out of the all-inclusive plan.

#4: The breakfast is good. Nothing special, but it was just a very pleasant breakfast. Maybe it's because it's buffet style, and you serve yourself...so you're not waiting on the staff for 20 minutes to bring you breakfast.

All in all, I don't think we'd return to this resort. We'd stick to the sunny-side of the island, for one, and try to find a place with a little more attentive service.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Fiji Hideaway Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!