“Had a great time!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Sigatoka
Everett, WA
“Had a great time!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2010

I had read the negative reviews of this resort and was nervous about what we would get. What we got was one of my favorite vacations. We spent two weeks at the resort and had the best time. The staff was awesome, friendly and very helpful. The other guests were fun to get to know. We had a few food disappointments, but nothing we could not deal with. Over all the food was good. I loved our bure, although the bures were not 5 star quality, they were very adequate. Loved the outdoor shower! Loved all the wildlife, bats, frogs, blue starfish, giant clams, coral and exotic birds. Over all the resort could use some tender loving care, but if you can over look the wear and tear the resort is all that it claims to be. I would go back in a heart beat.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
KBFiji, GM at Fiji Hideaway Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 8, 2010
Hi and thank you for posting your comments on trip advisor.

I have not been responding to the comments of late and have had a nudge from some of our regular customers, thank you so much.

I note you had a great holiday and we look forward to your return.

Thanks for the photos of the sunrise and sunset. I don't think many of our guests get to see a sunrise. One of the great unknowns of the location of Hideaway is you can get an overwater sunrise and sunset on the same day. I think that is relatively unique for a mainland resort.

Have a great day.

Kerry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

I checked this place out via Trip Advisor and I must say that all the good reports are correct. The negative reports are most likely from people who expect too much from most things! I traveled with my husband, two daughters, 17 & 18 years and two young son's 5 & 9 years. Our travel agent located this hotel for us as a stop over on the way home from a 3 week holiday in Los Angeles. It was the perfect place after the hectic pace of L.A. We had a two bedroom Bure that was facing the ocean. The view was fantastic. The accommodation was clean and adequate for us. We had an all inclusive package, food and drinks. (local beer & wine only and of course soft drinks). The food was great and there was something for everyone. The "egg man" made me the most wonderful omelette's every morning! I would recommend a family group to request this package. Good value. The boys enjoyed the kids club and the staff did a great job in keeping them entertained. The girls did the diving course and thoroughly enjoyed themselves. The beach is okay and the snorkeling is good. I made use of the day spa and had a number of massages and facials that were wonderful and not too expensive! The staff are wonderful and friendly, something you don't get in high end hotels. We came home relaxed and happy. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Hi and thank you for your comments.

We have a lot of customers that choose this resort as a relaxing stop over from an extended holiday in USA or as the last stage of an around the world trip.

This is not to say there is not enough to do here as one can be as busy as they like with the numerous activities or just chill out and relax.

I think your comments are very close to the mark and the reason we have such a high percentage of repeat customers.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family on your next visit.

Victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

We have just returned from 10 days in Fiji, 8 nights spent at hideaway on the Coral Coast. What a fantastic time we had with our 2 daughters, the people are very friendly - both the guests and staff.

The facilities at Hideaway are cosy and relaxing. We spent a lot of time around the pool,
The accomodation was good - not flash. The lack of TV's added to the communal feeling at the bar (happy hour from 4:30pm every day). I would suggest you take the 'all inclusive deal' (food and drinks spirits,beer 1/2 price cocktails included).
The food was fabulous extensive menu, we arranged the all inclusive when we arrived (around the 3rd day) for $84 Fijian per adult per day, if you book with a travel agent as people did that we meet, they paid $300 per person for a week. Very good value....

We had only booked 6 nights, thought we would move around resorts, we had a look at the Outrigger and Warrick, far to big and commercialised, (you may as well go to the Gold Coast) so we booked our remaining nights at Hideaway...

Juilie's tour to meet the elder and have a look at her Village was eye opener,learning about the Fiji way and drinking Karva...Happy 1 st Birthday to baby Grace

The evening shows were entertaining, activities during the day if you felt like joining in you could...
Our 5 yr old enjoyed kids club, video's,coral collecting ,painting, swimming ...
Murry ,Julie,Nayomee,Paula, faieze, thankyou for making our hoilday special...

Kerry a few tips for improvement..
More umbrellas around the Pool, the sun in Fiji burns so quickly.if you didn't get one you had to sit up near the bar for shade.
Kids club, staff need to be more vigilant, found our daughter running around several times by herself while in kids club, also watching video's with other kids with no staff .
I know everything runs on Fiji time..BUT a few more staff in the bar during busy times you could wait up to 10-15 min for a drink..
Friends are currently booking to come and stay with you, l'm sure they will have a fantastic time as we did...

We will be back later this year with friends....Vinaka

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Thanks Deecee

I value you comments and have just passed on a copy to the relevent departments, particularly activities (kids klub) and F & B regarding the bar service. Unfortunately this is not a new comment (bar service) and one I address regularly as it is a service and revenue aspect of our business.

One of the difficulities is you can't go mad at anyone as they are all so nice.

I will address the lack of umbrellas.

Most people will say I am passionate about Hideaway and it is true, however I am continually amazed at the high level of guest satisfaction at this resort. Sure there have been some negatives; sometimes you can't satisfy everyone. Usually the negatives come from guests who have been incorrectly informed eg "Hideaway is a 5 star resort" this is definately not the case, if people want 5 star they should go to Natandola or Denarau.

If guests are looking for a truely relaxed and fun Fijian Holiday Experience, they should consider Hideaway.

Sorry, I have been rambling on; what I was going to say was " our internal guest satisfaction has increased 6% year to date" on last year; this is an excellent result.

I look forward to meeting your friends, tell them to say Hi and I look forward to your return.

Lisboa, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

First time in Fiji and such a amazing experience!

The hotel is very good, not a major resort, but its pretty fair!! The staff was amazing!! The food is the delicious! We were upgraded to a better Bure with low cost! Not having TV in room was scary, but was the best choice in the end as it makes your staying very relaxing.

Its a bit distant from the airport and Port Denarau(90 minutes), so we had to wake up by 05:30 AM to catch transfer to our daily cruises to Mana and Castaway island.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Bula Marcel

Thank you for visiting Fiji and thank you for your comments; our staff are truely our greatest asset; the second being our location on the Coral Coast, yes 90 minutes from Nadi and a much better drive at day time than night time.

Now the "scary" part; TV's; as you can appreciate I get lots of comments on this subject and I really do not know what the answer is - for or against. Some say that if you do have TV's you do not have to turn it on but we all know that is not the case.

What I very much appreciate is the joy I see in parents taking their children to the village and seeing how happy and contented Fijian people are without all the material aspects we believe (I am speaking for most aussies) we can't do with out. We can all learn a lot from the Fijian way of life!!!

Once again, many thanks for your comments and I look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Upper Hunter Valley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

From on arrival the Fijian people are full of Bulas and smiles. this resort offers something for everyone, my husband, 2 kids and myself were captivated by the beauty of the scenery and people from day 1. The staff here (from the gardeners - reception) make you feel so welcome and freely discuss their own life growing up in Fiji. Activities staff are full of knowlege and cheek! always something to do you can't get bored here. I took 3 books with me to read by the palm trees didn't happen as there is so many things of interest to do from snorkeling to beach walking observing all the coral and fish. My whole family have learnt so much from the staff that we have taken home so much respect and appreciation. The franjipani bure we stayed in was roomy, clean and we had a wonderful view from our porch (no.93). Food was aplenty, the waiters and waitresses very nice and friendly, bar staff well they are so funny and cheeky but very experienced - great cocktail makers. Horse riding was beautfiul with Happy and Johnny we went up the mountain unfortunately the cyclone and drought had affected the area but it was still a beautiful sight. So much to do, so much to write, met so many people from around the world, do mix at the bar it is worth it. Thank you to everyone we met for making our holiday fantastic.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Bula and thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent family holiday.

Just a couple of comments ago I touched on your sentiments of learning from the Fijian people. Fiji is just a great holiday destination that keeps bringing people back.

Our very best to you and your family and we look forward to your return in the near future.

Kerry and Staff
New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2009

A two and a half hour ride on the 'Garlic Express" (Coral Sun Shuttle) delivered us to Hideaway from Lautoka mid afternoon. Check in was quick, accurate and efficient as we were banded with silver 'All Inclusive' wristbands and escorted by an informative porter to our Ocean View Villa.

Absolute sea front it said, and absolute sea fron it was, with fantasic views across to the thundering reef some two hundred metres away from our front door. After our 13 metre cabin on the Blue Lagoon cruise the enormous 90 sq metres of the villa was a little overwhelming. Huge panoramic windows and double glass doors, a king-sized New Zealand 'Sealy bed with artfully hung mosquito netting, his and hers washbasins in the en suite, plus his and hers showers, plus another outdoor shower over a tiled bath. Then another handbasin and make-up mirror off the lounge. This was flanked by a hanging wardrobe on one side, and a small refrigerator, safe and coffee making facilies on the other. A tiny cupboard either side of the bed, a glass topped table in front of the double sofa with a beautiful floral display, a further table beneath the standard lamp, A controllable ceiling fan, a multitude of wall and ceiling lights, all with dimmers, and a really efficient air conditiong unit. Absolutely delightful.

But - where do we put our luggage? There is a small slatted shelf under each handbasin. There is a small shelf over the safe. Nothing else. Not even a standard hotel lugage rack. A note to Hideaway - you need a set of drawers in these units.

Daily servicing was efficient and discreet, a nice touch being the daily maintenance of the flower arrangements. Another sensible idea is the choice to have bed linen changed.

There has been some talk on the Forum about renovations at Hideaway. We saw no sign of this, but it was obvious that our villa had been redecorated fairly recently, along with all the sea front bures..

In fact, we would not have wanted to stay at Hideaway other than in beachfront accommodation. Most of the other bure's patios look straight onto the back of another - and these due to a coat of paint. The gardens are nicely kept, with a profusion of blooms.

The restaurant and bar complex is located at the main entrance, some 300 metres from our villa no 303. We were happy with this distance, for obvious reasons. Very good design, with a choice of sail-covered outdoor dining, or the conventional covered restaurant with quietly revolving fans.Apart from the comprehensive buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner times seemed fairly flexible, and fo both meals a standard multi-choice menu was presented, along with a daily blackboard four course menu. We were somewhat taken aback by the prices: $16 for soup, $17 fgor an entree and up to $40 for the main course. But for us on the all inclusive, this was academic ??

Generally the food was very good, with generous servings from the set and daily menus, and with the breakfast buffet varied and extensive. The 'Egg-Chef' being particularly talented, with some of his half-cooked omelette exploits definitely in the 'Don't try this at home' category. The service at lunch and dinner was sometimes brisk, sometimes lethargic, with staff not allocated to specific groups of tables. I noticed that some of the staff on duty at breakfast were still there lste in the day.

The entertainment provided both in the bar and later in trhe restaurant was ty[ically and delightfully Fijian. Not brash, not overwhelming, but just expertly relaxing. The later group entertainers were very similar - a real pleasure.

The bar opened from 10 am. Have to say though, that anyone needing aslcohol, or coffee, was in for a long wait. The bar was usually under-staffed by tired looking trudging people. I had the impression they were all expected to be fully multi-tasking, seriously overworked and underpaid. Or maybe it was just Fiji Time ??

The 'All Inclusive' deal inluded all meals, all local sprits and wines. Other, more exotic drinks were extra, as were cocktails, and these varied in price from $12 to $22. Regardless of our 'All Inclusive' status, every single purchase had to be signed for on a computer generated docket. I did notice that some dockets were marked 'All Inclusive'. Some were not. Some were shown as a minus total; some were not. But we were 'All Inclusive', so surely our status would be tagged on the main computer?

So now to the sour bit. My partner had indulged with a few cocktails, so I was prepared for a small account. Instead I was presented with a 3 figure bill, which included $40 for pool towels (never seen or used) plus over $60 for a meal, plus other small sundry charges. When I queried this, the clerk printed out a new invoice (without change of expression, argument or explanation) which roughly equated to my expectations. This suggeste two scenarios to me. Either it was deliberate, or their accountancy procedures are totally slack. I would suggest the latter. Whatever, it made the amplified playing of 'Ni sa lei' as we left, somewhat hypocritical. I would suggest to anyone using this resort - whether on an all inclusive or a pay as you go basis to keep a very careful record of money spent. A bit of a chore, but in our experience very necessary.

Would we go there again. Probably not. Would we recommend it? Yes, but with reservations.

Feel free to email me for any other details

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
brooms head
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2009

We had ten wonderful days with the friendly staff at Hideaway. Rooms clean and spacious but the precious memories are of the way the staff dealt with my son who has autism. Their respect and acceptance of him was beautiful to see and much appreciated by us. I want to go back and I NEVER go back to the same place twice. Nvaraka to the people at Hideaway.

Stayed November 2009, traveled with family

Been to Fiji Hideaway Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!