“Great but not perfect” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fiji Hideaway Resort & Spa

You added Fiji Hideaway Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Fiji Hideaway Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Queens Road, Sigatoka, Viti Levu Box 233, Sigatoka, Fiji   |
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Sigatoka
Certificate of Excellence 2014
An Aussie in Canada
“Great but not perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

My family stayed at the Hideaway for 7 nights in early August 2013. From what I read here I was expecting the staff to be utterly marvellous and friendly but we didn't experience that at all. They were just ordinary staff and no friendlier than any others, and no one remembered our names or anything like that.

Anyway, we found the grounds to be lovely and I really liked the decor in the bure we were in, but like others have said, some things are a bit tired and worn. There are no TVs in the room, so be aware of that if you have kids you were hoping to get some downtime from by putting them in front of the telly! The rooms are very dark too... there's insufficient lighting in there.

The breakfast buffet was included in our package and was really good - cereals, eggs whichever way you wanted, toasted sandwiches made to order, bacon, tomatoes, hash browns, baked beans, fruit and yoghurt and juice. There is a great little hamburger and sub stand by the pool which is well worth it - hamburgers for round $6FJD, though it closes at 4 pm. My hubby and I both got Fiji belly on the trip a few days into our stay there. I had a massage at the resort as it was included in the price but it wasn't enjoyable. She massaged my head first with massage oil leaving it awfully greasy - yuck! The beach isn't great for hanging around on unless you have shoes because the shells cut the feet - it's not a place with soft, fine sand. The pool though is lovely and a nice place to hang out and watch resort life go by,

I'd say the thing which let the resort down was the staff... the kitchen/wait staff in particular were not very accommodating or friendly. And note that the resort is a 90-min drive from the airport. Overall we had a good stay but if the staff had been friendlier and more helpful the stay would have been an excellent one. We did have a problem in our room with the bathroom door not closing, which they came and fixed the next day, and the wardrobe door getting stuck and not opening, which they came and fixed straight away,so I was pleased about that.

Room Tip: If wifi is important to you tell reception before you are allocated a room, as some bures don't...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My Husband and I arrived at the Hideaway on 7 August 2013 and stayed until the 14th. It was our second time to Fiji, but first at the Hideaway.

I booked through myFiji and had no problems at all (I had enquired with another travel agent who never got back to me). MyFiji were very helpful and our bookings were easy and fast.

As for the Hideaway itself, it took us a day or so to work our way around the resort and start meeting people. By day two, we were well and truly settled into "Fiji Time".

I was amazed at how the staff remembered our names so quickly - after seeing so many guests each day, it made a personal touch and we felt included in their family quite quickly. Thanks to Jule, Voli, Va, Naomi, Casa, Elite, Lita and so many more (I'm sorry, I can't remember you all). By the end of the week, Ian was known as "Chief" for wearing his Fiji shirt and Sulu.

We were in an ocean bure, 20 metres to the water. The accommodation was roomy, comfortable and clean. I have no complaints about the room. I have read reviews about the rooms being old and tired ....... hey, who spends that much time in their room anyway!!!!

I loved the welcome message on the bed when we arrived - the girls had cut fronds from the palm tree and spelt out "Bula. Welcome" on our bed - what a lovely touch.

The second day was our wedding anniversary, and we were surprised to go back to our room and find a lovely handmade basket with fruit, from the housekeeping girls.

Each day we had new activities to do, trips outside the resort and the staff made sure that we didn't go bored. We made friends with the staff at the dive shop - Joe is a great instructor for those who have never been scuba diving but want to give it a go. Ma looked after me well. I went out on my first scuba dive and love it.
Luke, Male and Tuvi kept us entertained each day around the pool and the bar. My favourite was the "Sundance" each midday.

We looked forward to the lighting of the flames each night to signify "Happy Hour" and the games around the bar. Watch out, Fiji rules apply!

One of our tours we had organised (outside the resort) was cancelled on the morning we were to go (due to lack of numbers). The resort staff whom we had gotten to know made sure we had other things to do. Sowani was able to make arrangements for us to visit a local village and waterfall via taxi and personal guide. We felt privileged.

Sowani's knowledge of the village is amazing. As the head man, he is very proud of his village and all the folk within.

The entertainment was great - something different every night. Our favourite were the kids and singers from the local village choir. Looking forward to seeing them when they come to Brisbane.

The food.......... we came on the meal package. We ate so much food - one night I couldn't eat dinner I was so full. The meals were amazing and we couldn't believe that such good food could come under a package. We were allowed a 2 course meal each, so one would order entrée and main, and the other main and dessert. This way we got to eat a three course meal.

The breakfast chef, Fiya, was funny and kept the kids entertained with his magic tricks. We got to thank the dessert chef personally for making us put on so much weight. We met Wazil, who ran the whole kitchen, and told him how impressed we were with the food. I even managed to get the recipe for my favourite dish.

We had no problems with the drinks. The bar staff made amazing cocktails. The beer and sparkling wine flowed cold and freely most of the day.

The only downside - I did get a bit of "bali belly" for a couple of days, but that comes with travelling anywhere in the world and eating food and drinking water which you are not used to. I just changed to drinking soda water and a few "tips" from Sowani had me feeling better in no time. I was determined that a funny tummy wasn't going to ruin my trip.

I enjoyed the spa treatment - massage, pedicure, manicure and spa bath while my husband was out diving. This was included in the $500 room credit so I didn't feel guilty about indulging myself.

Overall our trip was sensational. After all, a holiday is what you make out of it. On the day we left, I felt quite emotionally attached to the Hideaway family and didn't want to go home. Fijiians are truly beautiful people.

Their saying is "Arrive as guests and go home as friends"..... and we did.

Vinaka for everything, and we WILL be back.!!!!

Karen and Ian (Room 6)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Nothing wrong with the place except for the fact they obviously have no water filter and wash the salads, make the ice cubes and probably use the unfiltered tap water for other prep as well. All of which results in holiday makers getting sick. My daughter and I were sick on and off for the entire week of our stay. I talked to others staying at the Hideaway who told me similar stories. So, what could have been an enjoyable break was totally wrecked by a permanent feeling of nausea.

Room Tip: We had an ocean-view bure, which was very nice.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed at the hideaway from the 4th August to the 11th August 2013 this was our 5 stay at the resort and our best time ever. The team there are fantastic Chandar Dutt ( the general manager) Joana the manager where wonderful looked after us so well, as for the staff Naomi,Usa, Jule, Wais, Laite, Adelaide,Luke just made our holiday perfect they greeted us back like long lost family. We have told our friends over the years to stay at The Hideaway and all have come back raving how good it was and some have retuned for their second stay. We are going back next October 2014 for our 6th visit if you are thinking of going to Fiji definately stay at The Hideaway and book through My Fiji for the best deal ( deal is all food including Lobster , local spirits and Beer and $500 to your room) on our departure our bill was $14 so you can't get better value than that. The best thing about our stay is the staff you wont find better at any other resort in Fiji. If you want to know more contact me on Trip Advisor and i am more than happy to help. So Chandar and Joana see you next year and again a big thank you from us we will be back Vinaka.
regards
Sandra Smith and Charlie Turpin

Room Tip: The Ocean Front Buree are the best for sea views and when you book on My Fiji take the $100 upgrade...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

The staff at the Fiji Hideaway are beautiful, friendly and the happiest people we saw in Fiji. Special mention of our housekeeper and the beautiful Silo. If you want to feel part of Fiji, please stay there.

• Stayed August 2013
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Booked with Myfji - won't be using them again. Nothing smooth about their service...easier to use expedia - and they failed to request our interconnecting room.

Our review is not great - and it is the first time I have wondered if Tripadvisor reviews get 'doctored' - as we booked this resort after reading reviews....and the reality is far from the reviews!

Arrived on a full moon (super moon) , waves were crashing over the break and the day spa actually got flooded out...found this somewhat concerning / obviously nothing the resort can control but not that relaxing at night when you are wondering if a wave is going to come up and hit the bure!

The location is lovely, nice clear water and the kids loved reef walking and looking at the tropical fish. Unfortunately the resort does the location no justice. The rooms are old and tired as is the bed linen and towels. There are some luxury bures that looked nice but they do not fit families. We booked two beach view bures that were supposed to interconnect - they did not have any...so for the first two nights they expected us to put our two young children in a separate room to us, or one of us needed to sleep in each room so the children were accompanied!! NO ...so we all stayed in one which was very uncomfortable (one child in our bed the other on the day bed) and a waste of $. Add this to the waves crashing over the break ...not much sleep had. We spent two days trying to get that sorted and to be honest the staff were not that interested in sorting it out at all (we were even willing to pay to upgrade...hoping for a nicer room)...They finally moved us to an interconnecting room which was a bit nicer but still pretty unacceptable in condition. Anyway...we were just happy to be able to have the kids in another room that we had access to.

The pool area needs a serious upgrade and is almost dangerous because of the dodgy 'fix ups' they have done....the slide is rusty, but the kids were happy to swim in it. The pool activities are fun.

We wanted to play tennis but no kids racquets! (family resort???) Asked to do archery and were told they only had one bow and that it was broken! MASSIVE FAIL _ DONT ADVERTISE WHAT YOU DONT HAVE.

Trivia nights during happy hour are good fun and the staff entertainment is pretty good too.

Food was okay - about what you would expect in an all inclusive situation. The service was friendly but the standard "sorry about the wait" gets boring - and we go to fiji a lot and expect fiji time...but 25mins for a drink is way to long - and if you offer a buffet people shouldn't have to search high and low for a plate. The chef that cooks the eggs in the morning was a little creepy too...chatting up women. We also became a little ill on our last day there - the hygiene in the eating areas needs to be addressed.

Day Spa is cheaper than at the other resorts by far - but it's a 'you get what you pay for' situation. I would rather pay more and have a quality experience. In saying that the staff are very polite and friendly.

At check out we paid part cash and wanted the balance on the credit card - she took our cash ($600) and still put the full amount on the credit card . We luckily checked and I am 100% sure that if we had picked this up on arriving home we would still be trying to get the money back now! It took 40 minutes for them to reverse the transaction....not rocket science- you take the eftpos machine and do a reverse transaction onto the credit card. Again it was only by luck that we checked out early and had time to sort this out before the transfer arrived.

The kids club was clean and had a nice selection of books and the care takers very nice - our kids enjoyed their time with them.

We did a garden tour of the resort and found it very enjoyable as did our kids (which we didn't expect!) The gardener was friendly and knowledgable.

Loved walking on the beach and just hanging out. Great that the kids loved this too (no tv or internet - yeh!)

Overall we won't return. We would rather pay slightly more and stay at the Shangri - la or Outrigger where they maintain standards. The staff were nice but this does not compensate for the rest.

Hope the review is helpful - we travel a lot and give very honest feedback. Considering all the other hotels in fiji we have stayed at (Raddison, Sheraton, Sheraton Villas, Shangri - la, Westin) the Hideaway does not make the grade for us.

Room Tip: Pay for a deluxe room...although this is of no use if you have small children
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
FijiHideaway, Manager at Fiji Hideaway Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Bula Moosey_goosey,
Thankyou for your feedback. We are very sorry to hear of your recent stay with us didnot live up to your usual standards. We appreciate all feedback from guests and we have never or will never doctor anyone's response.
We sincerely apologise for the error at checkout and will take your feedback on board, regarding our facilities.
We thank you for taking the time to share this with us.
Vinaka,
Joana
moss vale
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Our first few days at Hideaway where amazing I agree with all comments about the staff remembering your name the food and service where A+++ stand outs where joe on the bar marley and tiny entertainment big bula to them !!! the all inclusive is well worth it ... I don't want this review to be negative but I think everyone should be aware . We booked a fishing trip with the activities staff and we did think it was odd they wanted us to pay cash not book to our room , we did not have that amount of cash on us so they pulled in the boat to a atm ( odd) our boat broke down so we where stranded ( in a lovely place thank god not in the middle of the sea)
Management had to be called to pick us up , when back at the resort I tried to go to the bank there as they said cash only for fishing trip , as it was closed the person in charge asked me why I needed cash I told them for the trip !! I was asked how much and I told them , they then called the fishing boys angry at the amount they had charged us (I over heard ) but we will still charged the rip off amount for the trip ,with management being full aware of what happen ( even with the break down off the boat no offer of compensation) after that our whole trip seemed ruined the staff where well aware there boys got into trouble for trying to rip us off and they where cold toward us !!!! until that point I loved the Hideaway and would have recommended to all ... on check out I still realized they will still charging the extra $200 ( the staff tried to skim off us) it was not till I asked for it to be taken off the bill that it was !!!!! Bad Management most would offer a refund on the trip or at least a apology ( not just ignore it and hope they don't notice) besides that i loved it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bula Sandtb25411,
On behalf of the team (Management & Staff), I would like to thankyou for choosing Fiji Hideaway Resort &Spa for your holiday destination. We do value your stay here with us. Also would like to thank you for your feedback. We sincerely apologise for for your experience regarding your fishing trip. Unfortunately at the time of your stay our charter boat was undergoing maintenance so we w had to orgarnise it with an external contractor. This was an unusual arrangement for us as we normally orgarnise tours with our own charter, however we appreciate there were certainly some details that were less than ideal (such as having to pay cash). Please accept our sincere apology for this.
Vinaka
Joana.

Been to Fiji Hideaway Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!