“Could not fault the place!!” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Resort   |   P.O. Box 173, Sigatoka, Viti Levu, Fiji   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Sigatoka
melbourne
“Could not fault the place!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

I simply cannot fault this resort!!

We went to Fiji with family and I took along my then 6 month old... We arrived by Private Transfer after an hr drive from Nadi airport. First impressions were 'WOW'. The place was very tidy and neat and the staff were incredibly friendly. We were given cool face washers and some weird drink thing still not sure what it was, but it was refreshing. A staff member came and gave us a private introduction to the resort and took us to our room.

The rooms were fantastic. We got a joint room with my mother in law. Very neat and incredibly clean rooms. The airconditioning worked a treat!!

We stayed there for 7 nights and purchased 3 days worth of meal vouchers for my boyfriend and I. WELL WORTH IT!! I am glad we didnt purchase 7 days worth as we would have had some left over.

The first thing u notice when you arrive in the resort is 'BULA!' by the end of the 7 days I was pretty over saying it but it just goes to show how friendly these folk really are. When they saw we had a baby they gave us extra attention and gave corey kisses and hugs which he loved. There are a few restaurants there but the meal vouchers allow you to eat at 3 restaurants. There is also an adults only restaurant which isnt covered by the vouchers but you can still get this charged to your room as opposed to having to carry cash with you all the time which turns out to be very dangerous!! If your concerned about how much money you spend I dont advise charging things to your room as you can charge drinks and even icecream to your room and you pay the bill at the end.

I found the resort not to be cheap in the way of meals and drinks however it personally did not phase me a great deal as everything else was amazing.. The service is a little slow but thats the whole 'Fiji Time' thing and I found I didnt really mind cos your so relaxed anyways you dont really care how long it takes for your drink to come.

The pool is freakin MASSIVE! We managed to sit pool side under the shade most days and there are plenty of shady areas. The poolside drinks service starts at around 10 or 11am and the staff are incredibly helpful and on our last day we even tipped our guy who waited on us most days.

I didnt use the kids club however I did organise a babysitter a few nights to come into the room and look after corey while he slept and I found that they were very polite and even tipped them (I guess we were feeling the love!!) tipping is not customary however if you saw the villages a lot of these people lived in you would feel compassion and tip them also.

I didnt drink the water, I used bottled water however I did shower and gargle their water and didnt get crook.

With the baby, the staff in the restaurants heated our bottles for us and even washed and steralised them for us without fuss (as we were asking a lot!!) and we used bottled water purchased from the store next door to the resort and boiled that water and used it for his bottles.

I honestly could not sit here and fault the place. The food was INCREDIBLE, the staff were so friendly, the cocktails were amazing and lots of variety.

I will definitely be coming back here and cant wait!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Manjita, Guest Relations Manager at Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji, responded to this review, September 5, 2010
Bula ErinScottCorey

Thank you for your detailed description of our Hotel, its facilities and the surrounding area. We really appreciate your feedback and are glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji.

It was a pleasure to welcome you on this Outrigger Holiday and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Outrigger 'Vuvale' (Family).

Moreen Manjita

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Polish first
Gold Coast, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

Very largge resort. Many families and lots of children ! Staff very friendly. Room very spacious and comfortable. The Bebe Spa and Bar are a must - we had some awsome evenings in the Bar and were the only ones there ! A great place to escape the noise of the main resort! The Spa well worth a visit.
The IVI restaurant is highly recommended and we had a superb meal at a very reasonable cost. Staff great.
A good resort for a short stay on the Coral Coast unless one has children !

Bula eburgess13,
Vinaka for your kind feedback! We thank you for choosing Outrigger on the Lagoon. Fiji as your holiday destination. Your wonderful comments about rooms, bebe spa, restaurants & bars, resort amenities were enjoyable to read. Our team takes great pride in ensuring even the smallest facet of your stay is enjoyable and a reflection of the genuine warmth of the Fijian people. Once again thank you for recommending our property on trip advisor and we look forward in welcoming you back to the Outrigger 'Vuvale'(Family).

Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

Enjoyed a very pleasant five days at the Outrigger in August. The staff were probably the friendliest in the world and every one greeted you with "Bula" whenever they met you! The grounds and pool are amazing and very child friendly. The breakfasts were excellent though the rest of the meals were very expensive and, although we didn't eat much there, we were told they were not too good. However, a very friendly little cafe/bar run by Shana,can be found just to the right of the resort, along the beach. Her son is a taxi driver and can also arrange sightseeing trips.
We stayed in the main building where the rooms were large and had a good view of the resort and sea beyond. There are also bures which looked very nice, too. The laundrette was fantastic - this may be an unusual subject to talk about - but it was very efficient and you could sit outside, in the sun, while you waited!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Manjita, Guest Relations Manager at Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji, responded to this review, August 30, 2010
Bula Dorothy3107,

Thank you for your feedback. We certainly appreciate all the feedback as it assists us in improving our product and service. I have noted your comments in relation to the cheaper food next door. I should also add that our full buffet prices for dinner at AUD$35.00 and our gourmet pizzas which we sell at AUD$13.00 each, are reasonably priced and of a very good quality. We are very proud of the quality of food and beverage that we provide in our 4 restaurants and 5 bars. We are delighted to advise the meal package of FJ$99 + a tax per person for 3 meals is great value. Your wonderful comments about rooms, guest laundry services, resort amenities and most importantly our staff were enjoyable to read.

Once again thank you for sharing this with fellow trip advisors readers of you holiday experience and we look forward to welcoming you back to Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji at some time in the not too distant future.

Tauranga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

Firstly we read the reviews prior to our trip and since returning to NZ. Most of the less positive reviews were from Australians and northern hemisphere residents which is nothing unusual. All I can say to them is when you travel to the islands you need to leave your own culture at your front door and simply allow your self to enjoy a more layed back lifestyle, which after all, is the purpose of going to the islands on holiday. We found the hotel, the grounds, the people and the service to be fantastic. The Outrigger promotional material and welcoming information provided was accurate in all respects. This being our third time to Fiji on holiday, we enjoyed it immensely and one holiday we will not forget. The bubbly and nightcap was an awesome touch and while the food may seem a little expensive to some, we found it to be at a good standard and enjoyed it anyway, afterall if your holiday is set around food then you may as well stay at home. Our Butlers, Lerisa and Miri (servicing room 424) were always on time, friendly and an absolute fine example of Fijian hospitality. We will be returning to the Outrigger, next time hopefully with our entire family. To all those at the Resort and at the Bebe Spa, we thank you for an excellant time and look forward to seeing you again soon.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Manjita, Guest Relations Manager at Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji, responded to this review, August 31, 2010
Bula GrahamNZ,

Many thanks for your kind feedback! We are so glad to hear your Outrigger on the Lagoon experience covered all your essential requirements for a perfect holiday. It was great to have you as our guests at Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji and we appreciate you taking the time to providing review of your experience with others. We strive to provide our guests with memorable vacation experiences; we appreciate your comments about our “beautiful resort”, “Talai (Butler) service”, “great food” and mostly importantly our staff. Our staff is our greatest asset and your comments reflect their hard work and dedication to guests. Laisa and Miri will be delighted with their special mention!! I look forward to passing your feedback onto the team. Again thank you for recommending our property on Trip Advisor and we look forward in welcoming you back in the near future.

South Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

I loved Fiji and am definitely going back and thought the Outrigger was great in a lot of ways. I travelled with my 8 year old daughter for 9 days who loved it and really enjoyed her stay and made some great friends and was frequent at the pool (all day long!) and at the Kids Club. We met some wonderful staff there who treated us with genuine kindness and interest.
I pretty much wanted to relax the whole time while I was at the Resort, apart from the tours eg. Sigatoka River Cruise - this one is a must (visiting traditional Fijian villages)! The resort itself was a great 5 star resort and all inclusive, the rooms I thought were decent but more like 3 star, the food (me being a vegetarian and a health freak) was ok, breakfast was indeed fabulous, staff were very good & attentive.
The stuff that I didn't like: Only one pool which was always too busy & crowded & loud, very loud in the mornings with the activities, aerobics with speaker system and 1 song played over and over and over - 5 times over listening to "I Like It" by Enrique Iglesias, eeer YUK and why do that?!! Couldn't stand all the ridiculously loud pop music in the mornings. I stayed as far as possible to that speaker as I could every day. The person/people speaking into the microphone was ridiculously repetitive and loud. When I go to a Resort I do expect quiet and relaxation, that's just me though, I understand that.
Even though it's a great hotel for kids & families, it didn't suit my needs wanting a little more serenity. I didn't really appreciate being constantly asked all day if I wanted a drink by the pool. I was actually woken up several times dosing off. If I want a drink I'm able to ask or get it. I understand being attentive to guest's needs by the pool and having that convenience but I don't think it's necessary to approach people especially if they are reading or sleeping. Also I wouldn't recommend buying the meal vouchers (breakfast, lunch & dinner) unless you want to eat a huge amount of food. After breakfast buffet at 9.30-10.00am, I don't need lunch. The Resort should offer Dinner packages, & not just all 3 meals. So a lot of these vouchers were not used and a waste of money.
All in all, good but would just try something else, somewhere else

• Stayed August 2010
Bula Stelaski,

It is only through your valuable comments that we can continue to improve our product and service for you, our valued guest. I will pass on your comments to our team and share your experience. I am delighted to note that your comments in which you praise the efficiency of our team work and excellent hospitality of our staff. We note your point on the noise level and service received by the pool side wait staff around the pool and will be addressed with respective department managers. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused during your stay and would like to assure you that appropriate actions will be taken to avoid further dissatisfaction. It was unfortunate that you did not enjoy the meal plan deal. I am pleased to note that you were impressed with the breakfast and service received from the main restaurant. . Our theme nights in Vale Ni Kana are always popular however we have three other a la carte restaurants that all offer their own style of culinary flair. From a price perspective we offer very reasonable prices with the average price of our buffets being $35 AUD this including nightly entertainment. We certainly appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to Outrigger on the Lagoon•Fiji.

Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

Returned 23 August 2010 ... truly relaxed and refreshed. I would like to open my review with a comment on some of the bad reviews ... remember people, this is NOT Australia so stop comparing it. Don't complain about your room if you are staying in the cheapest type ... you get what you pay for! Sorry, just had to get the negatives over and done with.
We were also a little apprehensive about what to expect at this Resort but had a wonderful time soaking up the laid back culture. From the get go our holiday started with excellent service - the staff were absolutely FABULOUS, friendly, helpful, genuine and totally loving to all children. We stayed for 7 nights in a beachfront bure 404 and LOVED IT - sooooo relaxing. Special thanks to Solate plus Jonetani (Talai Butlers) and Paulina (our housekeeper) for making our holiday so pleasant VINAKA.

Bula Jaxnova,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such valuable feedback regarding your stay with us. We appreciate your wonderful feedback on the service you received from our staff. Our staff is our greatest asset and your comments reflect their hard work and dedication to guests. Salote, Jonetani and Paulina will be delighted with their special mention!

Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

We have just returned from a 10 day holiday at the Outrigger on the Lagoon and can highly recommend it!

From the enthusiastic 'Bula' you receive at the hotel gate to the garlanded/warm towel and drinks welcome, our trip to the Outrigger did not disappoint.

Due to the unavailability of the room type that we booked, we were upgraded to a room nearer to the beach and everything was exactly as had been described on the website, which is refreshing! The entire complex is immaculately maintained and the staff friendly and helpful at all times.

We have 2 children (4 and 2) and there was plenty for them to do both in and around the complex and also at the Kids Club. We also took advantage of the 'Mei Mei' nanny service that provided us with 4 days of nannying (with 2 4 hour blocks per day).

We stayed in a beachfront bure that has a butler service and we loved the bubbles and canapes at tea-time and the night cap before bedtime. It is touches like these that made our holiday one to remember.

The hotel itself is situated some 10 mins from Sigatoka, so you would need a car to get a round despite a bus stop outside the door. There is nothing other than one small bar/shop nearby. This inevitably meant that we stayed in the hotel and charged everything to the room, which is hardly an inexpensive way to do it!

This is a fantastic place to stay (especially when you take advantage of the free kayaking/snorkelling) and we'd love to be able to afford to come back here every year!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Bula Colin_NZ,

On behalf of the entire team of Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji we wish to thank you for having chosen us for your holiday destination. We are delighted to note that you fully enjoyed your stay with us and rate your vacation as “Paradise found”. We will pass on your comments to our team and share your experience. I am delighted to note that your comments in which you praise the efficiency of the staff. Also, I was glad to know that the resort amenities and service exceeded your expectations! Thank you once again for taking the time to write the review and we look forward in welcoming you back to the Outrigger ‘Vuvale’ (family).

Customer Relations Manager

Been to Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji? Share your experiences!