“One unpleasant experience can taint a holiday” 3 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Resort   |   P.O. Box 173, Sigatoka, Viti Levu, Fiji   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Sigatoka
Tasmania
“One unpleasant experience can taint a holiday”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

We had spent 5 nights at the Westin Denarau before our visit to the Outrigger so we were in a position to compare both resorts. We have also been to Fiji 4 times in 4 years to other resorts and islands.
Our visit was coloured by the first few hours after arrival. After our transfer dropped us off we proceeded to check in which went well until our credit card was needed for a deposit. Before leaving Australia we informed our bank that our cards would be used in Fiji and we made sure we had adequate credit on them. The person checking us in on the morning of Saturday 26th July informed us that our card was declined. We tried all our other cards which were also declined. The reception person told us they would therefore need to have a cash deposit which we provided; it took almost all our cash. We were both very concerned about our credit cards and when we got to the room tried to connect to the internet to check our bank accounts, but could not because our credit card was not connected to our room as we had used a cash deposit. After another conversation with the same person on reception, she informed me that if I brought something at the café, I would get free internet for 30 minutes. I had very little cash with it being taken as a deposit but was just able to purchase a can of lemonade, which I then proceeded to check my bank account on the internet. This proved our credit card had the funds. Two frantic phone calls back to Australia from our room at our expense, we were told by our bank that there had actually been no transactions on our credit cards so it could not have been declined because there had been no transaction attempted; our bank said that the fault was with the terminal in the hotel. My husband and I proceeded to the reception, the person who checked us in, saw us coming and disappeared into the back office at reception and we spoke with another receptionist who told us in fact the terminal which our cards were tried on was down and it seemed to be a regular thing! We said we wanted our cash back and our cards used for deposit. There was a lot of heated talk in Fijian amongst the person we dealt with initially who had reappeared and the second person which we found quite rude as we do not understand Fijian, it seemed obvious that they were referring to us. The first person slapped our cash on the counter in an aggressive manner. Our credit cards were run through another machine (why wasn’t that tried in the first place!). This experience caused my husband and I a lot of stress and left a nasty taste. We were in a Fiji, we were told we had no credit on our cards and she took all our cash, how vulnerable would you feel in this situation?
Pros:
Beautiful grounds, well maintained.
We loved the adult pool and were pleased to see staff enforced the Adults only rule unlike other resorts we have been to. We spent most of our time here. The wait staffs were very good.
Meals were plentiful and good variety at Vale Ni kana, well prepared and cooked. Breakfasts were plentiful also and a good variety. We enjoyed the themed buffets very much. We also enjoyed our visits to the Sundowner restaurant for lunch and dinner. Wait staff were pleasant and friendly and did their best to give us a nice quiet table each day at both restaurants.
Both Butlers (Eperama and Jone) we had were very good, very professional and always asked us if there was anything we needed. They gave us good ideas for entertainment in the resort.
Great views from our room 736 and a very comfortable bed.
The views from the Bebe Spa were amazing and spectacular. Kalokalo restaurant again the views were just fantastic.
Cons:
I would like to know how you are rated 5 star? Who rates you or are you self-rated?
Ocean view room was dated considering you are supposed to be a 5 star hotel in our opinion this means no shower over a bath, good bed linen and towels.
Maid service: even though we were out of our room most of the day and had the ‘Maid service’ sign up we never seemed to be able to get our room serviced until the afternoon. On the day of the carnival we made sure we were up and out of our room by 8.30 am with the sign up, we came back at 3.30 pm to find our room had not been serviced but the maid service were in the next room to ours. We waited and waited for them to service our room, by then it was 4.15 pm and they had finished the next room. We were obviously forgotten about. My husband went to find them as we were waiting to get ready to go out again. He was told they would be there shortly, there was still no sign of them so I went to find them, spoke to I think a supervisor and she said they would be along. It was 4.45 pm by the time they had arrived, they made the bed gave us fresh towels, a cursory sweep of the room and were gone by 5 pm! Most unsatisfactory all round!
The internet: What can I say, high speed it is not. I purchased a weeks’ worth so I could keep contact with my small business and family members. For the first 4 days I could not get connected for more than 5 minutes before it disconnected. I rang Global Gossips several times (7 on the room phone) who told me it was a coverage problem. I spoke to reception who said they would speak to their technicians and get them to phone me back (which they never did). I did make a stand on checking out and was refunded some of the $100 I paid for the week’s internet which was the right thing to do for a sub- standard service.
It is very rude at reception for receptionists to converse with one another in their language whilst checking in and checking out hotel clients. Not to mention unprofessional!! We found the staff elsewhere around the resort just lovely, friendly and more than helpful, it is your reception staff that let you down.
We are very glad we came, but would we come back again? I really don’t think so. Would we recommend you? Not sure, maybe to families with children.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Dear LindaC11
Sunny greetings from the Coral Coast!
My team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji are all about providing quality holiday experiences to our guests. I sincerely apologise that we have failed in this mission. As you have stated one minor incident or one staff member, by not doing their job correctly can spoil a holiday. I assure you that we take your feedback seriously and we have taken the appropriate action with the relevant staff members to rectify all areas of concern! Our policy is to only speak English in front of our guests. It was totally unacceptable that the staff communicated in Fijian.
Our room are serviced between 10.00am and 4.00pm daily – Should guests require a specific time for their room to be serviced then we can make these arrangements. We are also in the process of upgrading up IT connectivity.
LindaC11, I thank you for your comments! Once again I sincerely apologise that we failed to meet the quality of service that our beautiful resort is renowned for.

Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (657)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

We were recently married at the Outrigger, Fiji. We couldn't be more happier with the day and our stay. The resort is amazing and the staff made an effort to get to know your name and greet you with a massive "BULA!". All staff were really helpful, friendly and happy to have a chat.

Our wedding planner Asmeen did an amazing job making sure the day ran smoothly, offering heaps of time when we finally arrived to go through all our options. She was available anytime to answer any questions we had. We can't thank her enough.

The ladies at Wave Lengths were fantastic! All our hair and makeup was perfect. Make up wasn't over done and hair stayed in place all day. One of the girls even came down to my room to help attach my veil and put a proper bow on my dress. Went above and beyond what was expected or asked.

Our flowers were perfect. I picked them from an image and they were even more beautiful in real life.

Our wedding day was perfect. Masada our resort photographer was great to work with. We have so many beautiful photos to work with. His creativity and love for working with people really came through. Masada was fun and made posing for photos an enjoyable experience.

The ceremony in the chapel was beautiful and our reception in the terrace area was stunning. BBQ buffet option was absolutely yummy. All the staff should be complemented on their hospitality throughout the night. I can't speak more highly of the evening.

Our DJ, DJ Inosi, kept us entertained throughout the night with new and old party tunes. Although he did miss a few specific requests no one really seamed to notice. Everyone had a great time on the dance floor!

The Polynesian Fire Show option was well worth it. They were really entertaining and got us moving to some Polynesian danes (the boys did an entertaining Macarena) before going outside and doing the fire show. The fire show was one of the best I've seen!

We had 38 family and friends come with us to celebrate our special day. Most complimented my husband and I and the Outrigger for hosting the best wedding they had ever been to.

Our stay at the Outrigger was 7 nights but we wish it was longer. Vahavu bar and pool was our favorite spot for lunch and cocktails in the pool. Vani, Waisele, Mere, Jack Johnson and Amena were lovely. We had a great time with our friends chatting to them all day and they made the best cocktails. Try the cool bananas!!

Buffy at front reception was great. Greeted us when we first arrived as weary travelers with a big smile and was really helpful. She greeted us every time we went to reception helping us with anything and everything. She gave us a big hug as we left the resort, which was really sweet.

We had the time of our life at the Outrigger. Everything was perfect! We hope to bring the kids back one day.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Tanz0210
A huge “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
I am absolutely delighted that we could provide you and your husband with such a memorable wedding and holiday experience! As you found out the best thing about a holiday at our beautiful resort is our amazing staff. I was pleased to read that your wedding went so well! I will most definitely share your comments with Masada, Inosi, Buffy and Jack Johnson and his team.
Tanz0210 – Once again we thank you for your comments - We all look forward to welcoming you back to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji, at some time in the not too distant future!

Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

Met at airport and taken to hotel by car not bad value at $155 when bus is $76 per person
We had booked a Bura and was driven to it, looked lovely although not as large as pictures on site. Room looked good but on further inspection initiated by layer of dust and handprints on phone and bedside clock we found no cleaning under bed, spider webs down the side of fridge and safe.
Complained next morning and room cleaned, however found Bura 425 to be to close to staff entrance and kitchen therefor noisy, asked to be moved.
Low and behold next room also had spider webs down side of safe this was soon cleaned.
No free internet and what was paid for was often poor reception .
Television reception was poor with not a lot of channels on offer
decided one evening to dine in room and watch a movie, not. available would have to wait till next morning.
Pools in poor condition with flaking paint and areas of staining, not one heated.
ATM in hotel $12Fj per withdraw
Food and drink expensive.
Staff excellent, can not help enough and always happy

Dear John M
Bula and sunny greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
We thank you for your review.
My team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji are all about delivering quality holiday and dining experiences to our guests. It is obvious from your comments, that in your case, we did not deliver on this expectation - We sincerely apologise for this occurrence!
It is totally unacceptable the standard of the cleaning of your Bure. I have addressed this issue with our Executive Housekeeper and I assure you that this area of concern has been rectified - Once again we apologise for this lack of service.
We thank you for taking the time to make comment - All of my team looks forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort.

Regards
Boat Harbour, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

Bula! I spent 8 nights at Outrigger with my little family and we had an awesome time. The staff was amazing, so friendly and helpful.

I've been to Fiji before, but this made me want to stay forever. The kids club ladies were awesome with out daughters, even outside of kid's club hours.

Great Adults Only areas for some kid free time. Beautiful outlook, wonderful reef for snorkelling, kayaking, swimming. Massive pool which the kids loved and the service alongside was excellent.

I have nothing bad to say about this resort. It is all good.

Room Tip: Bottom floor room (in the block accom) was great with kids because of the stuff to carry. Rooms were...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Scoutegg
Sunny greetings from Coral Coast!
I am absolutely thrilled that you and the family had such a wonderful holiday experience at our beautiful resort!
It is easy to understand why Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji was voted as the “Number One Family Resort” in all of Australia and the South Pacific at the recent Trip Advisor “Traveler’s Choice” awards. As you found out we are blessed with the friendliest staff you will find anywhere in the world.
As you have detailed in your commentary, there is plenty of choice and the quality activities for the kids to enjoy whilst we also offer fantastic quite “adult only” areas where Mums and Dads can chill out!
Scoutegg, we sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji. We look forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort.

Nowra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

This had lots of great stuff and activities, but also lacked some authenticity to Fiji. The place was certainly 5 star, with great restaurants, pools, bars, golf course, spa and even had a zoo attached. It also had plenty of activities to do and try with a list of daily activities. I did find the rooms very small for 2 adults and 2 children, however this was ok as didn't want to spend Imelda in a room. I did not like that they removed all the coconuts from the trees, so to get a fresh coconut was hard to achieve! Other places they are plentiful. The prices were very high for Fiji, especially when you could walk around the corner and buy a beer for a third of the price. The best part was the snorkeling out on the lagoon. Not sure this place is the best value for money.

Room Tip: If you have enough money, get a family bure.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Steven k
Bula and Sunny greetings from Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
I am obviously disappointed that my team failed to deliver a Fijian holiday experience that Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji is famous for – Please accept my most humble apologies.
As a general rule and feedback from our guests is that we do actually provide an outstanding Fijian experience. It is our policy to remove the coconuts from the trees - Falling coconuts and heads do not mix!
Steven K – Once again we thank you for your comments.

Falkland Islands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

Could not of had a better time while chilling along the Coral Coast. The staff is super friendly especially the manager of the adult pool and his staff. Highly recommend this place! Be sure to purchase the breakfast plan really comes in handy and is well worth it. Big up's to the man who ran the omelet station, it was delicious

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear RyanC55
Bula and sunny greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji! We are delighted that you had such an enjoyable holiday experience!
As you found out, it is our staff that makes the difference – unbelievably friendly and engaging! I will most definitely share your comments with Jack Johnson, the manager of the Vahavu pool bar.
RyanC55, Once again we thank you for your comments - All of my team looks forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort.

Regards
Brisbane, Queensland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Good hotel with the best spa I think in Fiji up the hill behind the hotel overlooking the hotel and ocean.
Spa has no front wall so each room has a infinity view while you get your treatment it is a must

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear BeanieFiji
We sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent holiday at our beautiful resort. I am absolutely thrilled that we could provide you with such a memorable experience. As you have stated in your commentary, our staff are what sets us apart from all of the other resorts, not just in Fiji but also Australasia – We are truly blessed with the warmest and friendliest team you could ever imagine. How good is our Bebe Spa? The views are to die for and the treatments are even better. Last year Bebe Spa was voted the number one International spa at the Pevonia Spa awards and it was also recognized as the Best Resort Spa in Australia and the South Pacific at the Australasian Spa awards.
BeanieFiji, Once again we thank you for your comments. All of my team looks forward to the day when you return to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.

Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji

Been to Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji? Share your experiences!