“Nice but....” 4 of 5 stars

FJ$1 BREAKFAST
Ranked #3 of 10 hotels in Sigatoka
“Nice but....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

The front desk wasn't as helpful as they could've been. I had to wait for meal vouchers I paid for a month in advance. The room was nice but not the best I've been in. There was plenty to do in terms of activities. Please take an electricity convertor if from the US. The convertor supplied by the hotel comes with $100 refundable charge and did not work consistently. Also watch your bill because there is a charge added to your bill to support Fijian Hospital. I don't mind helping but I prefer to be asked before something is added to my bill. Many people may overlook the charge.

Overall it was a nice experience, I have had better. I actually preferred Castaway to the Outrigger.

• Stayed May 2013
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear NEURONS2
Sunny greetings from the Coral Coast!
My team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji are all about delivering quality holiday experiences to our guests. It is obvious from your comments, that in your case there were several areas where we failed in this mission. We apologise for this occurrence!
In particular I apologise for the lack of service that you received from our front desk team. I have personally addressed this issue and the issue of the power converter with our Rooms Division Manager.
I also apologise for the confusion over your contribution to the Community Fund. A charge of $10.00fjd (US$5.50) is added on to all guest rooms. The reason behind this charge is clearly stated on the “Bula Channel” on the television in our guest accommodation. These donations are utilized to build hospitals, repair schools, provide education and training to unemployed youth and in general provide much needed support to our local community. In my 4 years as General Manager of the Resort I have only had 4 people complain about this payment – Once again I apologise for this occurrence!
NEURONS2, Once again, I thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji holiday.

1,827 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (532)
  • Polish first
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed for a week in May for our Honeymoon. This hotel is predominantly a family resort which is widely advertised and if you do your research, you will discover this for yourself. Having said that, we really enjoyed our time at the Outrigger due to many reasons;

Without a doubt, the staff there are probably the best we have ever come across, so polite and friendly, always smiling and they are fantastic with kids, I can really see why families come here. Apparently there is roughly one staff member for every 2 guests so you were really well-looked after. You must get used to saying 'bula' as the staff will say it to you everytime they pass, I thought it might get irritating at first but actually it just became infectious and I almost want to say it to people back here in the UK as it makes you smile when you say it.

The pool is great and is huge. Sadly we just missed the adults only pool being built, that will be a fantastic addition as it will be a place for couple like us to escape to. Saying that, although there were lots of children in and around the pool, it was quite entertaining watching them! The beach is not really a picture postcard beach but again, if you do your research you will find this out so we weren't surprised when we got there. It's good for reef walking, snorkelling and kayaking however. If you team your holiday with a stay at one of the surrounding islands you will see the difference as their beaches really are like a postcard.

There are lots of Wedding parties there which again, if you do your research you will find this out, it can get a little rowdy at times but to be honest, we quite enjoyed it, especially in the cocktail bar! We even joined in one evening and had a great time.

The food was absolutely incredible, the breakfast buffet has so much choice, and was really tasty, but our favourite place to eat was the Sundowner. The tapas there is the best tapas i have ever eaten with juicy prawns and succulent chicken - I would go back just for that! The Ivy however was slightly disappointing, don't get me wrong, it was still very tasty, however the portion sizes are a lot smaller and the price tags a lot heftier so we actually preferred to dine at the Sundowner. Also, there is no air-conditioning in the Ivy (like everywhere) just fans which you can't really feel as no breeze comes through and as they ask you to dress smart (men to wear trousers) we were just so hot that we left immediately after dessert. Unfortunately it didn't make for a very pleasant overall experience.

We were very kindly upgraded to an OceanView deluxe room which came with a Talai butler service where they would bring you champagne and canapes every evening. That was a lovely touch. If you happen to be out when they called they would either leave it in the fridge or you could call the butler desk and they would bring it for you then. Rooms were very spacious and have a lovely (just about) ocean view. There is so much vegetation that you really felt like you were in the jungle! Take some mozzy spray but to be honest we were fine.

We had the most glorious spa experience - the romantic discovery package where we had a full body massage followed by a milk bath with champagne and chocolates in one of their private balcony baths that looked over the ocean, it was absolutely unforgettable - expensive but well worth it as a treat. The Kalo Kalo bar at the spa is one to try aswell, the views from up there are incredible and it feels like a real retreat. We were fortunate enough to be invited to a managers evening which was fabulous and gave a real insight into all the hardwork that goes into running a resort that big, thank you.

There is an activities planner delivered to your room which entails all the events of the day, it is literally jam-packed with stuff to do so you would never get bored, we did some of the stuff and also spectated which was great fun. They really put a lot of thought into keeping their guests happy.

The eco park across the road is a must, we were able to hold some of the lizards and snakes and even feed the turtles. It gave a real insight into the creatures that live in Fiji, the staff there were so helpful and informative and the park is huge! It looks tiny from the outside but once you get in it's just a never-ending pathway through jungle-like terrain, that was a real highlight for us.

We also did a lot of diving which was really well organized, Alfie at the dive shop is fantastic and a really nice guy, he really looked after us - hello Alfie. The main highlight of the whole trip was the shark diving experience at Beqa Lagoon, that was out of this world, highly recommend!

Overall, don't go to this resort if you are looking for peace and quiet, to get away from it all or if you like to keep yourself to yourself - we met a couple who were looking for just that and they did not enjoy their stay. We went on to do a week on one of the smaller islands in the Mamanucas which, if you are on your honeymoon, I recommend doing, so you get two very different experiences. We loved the Outrigger, it was fun, it was lively and you felt very well looked after, I think because we knew we were going on to do a week on the smaller island, it meant we were able to embrace the liveliness of this resort and make the most of it.

The only serious negative is that it's halfway across the world for us! If we're lucky enough to find oursleves out that way again, we wouldn't hesitate to go back.

Room Tip: There are lots of rooms there so be sure to ask for an Upgrade. The views and the butler service are...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear LauraSeward
Sunny greetings from Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji! It sounds like you and your husband had a wonderful relaxing holiday at our beautiful resort! We really do appreciate the informative comments that you have provided to readers of Trip Advisor.
Thank you for your comments about the customer service. As you found out, our staff love coming to work and engaging with our guests. Yes, the “Bula Spirit” is alive and well at Outrigger!
How good is the Sundowner Bar and Grill – Great location, outstanding food and wonderfully friendly staff.
I also enjoyed reading your comments about our Bebe Spa.
LauraSeward, once again we thank you for taking the time to provide comment on Trip Advisor. All of my team looks forward to the day when you and your husband return to our beautiful resort.
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed for a week for our wedding, and all I can say is it was perfect.

We had a few hiccups along the way, with some of our guests being told 6 months prior to the wedding that the hotel was fully booked, so they booked other hotels in the area, only to have guests who booked 5 days prior to the wedding get a room at the resort. It was a shame to have 10 families staying at other places up to half an hours drive away, but they came every day to the resort and used the facilities anyway so as to be with the group.

We advised the hotel many times that we would be arriving at 6am after travelling through the night. We had 5 rooms booked for the group arriving together, 8 people in total. We arrived with our very tired nieces aged 1 and 3, only to be told even though we had requested an early check-in, we had to wait until 3pm for our rooms. We sat in the foyer waiting and waiting. Eventually after asking many times if even just one room was ready, the duty manager came to see us. As my husband pointed out, we had booked and paid for our wedding and a weeks accommodation in full, given over a weeks notice that we would be arriving very early in the day, and had 30 rooms booked for people travelling with us. Surely with that much business coming to the hotel it shouldn't have been so hard to have one room available for the babies to take a nap. Suddenly we were given one day room (it was midday by this time). At 3pm our rooms all magically became ready simultaneously. I had been checking back every 45mins to see if anything was ready.

After being awake for over 24 hours, and already being a stressed out bride, I was ready to find fault with everything about the place. I could not fault it. The room was perfect. We were on the top floor away from everyone else and it was lovely and quiet. The view was spectacular, the breeze from the balcony delightful. The room was perfectly clean, the bathroom spotless, the water pressure in the shower was good, and we never ran out of hot water. The bed was possibly the most comfortable I have ever slept in. Emele our housekeeper was delightful, she cleaned our room in record time on the wedding day between a room full of people coming and going, and when my husband became violently ill the day before the wedding bought me towels, soap, toilet paper etc as soon as I asked for it. She also returned later in the day to see if I needed anything else.

We never bought the meal package, just preferring to pay for any meals as we went. We had the buffet dinner 2 nights and it was lovely and there was a good variety of food. We had the buffet breakfast 2 mornings and the breakfast had enough variety to satisfy. We had lunch and dinner in the sundowner restaurant over looking the water, and both meals were very tasty and well presented. We had lunch twice and dinner once in the poolside restaurant. Both meals were again well presented and tasty, I think the curry I had at the dinner was the nicest I have had. Most mornings I just had coffee and a croissant from the cafe. It worked out to about $5AUD and I was more than happy with a light breakfast. We also had room service on 3 occasions (a late night snack for my husband after a late return after a village tour, lunch, and a pre-wedding snack for a hungry bridal party). All deliveries arrived hot and all arrived within 20 mins of being ordered. I was impressed.
For a few meals we wandered out to the little cafe directly next door the Outrigger. They were a cheaper option than the Outrigger, and my husband had a whole lobster one night for about $50AUD. It was huge. My only suggestion if you go for dinner, take a torch or a mobile phone with a bright screen, as the beach is dark for the walk back.

The facilities at the resort are wonderful. The pool was big enough that the adults and children could swim and not interfere with each other. The water aerobics classes were a hoot, and we joined in a few days when we were there at the right time. There was plenty of snorkeling equipment for everyone, and reef shoes in every size. The children all enjoyed the kids club and nannies, with many tears shed when it was time to leave Fiji. I can highly recommend the day spa for a massage too. I also made use of the coin laundry.

Our wedding went off perfectly. I was a little concerned, organising the entire thing by email, and not seeing the place until 3 days prior to the event. I could not have asked for a more perfect event. The chapel was beautiful, and nicely air - conditioned (we had 80% humidity that day), the reception room was air-conditioned, beautifully decorated, the food was in abundance and perfectly cooked, and the drinks flowed freely.

I cannot speak highly enough of all the staff I dealt with during our time there, and planning the wedding. They are an amazing team of men and women who are warm and friendly and went out of their way to help us with anything we wanted.

This is the perfect place to holiday in a group of family or friends. It caters to everyone (we ranged in age from 4 months to 65years). I am quite sure we will all return again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Iloveholidays095
What a comprehensive review!
We sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent wedding and holiday at our beautiful resort. It sounds like you had a wonderful wedding occasion. I have noted your comments regarding availability of rooms and also early check-in. The resort is actually operating at over 95% occupancy for the month of June therefore I can understand why there would have been a scarcity of rooms. As you are aware, all wedding bookings receive an allotment of rooms that are released back to the resort 90 days out. For any guests booking wedding groups at the resort it is important that they make their reservations before the 90 days. In regards to early arrivals, whilst we do our best to make rooms available for early arrivals, when you run at high occupancies as we do, the availability of rooms is determined by what time departing guests check out. Another little tip for readers, if you require a room for an early arrival, pre-register and pay for the room for the night prior to your arrival and you will be guaranteed that it will be available for your early arrival.
Iloveholidays095, as you have stated in your commentary, our staff are what sets us apart from all of the other resorts, not just in Fiji but also Australasia – We are truly blessed with the warmest and friendliest team you could ever imagine. I will most certainly pass your comments onto your room attendant, Emele. I also thank you for your comments about our restaurants – you can see why they are rated as the best restaurants in Fiji.
Iloveholidays095, Once again we thank you for your comments. All of my team looks forward to the day when you return to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We just had 8 nights at the Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji and are a family of four with 3 year old twins. Overall we had a good experience and found the pool area, food, the kids club and spa fantastic and did come back very relaxed. The breakfast buffet was one of the best we have experienced from all over the world and the spa is one of a kind world class. Unfortunately we found the house keeping service not very reliable and felt that any request we had went into a black hole and only after several followup attempts did we get our needs mostly meet. Unfortunately this made us wonder about the reliability of the rest of the service staff but by the end of the week figured out this was not a reflection of the rest of the resort and seemed to be isolated to one team. Upon arrival on our first day had to wait 6 hours for a roll away bed and extra pillows (in case our son fell out of bed onto the tiled floor) to be delivered and had to contact housekeeping and reception several times to finally get this so we could put our children to bed. We had requested a room closer to the pool but were put right at the end of the block (as far away as possible from the pool) and were moved the following day when we requested this for the 3rd time after our little children had slipped over several times walking back to the room in the rain. The new room was great but two days in a row we asked for our room to be made up in the morning (due to afternoon naps for the kids) and no matter who we asked (reception, house keeping and even the customer service manager) and we did follow these requests up a couple of times our room was made up about 4pm both days. I gave up after this and simply put the do no disturb sign on the door when the kids were napping.
In saying this the beds were soooo comfortable and the rest of the service at the restaurants and kids club and spa were fantastic.
Overall we had a good experience but will probably try another resort next year due to the unnecessary frustrations we had with housekeeping as unfortunately when travelling with toddlers we need to be able to rely on the basics.

Room Tip: If staying in the ocean view deluxe rooms definitely ask for one on the 8th floor as it gets a prope...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear RWa1811027
Sunny greetings from the Coral Coast!
In particular I apologise for the lack of service you received from our housekeeping team. I have personally addressed these issues with our Executive Housekeeper and I assure you that all areas of concern have since been rectified.
RWa1811027, I assure you that under normal circumstances our staff take great care of our guests. I am at a loss as to why your room attendant was not responsive to your requests.
Once again, I apologise for this lack of service and I thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji holiday.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

My partner and i eloped on the 4th June. We had the best day weather was perfect, had serenaders and everything was perfect. Photos were gorgeous big thanyou to asmeen and our photographer. Everyone that worked there were so beautiful especially the vanauaka bar. And malachi our favourite bar man.... Were bringing the kids next time. Thanks again for making our day and our stay fantastic.
Katrina key (foody)

• Stayed June 2013
David katrinaleekey
Greetings and a very big “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
Thank you for your review! It sounds like you and your new husband had an “absolutely perfect” wedding experience!
We appreciate your comments on our staff. As you found out they love coming to work and engaging with our guests. I will most certainly pass your comments onto your wedding planner, Asmeen and Malakai from the Vakavanua Lounge.
katrinaleekey, Once again we thank you for your comments - hopefully we will see you back at our beautiful resort at some time in the not too distant future
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We have just returned to Australia from our 52nd trip to Fiji and day tripped both Sunday evenings to this resort as a night out with friends. Been here before and love it. The staff are amazing, the foods world class, its clean and sitting at the beach side restaurant watching the sunset, eating, drinking followed by the night club listening to the band was a perfect way to spend our Sunday nights. If your not booked to stay in house here grab a taxi do what we did and drop by for dinner. You won't be disappointed 10/10 rating.visitors are very welcomed here. Vinaka outrigger .

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Holland_Clan
Whilst you did not stay at the resort, we are delighted that you had the opportunity to enjoy the wonderful fare at our restaurants. You can understand why our restaurants are rated the best in Fiji! As you found out we are blessed with an amazing team that takes great pride in looking after our guests. Holland_Clan, once again we thank you for your comments. We can’t wait to see you back at our beautiful resort next time you choose to undertake a Fiji holiday.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

My friend and I have just returned from nearly 2 weeks in Fiji staying at the Shangrila. Despite staying at this hotel, we found ourselves eating a lot at the Outrigger at the restaurant where they do the buffets and breakfast ( sorry but I cant recall the name). We travelled down to eat here as the food was 100% better than the Shangrila and it was also better priced. We always had great service while eating here, particularly from Semi, one of the waiters. He always welcomed us with a big BULA and a smile and was also very attentive, friendly and professional. Our next visit to Fiji will be definitely spent staying at the Outrigger after experiencing such amazing service! Thank Semi :-)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Dear Tammy B
Thank you for your comprehensive review and for all of your positive comments about our restaurants at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji..
As you found out we are blessed with an amazing team that takes great pride in looking after our guests. I will most certainly pass you comments onto Semi.
Tammy B, once again we thank you for your comments. We can’t wait to see you and your friend back at our beautiful resort next time you choose to undertake a Fiji holiday.
Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji

Been to Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji? Share your experiences!