“Nataune ni gunuyaqona” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Sigatoka
Bar Beach, Australia
“Nataune ni gunuyaqona”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2009

We stayed for 10 nights at the Intercont in late October.

Complaints- nil, praise- too many to list

Suggestions for prospective guests:
• Make direct contact with the resort and get as much info as you can before you go. Thanks Sanjeshni
• Book a beachfront room if you want to wake up to a picture postcard scene
• Get a pod and spend the day laughing at the kiwi accents
• Book in early for the spa, it’s popular
• Turn off the aircon and sleep using the unique screen doors
• Bring your ipod to plug into the Bose sound system
• The store has plenty of stock at reasonable prices so don’t bring too much
• Go snorkelling straight out in front of the Kama lounge, fantastic
• For <A$4 per beer and <A$10 per cocktail, drink as many as you can
• Don't be afraid to use the kids club and nannies
• Glance at the gym
• Dine at least once at Navo
• Bring your A game for golf or haggle with locals for extra balls
• Visit Navo Island and Sanasana village

Finally to the 'glass is ½ empty' brigade. When you think things haven't quite been up to your impeccable expectations, take a walk down to Sanasana village, have a look around and be grateful for what you have in life.

Ni Sa Moce

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Fiji_Staff, Sales Coordinator (sanjeshni.nand@ihg.com) at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 9, 2010
Thank you for your ‘insight’.

Neil Houghton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
  • Korean first
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

I was meaning to post a review of the Intercontinental as soon as we returned from our holiday in August 09, but time has got away from me.

Luckily its easy to remember the wonderful things about the Intercontinental that made our holiday so special – from the greeting at our arrival, to the Kama cocktail lounge, the cosy Oval love pods around the infinity pool, the breathtaking view from our beachfront bure, the Pure Fiji products in the bathroom, the Cleopatra Bath, the relaxing massage at the Spa. So many little luxuries which added up to a wonderful experience.

True 5 star luxury! If you’re going to Fiji and want to pamper yourself (particularly if you want to avoid family frenzy) then you really should consider a stay at the Intercontinental – it’s worth every penny.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Vinaka Vakalevu!

ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2009

We CAN’T believe how ANYONE can complain about this amazing resort(including that review from Brisbane written in such detail that you wonder if the reviewer had the sole purpose of bringing down the house). Anyways, after spending the previous week in a kid-infested resort, we were glad to arrive at the Intercontinental and discover that there actually was an adult-only pool (do expect, however, the occasional kids coming from the very near kiddie pool to talk totheir parents at the adults-only pool). The adult pool is of the infinity type, gorgeous and very relaxing, with Zen-like music playing most of the time ... The whole place was so quiet (though full) and had a nice, relaxing New Age vibe to it. The ultimate experience to be had, was a massage in their uber-modern spa ! And just when you think it can't get any better than this, you have a meal at the Navo restaurant and it's heaven on earth (Cloud Nine being reached in my case with their chocolat decadence dessert !! Yum ! ) We'd strongly recommend couples who want more intimacy, (like us) to get the fantastic beachfront deluxe room right next to the Navo restaurant : great sunset views,right on the beach in front of the sandbar at low tide, falling asleep to the sound of the ocean tide (thanks to those huge wooden doors with their screen-protected openings), far from kids, etc ... Clem's only beef : there are 2 TV screens (one in the living room, the other one in the bedroom) BUT you can only play the rented DVDs in the living room (whose furniture is definitely not as comfortable as the fantastic King size bed ... Ah well ! ;) The food at Navo restaurant was above 5 star quality, and our waiter Eddy (formerly from Likuliku Lagoon Resort) had the GREATEST smile to be found in Fiji… our favorite!! What a loss for Likuliku….and they miss him there (we went there later on and everyone knew him when we spoke of him!). Nat has to add that we experienced nothing but the best in service and hospitality here and the upkeep and cleanliness of the resort and grounds was impeccable.The best beach in Fiji, great snorkeling from the beach with soft sand, and surprisingly uncrowded. We attended a Meke (Polynesian-style) one evening and for the price it was very “ordinary” and we regretted missing a chance to dine at Navo’s. We will definitely return to Fiji in the next few years and the Intercontinental Resort and Spa will be our first stayover for sure. Without a doubt our favorite over Warwick, Sheraton, and ever-so-slightly Likuliku Lagoon Resort and Spa (which was excellent as well but the beach is the determining factor in this case). The food at Likuliku was excellent all the time where as at the Intercontinental only the Navo was hors pair; the other restaurants were just good. So imagine how good the food was at Liku liku….. the BEST!

In general, Fijians are the nicest people we have encountered on our many travels around the world. There is no $ smile… it’s all genuine! We love Fiji

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your kind remarks.

Gosford NSW Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

Let me start my review by getting the obvious out of the way. The Intercontinetal is a beautiful looking Hotel with beautifully appointed rooms, wonderful amentiies and a postcard like outlook - None of these points are in dispute.
Does it however provide a great place to stay with a wonderful experience & Fijian feel - Answer NO.
In fact never in my time in the islands (7 trips in recent years) have I felt further away from Fiji. In fact the only thing Fijian about the whole place is the standard casual (meaning slow & lax) level of service. Now I am pretty happy with this sort of service out on the Islands in the 'barefoot' casual (and cheaper) enviroment there, however when I am being robbed at every turn for food, drinks etc and paying 5 star prices well I expect slightly better than 2 star service.
One big problem you have here is the dining options which are only 3. This you can get away with at Denarau as you gave a multitude of other resorts as well as the Port for alternative dining, but at the Intercontinental other than a dirty little resort 200 metres down the road you only have what they offer. These are, a Pool Bar & Grill, a buffet or a high end restaurant. None are cheap and while the food is good there needs to be an alternative mid range dining option perhaps like a steakhouse or similiar particularly for families with Teenagers. I am not a buffet person, so outside of this you either sit at the pool (not great when it is windy and rainy like when we were there) or go to Navo the signature restaurant which while tremendous cost my wife and I $400FJD for two. This is something the resort needs to address.
The bars particularly Kama, are spectacular, but pricey and you could be sitting in a chic bar in Paris or somewhere thats how much of a Fijian feel it had about it. Not sure about you but I go to Fiji to feel like I am in Fiji - otherwise I would fly to Paris, but hey maybe thats just me.
The check process was inefficient. I still can't work out why at so many hotels where check in is 2pm they can't get you into a room until 4pm - but then if you check out half an hour late they wish to whack you straight away. Surely when you pay you effectively 'lease' that room from 2pm until usually 11am the next day - therefore they should be reducing the tariff for each half hour they use 'your' room. I have decided in future once I sign the registration if they then say I can't have my room I am going to demand they sub lease it back off me at $500 an hour as I now own it until it is ready. I'm guessing I will be in a room from 2pm for the rest of my life if I do it!
The other problem is there is little for Teenagers to do if the weather is inclement which it can be on this side of the Island. Yes they do have a kids club with a few computers but is it that difficult to put aside an area with a couple of table tennis & pool tables for example. Its the little things that go along way.
The golf course is equally spectacular but in reality to enjoy it other than for the scenery you need to be a single marker as if you are above that make sure you allow plenty of time to find your ball.
Overall as I stated it is a magnificently appointed, large international hotel which is about as Fijian as the pyramids. For this reason and some of the others listed above I wouldn't return.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Thank you for your custom, I wish you luck in your search for holiday happiness.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

I'll try and offer a single review that sums up what you can truely expect. Before arriving I read a lot of the good and bad reviews. After spending a week at the resort (with my wife and three kids) I can tell you that the bad reviews are from people who are probably very hard to please and have high expectations of a "perfect hotel". I have never taken a vacation that didn't have some flaws or minor problems at the hotel and the Intecontinental is much the same. This property falls in line with some of the nicest Hyatt's and Westin's that we have stayed in, but those hotels had minor flaws as well. If every little detail is going to drive you crazy and you expect perfection then stay away from this hotel. Those people would probably only be satisifed at a Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton. However, if you can go with the flow and relax then these minor problems won't be an issue.

This was our first trip to Fiji and the people are wonderful! Their smiles and attitudes alone help you to relax and feel welcome. The property is beautiful and luxurious at every turn. They have relaxing/shaded lounges at the pool and off the beach that allow you to lose yourself in a book or conversation. The only thing missing are some hammocks along the beach. What amazed us was how quite the resort was every where you went. Even though the resort was pretty full due to school holidays, you often wondered where everyone was.

The rooms are the amongst the largest and nicest of any resort we have ever stayed at and the patios add to the experience with a great bath tub and relaxing sofa. Keep in mind only some of the rooms have extended patios which offer lounge beds. These are only in the ocean/lagoon front Bure's but are a great touch for relaxing outside your own room.

The food was average and after a week it starts to gets old because of the lack of variety. They have three restaruants but the menu only changes at the nightly buffet. That restaurant is dedicated to breakfast and dinner buffets only. They could stand to change this format to add standard menu's with some variety like sushi, thai, etc...

Navo is a very good restaurant that should be tried at least twice. Relaxed elegance with beautiful views of the ocean. Try to get there before the sun completely sets to enjoy the best view. The pool side restaurant offers the most basic choices and is good for lunch but should be avoided for dinner unless you want pizza, which isn't bad. Ask them to set up a seperate table just outside so you can dine under the stars. They will gladly do it and it makes for a nice touch.

The kids pool is nice but basic. It is best suited for 3 - 9 year olds and they will probably get tired of it by day 3 or 4. Since the other pool is for audlts only it leaves out the 10 - 18 year olds who like water slides and pools that offer places to explore. The kids pool is lacking in this area and a shame they overlooked it. The adult/infinity pool is beautiful and relaxing; perfect for a couples only vacation.

The beach is great for walking and finding shells. At low tide you can walk out amongst the coral beds looking for hermit crabs, fish and small octopus in the tide pools. The kids loved it. Although its pretty to look at, there are only a few openings where you can swim without worrying about the coral. This keeps most people out of the water.

My wife and I both had massages at the SPA and found them to be very relaxing. Get there 30 minutes early to take advantage of the steam room and baths, as well as lingering afterwards in the relaxation lounge...nice touch.

The kids club is pretty good and they offer a range of activites that change each day. We ended up only using it at night a few times and found it was pretty quite.

With the current exchange rates being quite favorable and the fact that the kids all eat for free, it makes this a very affordable five star vacation. All in all, even with the small imperfections, we hope to return to the Intercontentintal as we found it very relaxing and great for families.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
We have a new Food & Beverage team, things have changed.

P Nth NZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2009

After a fantastic stay, sent my staff. huge success they loved it as much.

• Stayed October 2009

Port Macquarie
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

My wife and I have stayed at many 5 star resorts around the world over the past few years whilst looking for paradise, well I think we may have finally found it at the Intercontinental Fiji. This place is incredible & I say this for a number of reasons; It is a glamorous new property with a trendy fit out and is surrounded by stunning grounds filled with places to chill out, It is located on one of the most beautiful beaches in the world and has a very relaxing ambience. The rooms are luxurious and well appointed and feel very secluded. The resort is very quiet for its size and people appear few and far between, the resort was at full capacity when we visited but we still felt as though we were in a small resort with few people around. The adults only infinity pool was also fantastic and incredibly relaxing. The service we received was first rate and the staff were warm and friendly, I will agree with other comments regarding the food, it was slightly below average but we didn't stay here for the food so therefore it didn't worry us to much. The golf course was spectacular and also very challenging, I would recommend checking it out even if your not into golf, the prices are quite reasonable for a championship course and the views are well worth it. Make sure you take plenty of spare balls with you- trust me, you will need them.

As far as 5 star resorts go, we think this one really stands out; it is also great value & much cheaper than most we have stayed at in the past- we will definitely be back in 2010.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Neil Houghton

Been to InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!