“Discrimination towards local visitors” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
IHG Special up to 25% Off
Ranked #4 of 10 hotels in Sigatoka
Melbourne, Australia
“Discrimination towards local visitors”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I live in Melbourne and recently visited Fiji and had accommodation booked at Denarau. My husband and I took his sisters who live locally and decided to visit Intercontinental Hotel to see what the property was like for future bookings. We planned to have lunch there. However the security guard at the gate said that the Hotel was full and that they were not taking any visitors and maybe come back next week. We told him that we were going back to Melbourne next week but he wasn't going to let us in. We discussed this with other locals and they told us that they had the same experience. It is very shameful that the hotels along the Coral Coast are discriminating against local visitors and even those who look local but may be visiting from overseas. Won't be recommending Intercontinental to my Australian Friends. What the hotels are failing to recognise is that the former Fiji residents coming to Fiji for Holiday are contributing towards Fiji's economy - very disappointing.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

1,243 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Korean first
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We spent 4 nights at one of the 2 brm Club Intercontinental suites, the room was MASSIVE! Great view, loved the bath on the balcony.

Pools are not heated, be careful if you're traveling with young kids they will get very bored if the weather is not good /too cool. Can't really swim, and no shops around like Denarau.

Stayed July 2014
InterContinenta... F, Director of Sales at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, yesterday
Bula Chloe,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We’re delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in our premier Club InterContinental rooms and facilities and that you took the opportunity to experience a relaxing bath in our outdoor Cleopatra bathtubs. We would love to welcome you back for another wonderful holiday at Natadola Bay again soon. Please do let me know on kamal.haer@ihg.com when you plan your next trip and I will see that the team takes great care of you once more.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We've just got back home and as family of 3 people, inc 1 kid, 3,6 y.o. we enjoyed our holidays with a little effort from hotel to make it better) we went on holidays to bring good memories and we've done it but honestly I would not go again here unless this is the only choice. There are definitely some points to consider when decide whether to go here or not. We took a taxi from airport $80 (we didn't negotiate, can be cheaper) and asked to stop at supermarket to buy some fruits, he advised us that local market on our way to hotel would be best for fruits, he was right, yammi. On our way back we used the same driver. if s.o. need I've got his card. When we arrived, we were not greeted by the staff, they were busy with other guests, no singing, no shell necklaces, thats ok ) we asked for them later for our little one and got them when leaving the hotel) Check in was ok, again no drink or towel till we asked. I dont know what has happened to Fijian people (not all of them), especially in this hotel, staff is not smiling here: perhaps subject to July weather)

Breakfast: best papaya I've ever tried, poor variety of vegetables, inedible sausages (esp beef ones), all possible eggs, but to get a poached or omelette you will need to que. why would you put one person to open a bowl for you to get a boiled egg and one person to make omelette, fried eggs etc, weird (. They make all coffees, even babychino, which is nice) deli plates are tasteless, Good variety of croissants, but again taste weird, too sour( chocolate one is balancing it) good variety of cornflakes and musli, 1 fresh juice watermelon or pineapple. overall is very average (

Lunch/Dinner: Toba bar - tasteless food, we tried all salads they serve, very sad ((pizza is shocking, 1 olive cut in small pieces, 1 small cube of feta cut in small pieces, lots of tomato base, not even spread evenly, melted cheese in the middle of pizza and other ingredients hard to see and remember, the base is thin and taste nice though) Embarrassing)) kids boxes seems ok, but our son was not eating, we stopped ordering them. Steak and pork ribs are ok. The only food, which didn't leave us disappointed was anything grilled, fish, prawns. Its hard to get them wrong))
Cocktails are nice without alcohol, otherwise taste funny

Navo restaurant: too much talking about fine dining, it is nice ambience, nice view, smaller portions, higher prices, more formal dressed people and no customer service. Food is ok, fish, crayfish, mud crab dishes are fine, scallops would be nicer without roe, but then it will be very very small portion. I would recommend to go there to get your experience as tastes are different. If you have children you can go there 5.30 to 7. If you come at 6 as we did you will be refused to get seated as from 7 its adult only dining. Dont be surprised to hear a reply : "No, this is our policy, you can talk to our manager" they have to be trained how to make customers happy and what customer service is. Thank you for executive chef Nicolas, nice guy, we met him on our way from Navo and he tried to do his best to accommodate our needs and we agreed on coming tomorrow at earlier time. But before we agreed we were given other options, not just a No reply.

Sanasana buffet: we tried catch of the day, seafood delight, fijian night and Italian night. Nice experience and if you dont like something you have a choice of getting something else. We've spoken to few people who had the same experience with food at other places, one couple got even sick after having a breakfast at Navo, and we all agreed that Sanasana is good option.

Hotel grounds/Room: I would agree as someone described it as "concrete jungle", you gets nice greenery garden while you walking to your room. All villas are 2 storey and there is no lift, if you are on the 1st floor and have a pram you have to carry it, our stroller was superlight weight) Rooms are well designed, loved bathroom on the balcony. We stayed in Bure 16 and there is an ice making machine(near all villas) working 24 hours, not all of them are noisy. we had no choice but to close the window right above it and have no fresh air but quiet sleep, we escalated to staff, but they are too busy to look after all guests) Garden view room will face another villa, so there is no privacy, you have to close a balcony if you want some.

Beach: It is not the best beach. If the weather is nice you will enjoy colour of the water in the lagoon. I would say this was the only place, where we were mostly swimming. In low tides you can walk over or swim to the other side , depth 1.5m maximum, water is clear, lots of friendly fish and lots of wind. after 1 hour in the water you feel like you need a hot cleopatra bath in your room) other side of the beach is shallow, you need to walk quite far to swim. there is no lifeguard on the beach. Beach can be very rough to walk due to corals and dirty in some places. I wouldn't say it is white sand beach, unless it is very sunny day and you look at it from the distance. July weather happened to be very windy and cold even for Fijian people. In the morning is low tide in the afternoon too windy and no much sun, you just don't feel swimming. The water in the ocean is nice and warm.

Pool: family pool is nice but the water is too cold, the day has to be very hot for kids to go there, were many children on resort, but not many swimming. It has a very shallow side with some fountains for very little ones to enjoy too. Infinity pool is always busy with not many people swimming.

Kids club: We had intention to use a nanny (if you child is not 4 yet) and kids club, went with my son, boring facilities and just one lady tried to talk to my son, but too serious, my son asked me to leave 5 minutes after we came. ( there were 7 of them at a time with 5 kids only) again, how about Fijian hospitality and most child friendly places? ) didnt work for us, but worked for many others. There were lots of families used nanny services and kids looked happy.

Snorkeling: you can book at 9,11,1 and 3. $ 50 adult, $38 child. Morning are recommended by staff due to lower tide and less windy. This is memorable experience. nobody booked except us and we had a private trip with 2 great staff members. Luck is a great guy with lots of knowledge to surprise you during the tour, nice corals, turquoise water, colorful fish. Loved it loved it. The glass bottom boat is quite small and I wouldn't personally enjoy just looking down through glass. the trip takes 2 minutes from the beach, saw some tourists were snorkeling without hotel staff.

Spa: Both me and my husband used Spa, loved warm shell massage, Sandy, was our therapist, she is amazing. before or after your treatment you can use Wai zone spa facilities for 30 minutes complimentary, which include steam room, hot pool and ice room. Ice room is a must)) Facial is nice too. My husband used 3 times massage from local on the beach, he said 1 warm shell massage is better than 3 locals. I would suggest you though check time with therapist before the treatment otherwise you can get it shorter, they cut mine 30 minutes, explaining that they started on time, but they started 30 minutes later and I was just sitting in the waiting lounge. Waiting lounge is boring, no fiji style. Overall it is great experience)

Entertainment : At Kama Lounge nearly all nights live band playing nice music, beautiful voices, Duo/Trio loved it. Fire show is nice, guys are enjoying it, you can feel it, but not girls (they are giving us a favor to perform, thank you very much, we appreciate it and would like you to enjoy it also) The only negative I would add is some performances are not according to schedule(Fiji time, earlier or later) or even cancelled and you will never get any answer from staff at Lounge or get too many different ones, anyway no difference) You can try to come to all 3 Fire show during the week and might be lucky to see one)) This is purely our experience, we came by 6pm (as advertised), the show should've started but it has just ended at 6)

Privilege Priority/ IHG: 50% food if 2 guests, kid isn't considered as guest, 20% Spa from 8-11am, room upgrade if available, free internet in the room and late check out if available beverages full price, worth it if stay 7 night or more. not all staff trained how to apply card.

Hotel service: If they cant help you with your enquiry they will just ignore it) once we saw a child dropped a cup in the restaurant, there were 5 staff members near coffee station, nobody even asked if everything is ok, parents collected all glass pieces and left it on the table. Room service timely and good. Staff at restaurants often forget what you've just asked them, perhaps another way to get you smile)

Overall you have everything to enjoy your holiday ;)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Wow!! What an amazing family trip. We booked 4 rooms for 6 nights at the resort and just came home from one of the most relaxing, refreshing and amazing trips. To start with, we would like to thank the friendly, smiling staff for their efforts in making our holiday memorable, in particular Vinita, Solame, Kini, Mike (Sanasana Restuarant) and Benny (Navo restaurant) - their top of the line customer service made such a difference.

As a travel agent, I've stayed at a number of 4 and 5 star resorts and experienced all sorts of customer service and this was by far the best and most memorable. Furthermore, the staff across the resort were fantastic, not only the restaurants, but also front desk, concierge, pool staff, bars etc - they were all fantastic.

Yes, the resort setting, room decor, pools, restaurants are all amazing but it's the people this resort have hired which makes this trip one to never forget.

The Intercontinental brand could definitely benefit from sending staff from this resort world wide to show teach top class customer service.

In terms of the resort - true 5 star class! I've heard a number of people say the resort is a "concrete jungle", I couldn't disagree with this more. The resort for one thing is set on a pristine beach surrounded by lush tropical gardens but the low level rooms means easy access for kids, families and the elderly alike. The three restaurants offer a wide range of food from different cultures and well priced also.

The resorts offers plenty of activities to keep guests entertained but if lying by the pool is you thing, the Infinity pool is the place to be. Adult only and over looking the blue lagoon in front of the resort, I couldn't think of a better way to relax.

As my titles suggests, 11/10 and I will be back again for sure!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
InterContinenta... F, Director of Sales at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Shaunkav,

Bula from the white sandy shores of Natadola Bay! Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa. We were delighted to read that your family had a great holiday with us and enjoyed our warm Fijian hospitality.

I will be sure to forward your lovely comments onto the team, especially Vinita, Solame, Kini, Mike and Benny who I’m sure will be excited to hear from you.

It was a pleasure to have your family stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to our little piece of paradise again soon. Please do email me on kamal.haer@ihg.com when you plan your next family escape and I will see that your family is well taken care of once more.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

This is a very late review from New Year 2013/14. We travelled as two couples over a busy holiday season. I would highly recommend Intercontinental to anyone couples, singles or families. Everyone is very well catered for.

Highlights:
Infinity pool for adults only was outstanding. Wonderful poolside service. There were a few families claiming not to see the adults only signs but the staff dealt with them quickly and politely. A perfect area to chill out and relax.
Navo Restaurant. Beautiful location, food and great staff.
Yoga offered in the morning - not sure if this happens in non peak times but a good idea that one of our group used daily.
Mix of activities on offer with all the usual watersports for a charge or just relaxing by the pool. You can do as little or as much as you want.
Beautiful beach

Opportunity for improvement:
Not enough shade by the pool, a few extra umbrellas at peak season would be useful for the adults only pool. Found people were reserving loungers with towels from early morning to get the rows that would be in shade. Which meant no one else could get shade if desired. An easy fix please Intercon.
We arrived at 3pm, had to wait two hours for a room. As other reviewers have noted things move at 'Fiji time', which is fine once you are checked in but an average first impression.

Overall: a great resort with lovely staff and facilities. We have already booked to return later this year.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear JacqH,

Bula and thank you for sharing your experience! We were delighted to read that you had a wonderful holiday with us and that you enjoyed so many aspects of our resort. We were also thrilled to read that you experienced dining in our signature restaurant, Navo, which certainly is an intimate way to enjoy a romantic and relaxing evening.

We look forward to welcoming you back later this year. Please do not hesitate to contact me on kamal.haer@ihg.com prior to travelling and I will see that you are well looked after once more.

Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We stayed at this resort for our honeymoon in Feb 2014. We had the BEST time. We had a package with a garden view? room and our own bath on the balcony. The buffet breakfasts were amazing. We also had credit for one or two of the buffet dinners with a different theme each night. We also got the couples massage at the spa which was so great that I went and had a facial the next day. The only thing I would recommend is to try and get an all inclusive package because if you pay for everything separately its very expensive. Also hire a car because its great to explore "the real Fiji" and this place is rather isolated.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Spokerina,

Bula vinaka from the white sandy shores of Natadola Bay! Thank you so much for choosing the InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa for celebrating your honeymoon. We’re delighted that you had a wonderful time with us and that you enjoyed so many aspects of our resort.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our little piece of paradise again soon. Please email me on kamal.haer@ihg.com when you decide on your next travel plans and I will see that the team takes great care of you once more.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW via mobile

Stayed 9 nights in July with our 2 boys aged 16 and 19 and had a fantastic time.
ACCOMMODATION.
We stayed in Garden View rooms, 2615 and 2616 which were beautifully appointed. Our room had a king size bed while the boys had 2 king singles,each room having an outdoor bath which were very luxurious. It was a short stroll to everything and very quiet and peaceful.
The only downside were the terribly soft pillows which made sleeping difficult. (Use your bed cushions)
MEALS.
The buffet breakfasts were fantastic with plenty of variety and we ate well which usually meant we didn't need any lunch.
For dinner we had a Fijian buffet at Sanasana restaurant which was great but ate at the Toba Bar & Grill most nights where we had pizza, steaks, fish, Indian etc.
One night they cooked us fish which we had just caught on the fishing charter that is run from the resort, which was delicious.
POOLS
We only used the beautiful infinity pool which was very refreshing once you got too warm from lazing in the sun on one of the many lounge chairs. Not as cold as other reviewers make out. There is a bar service by the pool where you can get a beer, wine, smoothie or a bite to eat and ice cream shop which was visited regularly.
There are plenty of towels available poolside.
BEACH ACTIVITIES.
The water on this most glorious beach was quite warm and the reef can be quite rocky under foot so I would recommend river shoes.
We hired out snorkelling gear, surfboards, kayaks and boogie boards and had a great time in at times pretty rough surf.
We went on the snorkelling tour run by the resort for $50fjd in which we saw an abundant of small colourful fish but nothing of any great size.
The boys snorkelled just metres off the beach for free the following day and probably saw more than on the snorkelling tour. They found some underwater caves and crevices which they swam through, getting some fantastic Gopro footage on the way.
We went on a 2 hour Fishing Charter boat, run from the resort and landed 2 great fish, a Dolphin Mahi Mahi and a Yellow Fin Tuna both of good size which made for a most exciting family outing.
TOURS.
We booked the Robinson Crusoe Island Jetski tour which was a fantastic day out. You jetski to Cloud Break, a renowned surfing spot in the middle of the ocean, snorkel and then jetski back to Robinson Crusoe Island. The highlight of the trip for the boys.
LOCALS.
We took up the locals offer for massages on the beach and one, Max, took us to a beautiful waterfall for the day which we enjoyed.
We had a Lovo meal (cooked in the ground) with Una and family at their home in the local village which was a great experience. Unas' 3 children gave us a tour of the village and by the end of it there were more than 20 children walking with us sharing their knowledge and friendship.
Tip. Ask for the total price when booking with the locals as they like to add on little extras.
SERVICE.
The staff at the resort are fantastic, friendly and eager to please. Our rooms were cleaned daily to the highest level and the bar staff were always willing to have a chat and join in some friendly banter. Special mention to Vatemo.
ENTERTAINMENT.
We enjoyed the Happy Hour at the Kama Lounge where we watched the fire lighting ceremonies, fire dancing, drumming and our favourite, the magnificent Trio of singers.

We will never forget the fantastic time we had in Fiji and we recommend the Intercontinental Resort as the place to stay. Nine days was not long enough, we didn't even get to see the golf course.
Vinaka.

The Paton Family.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Glenn,

Bula vinaka from Natadola Bay! Thank you very much for choosing Intercontinental Fiji as your destination for a family holiday. We’re delighted to read that your family enjoyed so many aspects of our resort, and even took the opportunity to experience Fiji’s diverse culture. It was a pleasure to have your family with us and we would love to welcome you back to our little piece of paradise again soon for another family holiday. Please do let me know on kamal.haer@ihg.com when you plan your next beachside escape and I will see that your family is well looked after once more.

Area Director of Sales & Marketing

Been to InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!