“Upmarket Beach Resort, Coral Coast, Fiji” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Sigatoka
Sydney, Australia
“Upmarket Beach Resort, Coral Coast, Fiji”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We spent 4 nights at the Intercontinental Hotel and enjoyed them very much. Our beachfront rooms were spotlessly clean, modern, up to date and the views over the beach/bay were spectacular. An enormous spa/bathtub on the verandah is carefully position to allow privacy and the rooms are spacious. Bathroom has separate loo and separate rain shower, double sinks and more hanging space than any holidaymaker could ever need. I was told that a local Fijian consortium owns the hotel in a joint arrangement with the Intercontinental.

The three restaurants offer a range of menus and prices and the food is not too bad. It is better in the Nova restaurant than in the other more casual restaurants. However, for something different wander next door to the Natadola Beach Resort for the best steak in Fiji. The price here is pretty good too.

The staff at the Intercontinental all seem to come from the local village and they have been well trained in the art of providing service. It was usual for smiling, ever-helpful Fijians to wait on the tables and provide whatever service a guest might require. Nothing was any trouble.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms facing the beach get more sun than the upstairs rooms and it is also easier from...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
General_Manager_Fiji, General Manager at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Bula holysleep,

Vinaka Vakalevu for your fantastic review, and I am so pleased you enjoyed your time with us. We have to agree- the outdoor Cleopatra bathtubs are a great feature of our rooms, and certainly a favourite among guests!

You are correct, the resort is owned by the Fiji National Provident Fund (FNPF), and through this, as well as our strong commitment to the community, has become known as ‘The People’s Resort’. As we’re Fijian owned all profits go back to the people of Fiji, and we are of course delighted to be able to provide training and employment opportunities to members of the local community.

Again thank you for your review and we do look forward to welcoming you back to our sunny shores! Please email me at scott.williams@ihg.comwhen you decide to return and I will ensure our reservation team takes great care your booking needs.

Scott Williams

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (466)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We enjoyed a wonderful relaxing holiday at the InterContinental Fiji Golf and Spa Resort for our 40th Wedding Anniversary Nov, 2012. Our beach front burre was seconds from the crystal clear waters of a long sweeping white sandy beach. The infinity pool recreation area was strictly for adults and perfectly serene. Nearby, but out of earshot there is a lagoon style pool for families and an excellent kids club to give parents some alone time. We dined at 3 separate dining areas, with one being the extremely highly rated Navo where we had our celebratory dinner watching the sun set over the water. In our opinion, the best restaurant for food and service we have ever experienced!!! We have been patrons at many restaurants here and overseas but this one has not been surpassed!! We will return!!

Room Tip: Pay the little extra for a beachside burre room/unit. The sheer luxury of waking up to your own priv...
Bula Rainie438,

Thanks you for your lovely review, and happy 40th anniversary! I am so glad we could help you celebrate this momentous occasion and hope you have taken home memories that will last a lifetime.

I am delighted you discovered the peace and serenity Natadola Bay offers and enjoyed the best of our adult only options available at the resort. I have to agree, it is a little like a dream to wake up and find your own private piece of paradise literally at your doorstep.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Natadola, please feel free to email me at scott.williams@ihg.com when you decide to return and I will see that our team takes wonderful care of you.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

What a great place to stay. We went there on our honeymoon and were treated fantastically. The staff were so lovely. We have stayed other places in Fiji and this was by far the best.
The food was fantastic. The buffet breakfast was AMAZING! They had gluten free options which was great as my husband is coeliac.
The rooms were lovely and so clean. We had a garden view room which was perfect as it was a little bit away from main festivities.
The spa was AWESOME. We did a three hour couples package and both loved it!
Only downfall is that you're so far from everything else, although this was a bonus too.
Loved the adult only area, but when we return in a few years we'll be in the different section!!!!
Definitely a place to go, amazing staff and food, clean and well presented resort. A must see!

• Stayed October 2012
Bula MontysJandS,

Thank you for your great feedback! I am so pleased you and your husband enjoyed your honeymoon with us at Natadola Bay.

I was thrilled to read the rooms and food selection exceeded your expectations and we were able to cater to your husband’s dietary needs. Gluten-free options are included on all our menus, and our chefs are always on hand and happy to custom-create any meal for to meet your needs.

I was also delighted to read you enjoyed the unique Nomudrau couple’s massage at Spa InterContinental- a fantastic way to spend time together on holidays!

I’m glad to hear you will be returning to our sunny shores, perhaps with some little ones in tow, and we look forward to giving you and your family more of the wonderful moments that make life memorable. Do contact me directly at scott.williams@ihg.com when you decide to return and I will ensure our team takes great care of you.

Adelaide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stay at Intercontinental properties frequently. This one lives up to the brand - excellent public facilities, very comfortable rooms, wonderful staff (we have been to Fiji some 30 times and I think we were "bula-ed" here more times than anywhere esle in the country!) and some of the best food (and polished service) in Fiji at Navo restaurant. But beware - this is a very kid-friendly resort for an expensive hotel and you will be over-run with ankle-biters under the age of 5 or 6, even in November. But they were generally pretty well behaved, and there is an adult pool, and the buffet restaurant did sit people with kids in a separate section. But be warned - this hotel is isolated and so if you get tired of playing golf or swimming (the beach is great) there is not much to do. It is some 8 kms up to the main road. My wife and I are active 60 year olds who don't like to spend all day in th epool and/or drinking, so four days was a long time. Especially when the trade winds were blowing strongly and it was very windy for our entire stay. Beware this time of the year. The hotel is to be commended for its wonderful support for a nearby local school, and I would strongly recommend you take the free school tour to see what can be done with a little bit of financial suppport. We liked this hotel but would not return. Lounge lizards and pool bunnies no doubt would want more more more, which seems to be the case with most reviewers.

Room Tip: This hotel is really spread out so you may want to ask for a room close to the main area. Some garde...
Bula DeeKayAdelaide,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. It’s wonderful to receive a review from an InterContinental patron, and we’re delighted we exceeded your expectations.

I’m so pleased you and your husband had the opportunity to visit Malomalo Primary School, it is wonderful that through a little guest involvement our children are able to benefit immensely. I was a little disappointed however to read that you felt there was a lack of activities and hope you were able to peruse our ‘Mai Tovolea’ activities schedule, or consult our Concierge team for itineraries and information on the many wonderful activities available in and around the resort.

We would be delighted to welcome you back to Natadola’s happy shores. Please feel free to get in touch with me directly at scott.williams@ihg.comif you would like more information on the exciting and memorable experiences on offer at the resort.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

My cousin had her wedding here and I can highly recommend it for a group. Ceremony and reception were literally on the beach which was beautiful.

I wouldn't stay more than 4 days unless you like doing nothing except swimming and eating as there is no other hotels within a few kms.

Separate adult pool away from the general pool is great; needs a little more shaded areas.

Bath on the balcony was very relaxing and private.

As a wedding party we were told we had priority to be put as close to each other as possible but when I went to check in was given a room many blocks away from everyone else (staying by myself in the room), we had to speak to the service supervisor to get 'upgraded' to a pool room as they was the only ones available close to the rest of the party.

No free wifi available in common areas like all the other resorts offer.

I travel for work quite a lot and am a gold card member of the priority club and didn't feel like they offered any of the services or hospitality for a return guest. (I spent 4 days prior at the Hilton on Denarau Island and had the general manager came out to greet me on check in and was comped breakfast and Internet)

• Stayed October 2012
Bula Kate V,

Thank you for taking a moment to review our resort. I am delighted you enjoyed your holiday with us and had a wonderful time at the wedding. The outdoor Cleopatra baths are signature to the resort and definitely a favourite feature of the rooms.

I was disappointed to read you weren’t satisfied with your room allocation and I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

With regards to your loyalty status recognition, in line with PCR recommendations all our Priority Club Gold members receive complimentary late checkout (subject to availability), daily weekday newspapers delivered to their rooms and 10% bonus points on their stay (direct bookings only), I also personally sign a card to welcome our return guests to the resort. If you did not receive any of the above items with our compliments please do feel free to contact me directly at scott.williams@ihg.com if you would like to discuss further. Although wi-fi is offered at a reasonable rate throughout the resort, kindly also note that IHG, our global management company are currently looking into making internet complimentary for our Priority Club Guests in the future. When this rolls out, we will be sure to make suitable announcements.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our sunny shores soon! Please don’t hesitate to contact me when you decide to return and I will ensure all your needs are well looked after.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We've just returned from a wonderful family holiday in Fiji. We stayed at the Intercontinental for 6 nights with our 6.5yo, 3.5yo and 1.5yo. They kindly let us squeeze into one room since our youngest is in a cot (usually the maximum per room is 4). But the room, located between the pool and the lagoon, was large enough and absolutely lovey. Just like others have said it had an relaxed outdoor space with a day bed and huge bath, two queen sized beds and a nice bathroom. The room was modern and well maintained. There was enough space for our 3 kids to play happily both inside and in the outside area (however there was no barrier between the outside area and the pool so we kept an eye on our kids). Things were reasonably priced but they did all add up to a bit by the end of the week. Even so, we still felt we got value for money. The weather was beautiful - I didn't even wear a cardigan as even the wind was warm.

Everything else about the resort was terrific:
-kids club was quiet but our kids had fun on the two mornings they went (the staff took them down to the lagoon to feed the fish one time). It cost $30FJN for a 3hour session which included lunch. We then paid $15FJN per hour (minimum 3 hours) for a babysitter to look after our younger two kids in kids club (as they need to be 4yo to go on their own) We had the same babysitter both times, who was lovely and seemed to take good care of the kids.
-pools - we mostly swam in the huge family pool which was warm and perfectly suited to our family. I had one morning on my own by the adult infinity pool which was also lovely. Both had lots of loungers and love nests and a mixture of shade and sun. We had lunch by the family pool most days as they had a good kids fish and chips which came with a few sticks of carrot, cake, dried fruit and a piece of chocolate. We also went to the beach a few times. We swam at high tide (which was devine) and enjoyed the sand play and jumping waves.
-activities - we went snorkelling on a glass bottom boat which was fun. Since we were the only the ones on the tour (they seemed to go at least twice everyday) they tailored it to suit our young family (eg came in when kids were tired). It's only just off the coast and perhaps not quite as good as the great barrier reef but we saw some magic coral, nemo fish and even a turtle. The water was warm but it was a little windy. There was also hermit crab racing which was more exciting than I thought it would be :) and we went on a cave tour. The cave tour took over an hour and went almost the whole way around Navo Island. The guides helped us carry the kids some of the way which was a load off our shoulders - literally. The cave was awesome and we ran into a few people from the nearby village on the way back. We took the school tour which was brilliant. It was nice to be able to give a small gift (stamps, stickers and paper) to thank them for showing us around. The Intercontinental seems to have a terrific supportive relationship with the school. Each night there was some music and firelighting ceremony at the bar which was a relaxed way to finish the day. So even though we didn't venture out of the resort on our own I felt we had lots of chances to meet the locals.
-food - our buffet breakfast was included and was fabulous. Huge variety and we all found it delicious. We also had the buffet dinner each night which varied based on different themes (kids eat free). However, there was still a huge variety off theme which meant that we always found something to feed our fussy kids.
-staff - all brilliant. Mostly they were genuinley friendly (more than just saying Bula all the time) fun, thoughtful (a car seat was put in the minivan for our airport transfers without us asking for it) and many remembered our children's names. We had no issue of Fijian time and found everything really punctual - the staff joked with us that it was us who were running on fijian time when we were a minute late to an activity.

Finally, I thought the hotel did a really good job at meeting the needs of both families and adults. At the buffet they often put all the families together which was more relaxing for us because we then didn't have the stress of our kids interupting adults wanting some quiet (and hopfully suited the few adults who were dining at 5:30pm). I didn't see any kids in the adults only pool so this hopefully suited the many homeymooners and anniversary couples there.

I would definitely go back there - to both Fiji and the Intercontinental.

Room Tip: Our garden room was close enough to the pool and beach. The buffet and reception was a bit more of...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Bula onlinemum,

Vinaka vaka levu for you thorough review of our resort! I am so glad you and your family enjoyed your holiday with us and we were able to exceed your expectations in so many ways.

I was particularly delighted to read you and your children had the opportunity to get to know Fiji from many different aspects and I am so pleased you enjoyed your visit to the sacred Navo caves. You’re quite right, Malomalo Primary School is a part of Natadola Bay’s community close to our hearts here at the resort and we’re delighted to offer our guests the opportunity to make a difference in the children’s lives.

Please feel free to let me know when you decide to book your next InterContinental Fiji holiday on scott.williams@ihg.com and I will ensure our team here at the resort take great care of you once again.

Scottsdale, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

From the moment we arrived the staff showed that they weren't trained to handle their duties. From receptionists, to hotel managers, to room service, to wait staff, to pool staff, to the tour arrangers/concierge, they all separately showed how unprepared they were and unknowledgeable they were about how to do their job correctly. Had this been a cheap three star hotel, it would have been fine, but we were paying $600-700 a night for poorly trained staff and service.

The facilities are relatively new and extensive and quite nice though I didn't use the gym and spa, and I can't offer a review of them. The rooms were nicely appointed. The beach is nice, but a far cry from the beaches one can see in Fiji (Castaway Island comes to mind). The food is okay with their high end restaurant bordering on being good. Finally, the location is removed from the Nadi and the bulk of the other hotels which can be both good and bad. We tried to take a few trips, and each time, just getting to Nadi or the port Denarau took an hour or so.

For those of you that don't need examples of the shortcomings, read no further, but I wanted to substantiate my claim that service was falling short, as we all have different definitions of service. Upon check-in, I was told that my card would be charged for the room and any other room charges, but I had prepaid. The manager came over and verified this, but said she would look into it. I reviewed my Expedia itinerary, I called Amex and Visa, and verified that I had prepaid. The next day, I explained this to someone else at reception, and they said the issue had been resolved. Hmm, shouldn't they have told me that it had been resolved before I spent an hour plus calling overseas to double-check? The manager never got back to me?! The same receptionist couldn't translate Fijian dollars into US dollars - simply didn't have the math skills to do this. I was a bit surprised by this. Shouldn't the reception desk staff be able to quote Fijian dollars in other key currencies? She had the cross rate. Room service bothered me too. Every time they came, they left all of the dishes thoroughly plastic wrapped and didn't bother taking any of it off or asking if we preferred to have it taken off. Hmm? Why didn't they also try and set the table instead of simply leaving the entire tray on my table the same way they brought it in - with dishes stacked?! Regarding the wait staff, they were incredibly slow at everything. Yes, it's Fiji time, but should it take an hour to get some ceviche and pizza? They said they had an ordering issue when we asked, but shouldn't they made us aware of the issue or said, "I'm sorry"?! It was a chronic issue so I got in the habit of getting the menu myself, ordering the drinks at the bar (or picking up the drinks we ordered from the waitress as they sat on the bar), and sitting in the middle of the restaurant. We took a day trip to an island one day and borrowed 2 towels. Because we returned them the next day, they charged my room $50 each? Really?! We didn't get back until 6:45pm and they closed at 7pm. They also never offered to set up seats for you with the towels, move an umbrella, or anything. The tour arrangers made mistakes about flight times for our helicopter which meant lost sleep, and just found it difficult to do anything but pay.

The only thing the staff was told is to say "bula" (hello in Fijian) to everyone with a smile when they passed. That they did well, but beyond that, they had absolutely no training! Really a shame given the potential for this property.

Bula AmanJunkieBoston,

Thank you for your review of our resort and I was disappointed to read that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss the matters raised further and can be contacted at scott.williams@ihg.com..

We would love to welcome you back to Natadola Bay for a true InterContinental Fiji holiday experience in the near future so hope to hear from you.

Scott Williams

Been to InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!