From the moment we arrived the staff showed that they weren't trained to handle their duties. From receptionists, to hotel managers, to room service, to wait staff, to pool staff, to the tour arrangers/concierge, they all separately showed how unprepared they were and unknowledgeable they were about how to do their job correctly. Had this been a cheap three star hotel, it would have been fine, but we were paying $600-700 a night for poorly trained staff and service.
The facilities are relatively new and extensive and quite nice though I didn't use the gym and spa, and I can't offer a review of them. The rooms were nicely appointed. The beach is nice, but a far cry from the beaches one can see in Fiji (Castaway Island comes to mind). The food is okay with their high end restaurant bordering on being good. Finally, the location is removed from the Nadi and the bulk of the other hotels which can be both good and bad. We tried to take a few trips, and each time, just getting to Nadi or the port Denarau took an hour or so.
For those of you that don't need examples of the shortcomings, read no further, but I wanted to substantiate my claim that service was falling short, as we all have different definitions of service. Upon check-in, I was told that my card would be charged for the room and any other room charges, but I had prepaid. The manager came over and verified this, but said she would look into it. I reviewed my Expedia itinerary, I called Amex and Visa, and verified that I had prepaid. The next day, I explained this to someone else at reception, and they said the issue had been resolved. Hmm, shouldn't they have told me that it had been resolved before I spent an hour plus calling overseas to double-check? The manager never got back to me?! The same receptionist couldn't translate Fijian dollars into US dollars - simply didn't have the math skills to do this. I was a bit surprised by this. Shouldn't the reception desk staff be able to quote Fijian dollars in other key currencies? She had the cross rate. Room service bothered me too. Every time they came, they left all of the dishes thoroughly plastic wrapped and didn't bother taking any of it off or asking if we preferred to have it taken off. Hmm? Why didn't they also try and set the table instead of simply leaving the entire tray on my table the same way they brought it in - with dishes stacked?! Regarding the wait staff, they were incredibly slow at everything. Yes, it's Fiji time, but should it take an hour to get some ceviche and pizza? They said they had an ordering issue when we asked, but shouldn't they made us aware of the issue or said, "I'm sorry"?! It was a chronic issue so I got in the habit of getting the menu myself, ordering the drinks at the bar (or picking up the drinks we ordered from the waitress as they sat on the bar), and sitting in the middle of the restaurant. We took a day trip to an island one day and borrowed 2 towels. Because we returned them the next day, they charged my room $50 each? Really?! We didn't get back until 6:45pm and they closed at 7pm. They also never offered to set up seats for you with the towels, move an umbrella, or anything. The tour arrangers made mistakes about flight times for our helicopter which meant lost sleep, and just found it difficult to do anything but pay.
The only thing the staff was told is to say "bula" (hello in Fijian) to everyone with a smile when they passed. That they did well, but beyond that, they had absolutely no training! Really a shame given the potential for this property.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort and Spa is located on the beautiful and picturesque Natadola Beach on Fiji's main island of Viti Levu. Relax on palm-fringed white sand beach or swim or snorkel in rolling surf to experience natural Fijian ambiance. The resort offers breathtaking 360-degree views of Natadola Bay and exotic landscaped gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Agoda, Priceline and Venere so you can book your InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Fiji Golf Resort And Spa
- Intercontinental Fiji Golf Hotel Sigatoka
- Intercontinental Coral Coast
- Intercontinental Fiji Hotel
- InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa Sigatoka