“Worthy of Architectural Digest” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Sigatoka
Toronto, Canada
“Worthy of Architectural Digest”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Talk about modern, clean-lined, richly textured and designed down to the very last detail! This huge resort has the feel of a luxurious Miami resort hotel. From the lobby to the restaurants to the rooms, everything has been well thought out and meticulously presented for maximum creative impact. Unless you look out at the view, it was at times hard to remember that we were in Fiji!

You were always very well taken care of at the InterContinental. The staff were helpful and genuinely friendly. The food fresh and plentiful, albeit a bit repetitive. Beach area was nice, but no palapas on the beach for shade, only at the pools. The spa was spacious and tranquil, the steam/cold rooms a contrasting experience.

The resort is associated with the Malomalo Primary School, and a portion of your hotel bill can be donated to the school (however, you may decline this donation at checkout) to help out with better equipment and facilities. There is a free tour on Thursdays to visit the school, and we spent a wonderful afternoon with the children, who performed songs and dance for us, and proudly showed us their classrooms. I had the chance to spend some time speaking with their teacher, who was articulate and informative. A most worthwhile experience.

We were at the InterContinental for a company sales convention, and it was a really good experience. However, if we were to return to Fiji, we would probably not choose this particular resort because it did not have the “Fijian” vibe we would be looking for.

p.s. you can follow the railroad tracks as a shortcut and cut through the resort quicker than walking the paths. The tracks lead you to the main lobby area and the Sanasana Restaurant. Watch out for froglets!!!

Room Tip: Our room facing the lagoon was quite quiet (Bula 24).
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
General_Manager_Fiji, General Manager at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Bula msmew8,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I really enjoyed reading your take on the architecture of the resort. Interestingly enough the layout of the resort was designed to reflect of a traditional Fijian village, with all the bures (houses) strategically arranged around the most central gathering place, or rara.

I have also passed on our great comments to the team here at the resort who appreciate your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back should you decide to return to our sunny shores in the future. Please feel free to drop me an email at scott.williams@ihg.com and I will be sure to see that our team takes great care of you once again.

Scott Williams

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (466)
  • Korean first
Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

OK - My husband and I have stayed at the Intercontinental three times in as many years so I feel qualified to offer a comprehensive review.
Positives:
The rooms at the Intercontinental are DIVINE and cannot be faulted. Many of the rooms do however face directly onto the children's swimming pool, thereby ensuring raucous noise in the room from dawn to dusk. If you want a quieter time, upgrade to a beachfront room - well worth the money in my opinion.
The 'adults only' pool is great but could do with more umbrellas - when the resort is at more than minimal capacity it is difficult to get a lounger under an umbrella.
Natadola beach is beautiful and the activities are well run and staff great.
Not so positives:
During Aust/NZ school holidays the resort is overrun with children. Outside school holiday times the under 5's predominate. If you want a romantic holiday, this may not be the place. There's NO WAY I'd have a honeymoon here! Mealtimes are are circus in any of the dining spots apart from Navo.
Approximately once per week (well, it has happened two out of the three times we've been there), the resort is descended upon by over 100 'day trippers' who come off cruise ships in Nadi and then get buses to the hotel. Cue: kids in the adults pool, 1hr wait for lunch and massive competition for loungers by the pool. In my opinion it is disrespectful of the hotel to do deals with these cruise ship companies and disrupt the holiday of their staying guests to grab a quick buck from these day trippers. For this reason alone my husband and I may not return to Intercontinental.
The relentless rise of the Australian dollar has paralleled a rise in cubs ('cashed up bogans') in the resort. I don't know if I've ever seen so many tattoos or heard so many people murder the English language in one small area. Cultural cringe in the extreme and doesn't make for a relaxing time.
The food in the resort is average.
More to come...have to board my flight now....

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a beachfront room!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Bula hs1972,

Thank you for your review of the resort, we appreciate our guests feedback as we endeavour to ensure InterContinental Fiji is a great hotel guests love. I was delighted to read you enjoyed our rooms, and I certainly recommend a Beachfront or Lagoon view room to enjoy the serenity of Natadola Bay.

Although school holidays can be a busy time at the resort our ‘adult only’ dining and facility options aims to give tranquility to those seeking it. If I may, I also recommend staying with us during our off-peak season for ultimate peace & quite. I have forwarded your suggestions on to the management who value the feedback to improving our service.

I trust you had a safe return and look forward to welcoming you back to our sunny shores in the future. Do email me at scott.williams@ihg.com and I will ensure the great team at reservations looks after all your booking needs.

Perth City, Western Australia, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

My Fiance & I are currently planning our wedding and took a trip over to Fiji to view the resorts. We decided to stay at the Intercontinental Golf Resort & Spa as we had completed a fair bit of research and viewed it as the ultimate place to hold our wedding.

Once we arrived, we were not at all disappointed, the resort is amazing. Our room had the most amazing view over the bay & with the added bonus of the Cleopatra bath and waterfall tap located on our balcony (which is standard in every room), I was completely won over. We ate at all the restaurants & also completed most of the in-house activities the resort organised.

We viewed the Resort from our Wedding guests point of view also, there are many different facilities that cover all age groups, the kids club looks well set up & the Nanny service offered by the resort is very well priced & the people are amazing.

We had booked into view other resorts for the wedding but decided against as we have definitely found the ULTIMATE wedding venue & its 11 months to go until we return!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Bula Huia-Jade H,

I was delighted to read you had a fantastic experience with us and, yes, the outdoor Cleopatra baths are certainly a favourite amongst our guests!

Congratulations on your impending nuptials and we’re looking forward to celebrating your big day with you soon! Please feel free to contact me directly on scott.williams@ihg.com if I can assist in anyway.

Sota tale! (until we meet again!)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I had a fantastic time. Friend staff invite you into the Fijian culture as much as you would like. If your goal is a pool and a nice hotel room, done. If you'd rather drink kava with locals, snorkel, go to church in the Fijian village, horseback ride on the beach, etc etc , done. The staff embrace "Fijian time" mean that everything isn't as prompt as a Ritz in NYC, but that's part of why you're in Fiji. Relax and enjoy being the only resort on a miles worth of beach with limitless coral reefs and sunshine to spare. A+++

• Stayed October 2012
Bula Vinaka Mcdrews,

Thank you for your review, it was short but sweet and we certainly appreciate you feedback. I am so pleased you and your wife had a fantastic time at Natadola Bay and I was particularly happy to read you took advantage of our ‘In the Know’ authentic cultural experiences while you were here.

We look forward to welcoming you again. Please don’t hesitate to contact me on scott.williams@ihg.com when you decide to book you’re next holiday and I will ensure our team takes great care of you.

Southport, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

My family recently enjoyed 7 days at this Resort. We have two garden view rooms which were very well appointed, beautiful spa/day bed in each room was a nice touch. The hotel was clean, staff were friendly and helpful consistently and we felt we had permission to do nothing. The resort is a good size with lots of space to spread out, ie. away from pools and noise etc. The adult infinity pool is lovely and a dedicated kids pool is good too. I was pleased that our rooms were not near the kids pool/club, as our daughter is a teenager etc, we did not need that convenience - however a family with small kids etc would be well suited to be close to those areas.

The food was good and I would recommend joining up to the Privileges food program, www,priorityprivilege.com for significant food savings. My husband is an Ambassador member of the Priority Rewards program, but the food program is different (which we were not aware of). It was $280 to join, but with up to 50% discount on dining, it was worth it over the seven days. Thankfully we had joined up before booking a meal at the fine dining, Navo, restaurant - so the 50% saving on our dinner for two was terrific. Navo has a dress-code, men need long pants, collared shirt, no thongs etc - keep that in mind when you are packing.

We were impressed with this resort, a little convenience store that sold bottled wine and beers was a nice surprise, lovely to be able to have a drink in your room etc. Resort wear/gift shop was well stocked and prices were reasonable. The Day Spa is excellent, pricey, but worth the spend. A nice selection of treatments.

Our only semi-negative feedback was that around the adult pool, there are only 8 permanent umbrellas and these are fully taken most days - people claim them early and then often wonder off around the resort etc - so many other guests are left to cope in direct sun. There are some day-beds with a canopies, however we found these too hot (no airflow). There probably needs to be a set up that allows for day-umbrellas to be used (and easily removed) for night and high winds - as too many permanent umbrellas would ruin the views etc.

Overall, lovely.

Room Tip: Ground floor units have easy access to gardens and beach, block 11 peaceful and well positioned to m...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Bula Vinaka Goreid,

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. I was pleased to read you enjoyed many aspects of the resort, and certainly agree that Spa InterContinental is an excellent way to treat yourself while you’re on holiday.

Also thank you for highlighting the need for additional umbrellas around the Infinity Pool. This issue has been mentioned and we are currently looking into the issue.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our shores once more. Feel free to email me at scott.williams@ihg.com when you decide to book your next holiday at Natadola Bay and I will ensure our reservations team takes care of all your booking needs.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

This place is seriously amazing. We spent a week here after backpacking in the Mamanuca Islands so it was quite different to our other Fijian experiences. Boy, were we relieved to be there!! The level of service and friendliness of the staff (typical of Fijians) was top notch. The location was a bit remote but that is understandable as there is a golf course there and the property was huge!. The lagoon was beautiful, the restaurants served a variety delicious foods and cuisines, and the cocktails and other beverages were exquisite! The buggy service from the Club Lounge and to all over the resort was so efficient and staff would make friendly conversation. I honestly cannot fault this amazing place!

• Stayed November 2011
General_Manager_Fiji, General Manager at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Bula Georgia R,

Thank you for your short & sweet review of our resort. I was pleased to read our enjoyed the famous friendly Fijian spirit and stunning scenery of Natadola Bay.

We look forward to welcoming you back for another sunset cocktail soon! Please feel free to email me at scott.williams@ihg.com when you decide to escape to paradise again and I will ensure our team looks after all your needs.

Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Just got back from the Intercontinental Golf & Spa Resort. It was very relaxing, spending most of our 5 days in Fiji lazing by the adults only pool.
We did get very sunburnt in the first few days which put a bit of a dampener on the rest of our stay. We did use 50+ sunscreen and sat in the shade for most of the day. I haven't been burnt on holiday since I was a kid, so it was a bit of a shock. We did notice a lot of other people were sporting very red tans as well. I would suggest that most people should bring a swim top to wear and use a good sport sunscreen. The resort should also put up more shade umbrellas, as they are valuable property around the adult pool.
I would suggest people take insect repellant with them as well, as the restaurants are all open during the evening, and 2 out of 3 people in my traveling party got bitten.
As others have stated, the food is fairly average, except breakfast which was very good at Sanasana.
If I went back to Fiji, it would be to stay in an adults only resort, as there were a lot families with very loud young children at this resort. Mealtimes were not relaxing at all.

• Stayed October 2012
Bula Caz333,

I was delighted to read your review of our resort and I am so glad you had a rejuvenating five day holiday with us. It was unfortunate that you got a bit of ‘pink tan’ while you were here, we definitely recommend all precautions are taken whilst lazing the days away on our sunny shores.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our sunny shores in the future. Do email me at scott.williams@ihg.com and I will ensure the great team at reservations looks after all your booking needs.

Scott Williams

Been to InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!