“Absolutely AMAZING and gorgeously STUNNING...and we haven't actually stayed there yet!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa

IHG Special up to 25% Off
Ranked #4 of 10 hotels in Sigatoka
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

OK, to start with, I wanted to point out that I haven't actually STAYED at the Intercontinental Fiji yet, so this review is based purely on a dining and service experience from our visit to have dinner and drinks there 12 months ago.

So, to set the scene, my family have holidayed in Fiji twice now in the last 2 years, but have yet to stay at the Intercontinental. On our last trip to Fiji 12 months ago, we stayed at another 5-star resort located on Denarau Island. Staying in a 3-bedroom villa with private plunge pool and private BBQ, it was everything we needed for a 9 night stay with our 2 young children. While we were there, however, we became aware of the Intercontinental and thought it would be nice to have a visit there and experience another 5-star Fijian property. And boy, are we glad we did! From our hotel on Denarau, we had been liaising with the Intercontinental's Food and Beverage Manager at the time to arrange our helicopter/dinner booking, and he was absolutely fabulous and nothing seemed like too much trouble. We had organised for a helicopter to pick us up from Denarau and fly us to the Intercontinental. There was a vehicle waiting to pick us up and take us to the hotel, where we enjoyed some drinks in the bar overlooking the stunning Natadola Beach. But the best was yet to come.....Navo! Hands down, we all feel that it was not only the BEST seafood we’d ever had, but beyond a shadow-of-a-doubt, the best service EVER!! And that’s coming from people who have travelled all around the world and eaten at some very interesting places! I wish I could remember our waiter’s name, but he was amazingly attentive, extremely knowledgeable and very friendly.

To cut a long story short, we had decided that we definitely will be staying at the Intercontinental Fiji for our next trip, and luckily for us there is an upcoming wedding in our family and it is going to be at the Intercontinental Fiji...needless to say my husband and I were indeed very excited to hear this! We are fairly confident that the reason our family member is getting married at the Intercontinental is primarily due to our glowing recommendations of its service, dining, and stunning location when we returned from our last Fijian holiday a year ago.

I can't wait to stay there later this year and can HIGHLY recommend Navo to anyone who not only loves a top-quality seafood feast, but also enjoys a world-class restaurant experience on one of the most beautiful, pristine beaches in the world!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
General_Manager_Fiji, General Manager at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
Bula vinaka ‘supermum777’,

We appreciate you taking time to share your feedback on tripadvisor. We’ve passed your comments on to our team at Navo and we’re delighted you will be joining us at our Natadola Bay shores very soon.

Thank you for your glowing recommendations! We look forward to making your stay with us a wonderful experience. Please do not hesitate to e-mail me if you need anything more.

1,231 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
  • Korean first
Hong Kong/London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

I did the whole tripadvisor thing, checking out all the hotels for Fiji. For the Sigatoka area of Fiji the 'Outrigger' and the 'Intercontinental' came top, both with very high ratings.

In the end i figured with them being both so well rated, that I would let the price decide. The outrigger resort being much cheaper. My girlfriend and I booked our 'rest and relaxation' holiday at the outrigger for a week.

after our first night we left the outrigger (including paying a penalty) fee and sought refuge at the Intercontinental.

The difference was absolute, but be clear you do pay for it at the intercon.

The room size, quality and amenities at the intercon are amazing. Also without our asking we were upgraded as the it was off season so they had the rooms to spare.

bullet points:

1. staff are amazing and wonderfully warm. In fact the people of Fiji are just wonderfully warm and bright.

2. The resort quality is impeccable and vast.

3. room are huge and very, very nice

4. lovely adults only infinity pool

5. food is very nice

6. beach is amazing, with nice sand and long stretch

7. good diving

8. didn't use the gold course

I highly recommend this resort, but beware the seasons. We went at the beginning of march which is the off season. As a result we had plenty of space and received lots of attention from the staff.

Room Tip: ask for an upgrade. pool side rooms are well situated and close to the beach. if you can get a bea...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
General_Manager_Fiji, General Manager at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
Bula vinaka Mark,

We enjoyed reading your review of our resort and thank you for your great feedback. We’re pleased to read we delivered the rest and relaxation experience you needed from your stay and that you enjoyed our beautiful Natadola Bay location.

We are also pleased to read you enjoyed your room and its facilities. We agree that our team is warm and friendly which comes naturally to the Fijian people and we are happy you received this ‘bula spirit’ during your stay!

We hope to welcome you back for more relaxation at our sunny shores Mark. Please let me know if you plan to return at scott.williams@ihg.com and I will be sure to have your bookings or enquiries looked after by our great team at reservations.

Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

Our first stay at the Intercontinental Fiji in 2011 was hard to fault. Exactly 12 months later it's a shame I'm unable to speak so highly. The biggest problem seems that management appear to cater for corporate conferences with little attention placed on individual guests and their needs. During our 8 day stay here, we received no less than four correspondence stating what facilities would be unavailable for guests to use, and on one occasion even advised guests not to join in on a pool volleyball game as this was a pre arranged activity. Umm, thanks Intercontinental, If we wanted a contiki tour I do believe that's what we would have booked.
The quality of food has noticebly dropped, we were very disappointed in all catering options apart from Navo which is still outstanding.
My advice to people entertaining the idea of staying at Natadola is, yes you must, it's a wonderful and beautiful location in the Coral Coast, yet I'd look into staying somewhere else. We are!

Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Bula vinaka ‘ccsomewhere’,

The team and I were very disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your second stay with us.

We are always pleased to welcome back return guests and we are genuinely sorry you did not receive the experience you expected from us. Your feedback has been shared with our management team who will address in their respective departments. This is certainly not reminiscent of the high standards we hold ourselves to and would like to assure you that every guest, irrespective of whether on holiday or business is important to us.

If you would like to return to our sunny shores please contact me directly on scott.willilams@ihg.com and I will personally ensure that your next stay is a memorable experience.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

we chose this hotel because of the crystal clear beach and it did not dissapoint. We stayed at the beach front suite and were just a few meters walk to the beach.
Being an Ambassodor with the intercontinental we were upgraged to the suite from the beach from room but their were some confusion when we were checking in. We actually wanted to stay at the club rooms but the were not informed correctly on which room to get in order to be upgraded to the club room. We informed them of this while checking in as we thinking we were gettting upgraded to a club room. The had checked the website, intercontinental reservation call centre and the hotel prior to booking to see which room to get in order to be upgraded to the club and were mis informed. We were asked to pay extra $200+ a night to get the upgrade to the club during checking which was not worthwhile as we could have done it for cheaper had we gotten the right information prior to booking. Never the less we were happy with the room we eneded up in as the view and access to the beach was amazing. The sand was white and powdery and water was warm and clear.
We we celebrating our anniversary and were given champaign. We do not drink alcohol and requested something else. We came back to the room to find 1 litre bottle of Fiji water instead which was a bit dissapointing. After a phone call to the reception we were presented with a basket of ferrero and chocolates which is what we expected.
The service was great. The staff were very helpful and friendly.
Food was a big let down. Buffet breakfast and themed dinner evenings were not 5 star. We were comparing to intercontinental malaysia and shangri la malaysia, it didnt meet the mark. We were taken out for dinner to outrigger Hotel one night by a friend and the food there was much nicer and cheaper. We also went to sofitel on the indian theme buffet and in comparison to Intercontinental natodola, sofitel was much much nicer in the food department. But staff at the intercontinental resturant were very friendly and accomading to our halal food needs.
One thing which we found unprofessional was the waitress pulling her face and fighting in front of us with the staff who was seating us. She was upset that we chose to sit in a certain area and not were were "suppose" to be seated.We ended up sitting where we were suppose to sit. My husband addressed the issue with the supervisor and it was resolved with a apology.
Food at Novo is a must. The whole experience was special as I arranged the staff to bring the dessert with "Happy Annivesary" for my husband. He was pleasantly suprised and we really enjoyed our evening there. The food was amazing and the service was top great.
The adult pool was really nice - one of the best ive experienced.
We did a snorkelling trip one day which was also really good.
Overall it is very nice hotel but I dont feel it is value for money in comparison to other 5Star hotels. But it is one of the best 5 Star hotel in the mainland in fiji.

Room Tip: Beach front is just a few steps away from the beach.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Bula vinaka ‘whoruntheworldgirls’,

Thank you for taking time to write us a review. We’re happy to hear you enjoyed our white sandy beach, adult only infinity pool and the snorkeling at Natadola Bay. We’re also pleased you enjoyed the dining experience at Navo and are happy you both enjoyed your anniversary celebration there.

I am disappointed to read of your experience at check-in, the issue with your amenity and the service during seating. Our department heads will be using your feedback to enhance the services we provide in those areas and I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

We were surprised to read your comments on the food as we have received a lot of great feedback on how good the food is here but understand that guests have a varied palette and what works for some may not work for others.

We hope you return for another stay and give us a chance to deliver a true Natadola Bay experience for you both. Please e-mail me at scott.williams@ihg.com if you ever decide to return and I will personally ensure your next stay with us is all you would expect from our team and resort.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

We recently stayed at the Fiji Intercontinental to celebrate my friends 50th Birthday. The resort is beautifully manicured. We had a King pool view room on the ground floor which was great being able to walk directly out to the pool, the rooms are spacious and well appointed with airconditioning and fan as well as beautiful amenities. The adults only infinity pool was beautiful with plenty of loungers single and double ones with huge umbrellas. Natadola Beach is probably one of the best in Fiji. A nice beach for a morning walk. The restaurants were nice with a good selection of foods, try the golf course for lunch if you fell like a change, can highly recommend. Navo the fine dining restaurant was WOW WOW WOW, we ate there on the evening of my friends birthday, the service was outstanding - no fiji time here !!!!! The food was beautiful, quite expensive but worth it. Happy hour at the bar was not to be missed with the daily shows and sunsets. Even though it was February and normally the rainy season we were lucky enough to have NO rain for the whole 5 days, clear and sunny. A special mention and thank you to Brendan Lane-Mullins, Director of Food and Beverage, who was extremely helpful in the planning of this holiday, birthday cake etc and petals arranged on the bed saying Happy Birthday. The staff seem more than happy to allow you to drink your own alcohol around the pool area, and we took our our nibbles to have with drinks, although we always had the cocktail of the day !!!! The resort has a well stocked store for daily needs. The spa beach cabana massage highly recommend.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms could be a bit noisy during peak seasons, if you are a couple I would go for the be...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Bula vinaka ‘Stoneyridge’,

Thank you for taking time to write us a wonderful review. We were pleased to read your feedback and were happy to note you enjoyed your stay.

WOW is the perfect word for Navo and we’re pleased to share that our fine-dining restaurant recently won the “Restaurants & Dining” award in the annual “AON Fiji Excellence in Tourism Awards”. We would appreciate you writing a review for our Navo restaurant on our tripadvisor listing so we can find out more about your dining experience.

We will be sure to pass your feedback on to Brendan as well as our other team members. We hope you keep us in mind for future holiday plans and look forward to welcoming you back to our resort. Please do not hesitate to e-mail me at scott.williams@ihg.com if you would like to return and I will be sure to have all your booking needs looked after by our very capable reservations team.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

This hotel is located in Natadola Bay, which is about an hour drive from Nadi International airport. The actual distance is only 40 kilometers, but the road itself is in terrible condition. There are numerous villages that you pass by and very deep potholes.

There are few signs on the main road, but they are easy to miss if you are driving in the dark. I would suggest that you try to get to the resort during the day light hours. Also, the GPS in my phone was not able to work properly on the Pacific. I did get an approximate location based on the cell phone towers, but not the exact one.

The check in could have been better. For some reason their system showed me as a Gold member even when the correct InterContinental status is Royal Ambassador. I didn’t have the card with me so I had to log in to the Priority Club website to show them that I was indeed RA

Not sure what is the usual Royal Ambassador upgrade here but the entire Club section of the hotel was closed due to low occupancy during the southern summer. You can see the club buildings on the attached map. They are further away from the main pool and beach. I would rather be on the buildings that are next to the beach.

They hadn’t prepared a suite for me as they had the wrong status on their system. I was told that it would take 10 to 15 minutes for them to prepare a suite for me. I went to the bar by the pool and had a margarita while waiting.

The suite 2112 was a beautiful ground floor suite with an outside terrace that had a nice bath tub. You could walk on the grass to the beach or just relax on the couch outside. The living room had a really long sofa, work desk, entertainment system, a hair, and the access to the patio. Bedroom was anything you would expect from a modern hotel. There was obviously another TV and wired internet connection. The hotel didn’t have wireless internet access in the rooms. Bathroom had a shower and a toilet, but as I noted above the bath rub was actually on the outside patio.

There are two main pools around the property. According to the map there might be one in the club area as well, but that was closed as I noted earlier due to low occupancy. The main pool is by the beach and is infinity style. There are plenty of sun chairs and loungers around. You can watch the pool while eating or drinking in the pool bar/restaurant.

The other pool is closer to the buildings. There are quite a few loungers and sun chairs in this area as well. I think that this pool is a lot swallower than the infinity one.

The beach here is much better than in the Denarau area, but I would still probably spend most of my time by the pool or in the private patio. There is also a small island on the other side, that you can access during the low tide by just crawling. During the evening you can see quite a few local people crawling in the water and doing some fishing.

There are two/three restaurants on the property, and as one might expect this being a resort they are all on the high side when it comes to the price. There aren’t any local other options around. I only had a snack on the restaurant in the evening as I had arrived rather late. In the late morning I had a lunch of fried calamari and fries. Both were fine.

They had a modern fitness center that was housed in one of the buildings. It had all the modern equipment that one has come to expect.

This property surprised me very positively after subpar Hilton, Starwood, and Carlson properties in the Denarau area. This was truly made for international InterContinental standards and the target audience is definitely more upscale clientele than those of the above mentioned other hotels. The pool and beach area is basically fantastic. Employees were mainly Fijian but the GM and one lady working in the guest relations were from Australia/New Zealand.

Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Bula vinaka ‘LoyaltyLobby’,

We enjoyed your comprehensive review of our resort and were also happy to read your blog post. You took some great pictures and we especially enjoyed the detailed video of our Lagoon View rooms. Thank you for taking time to provide us with such great feedback.

Your comments on your check-in experience have been noted and we will be using reviews such as yours to enhance the check-in experience we provide.

We appreciate your high recommendations of our resort and hope to welcome you all back for another holiday. Please keep us in mind when making future vacation plans and e-mail me at scott.williams@ihg.com if you ever decide to return. I will be sure to have your booking needs looked after by our capable team at reservations.

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

Just returned from this Hotel. I would rate it the best in Fiji. We had a Beachfront King Room and it was very spacious. Comfortable bed, all luxury amenities and a wonderful verandah which was only metres to the great white sandy beach. The Cleopatra bath on the verandah was pure luxury with complete privacy. Adults only pool was fabulous. Food was great even though Toba Restaurant was not open in the evenings. Navo Restaurant was the best having just won the award for Best Restaurant in Fiji.

A truly 5 star resort, we have travelled to Fiji many times over the last 26 years and stayed on the mainland as well as quite a few islands and we were very impressed with the standard of service from the staff as well as all the resort facilities.

The Spa was excellent and I had the best massage.

Suggest you join the Intercontinental Ambassador Programme before arriving or on checking in, only US$200.00 for life with a yearly renewal fee, which gives you automatic upgrades, late check out, free movies, water and fruit in your room on arrival and quite a few extras. Had we be informed of this when we checked in we would have signed up right away and it would have given us an upgrade to a Beachfront Suite. Had we known about the programme before booking I then would have booked a Beachfront Suite and been automatically upgraded to Club Intercontinental. We had an inspection of the Club and the rooms with the plunge pools are magnificient with great views. Free cocktails and canapes for 2 hours of an evening, also butler service and free internet are just some of the extras at the Club.

Thank you Intercontinental we will be back.

Room Tip: Blocks 10, 11 & 12 all face the beach. Ask for a ground floor room. We had room 1113.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Bula vinaka ‘babyboomer58sydney’,

We’re delighted to receive such great feedback from a ‘Senior Contributor’ and are thrilled that someone with your travel experience would rate us ‘the best in Fiji’!

Our Beachfront rooms have a great view of Natadola Bay and we’re sure you enjoyed some beautiful sunsets during your stay. We’re happy to read you liked your Cleopatra-bath as well as the room facilities.

Thank you for the great comments on our food, our adult only infinity pool and SPA InterContinental we will pass your feedback on to our department heads who will be sure to share it with their teams.

We’re excited to read you will be returning to our sunny shores for more relaxation. Please e-mail me at scott.williams@ihg.com when you decide on dates and I will be sure to have our great team at reservations look after your enquiries and booking needs.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our sunny shores!

Scott Williams

Been to InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!