“Amazing - thank you so much” 5 of 5 stars

Tropic of Capricorn Resort
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   11 Wasa Wasa Rd, Nadi, Viti Levu 7200, Fiji   |
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Nadi
Back in Burnley
“Amazing - thank you so much”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

On my 1st visit to Fiji I was unfortunate enough to Stay In Smuggler's Cove but eventually found "Mama's" towards the end of my stay. On return to what is for me the best country on earth I was really looking forward to staying at Mama's again. Mama and her fantastic team did not disappoint...

I cannot thank the whole team enough for what they did for me in my 6 week stay - nothing was too much trouble for them and Mama truly has a heart of gold. She looked after me when I got sick and made contributions to my stay too numerous to list. By the time I left I genuinely felt like one of the family and to mark my departure a special party was thrown in my honour...

It was be a while before I return to Fiji but in the meantime I will continue to spread the word about the Tropic of Capricorn. I would not hesitate to recommend it to any kind of of traveller - but especially the backpacker market. Thank you so much for for everything Mama - I send my love to you and all your hardworking and amazing staff....

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2009

I don't normally write internet reviews but after staying at Mama's and having such a brilliant experience i decided to write....

I'd initially booked into Smugglers which is next door, but after they messed up my booking i wandered over next door to Mama's who instantly greeted me with a personal welcome and sorted me out with a room. As a solo traveller stuck in the dark in Nadi with no guaranteed accomodation i was close to tears but they were so friendly here i instantly felt like i was at home.

As well as the personal service, the place is extremely clean - rooms are spacious and air conditioned which is much needed in the Fiji heat. I hadnt realised breakfast was free but it was fantastic and you can eat it more or less on the beach :-)

Reception was really friendly (thanks Mary!), and couldnt help you with more.

Overall, had a brilliant stay here and would urge anyone against staying next door at smugglers cove and stay at Mama's instead!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Port Douglas, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2009

We stayed here for almost two weeks on and off, and before we arrived I was slightly neverous as it was my first hostel. I cannot tell you how pleased I was to arrive and find Mama ready with our room, coffee and big smile and a hug.

I have previously read mixed reviews on here about the staff, and I think it is fair to say you either hit it off, and it becomes like home with the staff as family or it never really clicks for you. However the staff DO NOT steal from you, they don't enter rooms at all, I am not sure about the dorms but defo not the private rooms. not even to swap towels etc they are provided downstairs daily.

For us it was perfect it is not over run with 18 year olds a real good mix of age groups and people, but the lively smugglers is just next door so you can go there too..

Poni arranged our accomodation and catamerman for the islands and he did a fantastic job, picked us perfect hotels, doens't charge a penny, and visits them personally every year.

The room was lovely, fab view over the beach with a balcony, double bed and clean new bathroom., amazing AC and no bugs at all.

Food was so good by Bella, mega large portions served any time, and plenty of toast and coffee/tea for breakfast.

Aside from Mama being wonderful, the only downside was the beach is not the best in Fiji, and it is a slight walk to a supermarket, smugglers has a small shop & washing machines next door though.

I would defo recommend Mama's for a budget stay we had a fab time, made many friends, given top travel advice.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

This place is really the cats meow... It is in a great location, just a stones throw from anything in Nadi, and as far as I could see was for sure the cheapest. Has an amazing kitchen, and the Fijian fish is to die for!!! They also have a cool bar area with big screen for chilling out in the afternoons over a bitter. Nice pool, with great beachfront area. New, and clean as well. I spent an evening chatting it up with Mama, and man is she a great host!!! She helped me in every way possible, and went well out of her way to make sure my stay was as good as it was. Excellent staff, and highly recommended from this backpacker.... Enjoy!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Narrabeen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2009

Hello from Jules, Jacob, Kelly, Taylah & Shaye, this hotel/backpackers is the best there is just no other service like it in Fiji and that is coming from someone who managers a busy hotel in Sydney CBD. They make you feel like a part of their family and special, its a unknown paradise! and more. Big thanks to Mama, Poni, Bella, Coolah, Attah & Don you all are STARS. Awesome rooms on the beach and great value for money we have rebooked to stay again. Coolah & Anna have the magic touches for beauty & massage Please do not listen or believe any rubbish you read about Mamas Tropic of Capricorn its just not true. Try it you love Mama & her staff and you will keep going back for more.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2009

This is definatly a top hostel along the picturesque newtown beach (especially at sunset). Entertainment from the Kavaholics band that get everybody together and forms its own little hostel community.. If you want a real taste of local hospitality make sure you stay here, its awesome!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Byron Bay, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

We stayed for one night during the floods. This obviously impacted on our stay- however:
Management told us the day before our arrival that all was okay and we'd be met at the airport. Two and a half hours after arrival and numerous phone calls (we were the only tourists left at the airport) we were taken to Mamas where we found leaking rooms, no flushing toilets, and no showers. Staff were friendly, thought here was a negative overtone. I was even asked why did we come? After having to move beds to the middle of the room, water dripping over us all night, fill the toilet from the swimming pool etc have no facilities to shower, we had a simple breakfast of white toast. We were very glad to leave. We found this place very overpriced (though considerably cheaper as walk in rates) and were pleased to find equally priced accommodation that was far better.

• Liked — The bar man
  • Disliked — Grotty
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Tropic of Capricorn Resort? Share your experiences!