“Simply the best” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Nadi
Melbourne, Australia
“Simply the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I was here for a night. Absolutely loved it. This place is just awesome. Nice Location, excellent service. Had taken a sea view room and whole night could hear the sound of waves. Room was very clean and spacious.
The Owner Mama is very warm and friendly. Would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Savusavu, Fiji
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We live in Fiji, are Fiji citizens and know that you just roll with the punches with whatever happens! It is what it is and it is what YOU make it!

After booking in to the Bamboo next door and them having no record of our booking (they'd rented our pre-booked room out!) they took us here. We recognise the area as budget travel, but we get a lot of divers who are on a budget and we'd wanted to try out a place to stay in Nadi to help our guests out by trying and then recommending. We paid $65 FJD for a double room, breakfast included.

Capricorn offered us ocen view or block wall view, we chose ocean view and they then said sorry, only block wall view - I think it had to do with us having a large suitcase and ocean view had stairs! Not beig fluent in Fijian has us at a disadvantage sometimes!

Room, was on the driveway, very small, air con was not efficient, no hot water and towels, sheets etc were clean but stained.

Breakfast was local supermarket jam on toast and tea/coffee.

Cycone damage still obvious, but lots of new building, so they must be doing OK. Good on them. Location also sees them amongst a number of other budget accomodations and backpackers can party up a storm!

It is what it is!

Room Tip: Main building, Ocean View - insisit you can carry your own bag to ensure you get it!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Nadi, Fiji
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Tropic of Capricorn is the most amazing place... its beautiful, clean, very cosy and loveable.

Mama the owner of Capricorn is a god sent angel.... As soon as I walked into the hotel- she greeted me like I was a long lost son..

Please come to Nadi and stay here..

Love you Mama...

Best place ever :)

Room Tip: Choose the room upstairs for good views of the ocean.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I was here in March/April 2012 (during Cyclone Daphne).

Firstly, I was in Bamboo. Which is really cool. Then I moved over to Tropic of Capricorn just over the road. I stayed in the downstairs dorm. Also one night in the upstairs dorm. The below review covers both.

The rooms are better. Cleaner. The place is clean :) It has air con and the shower/bathroom facilities are the best.

The air con was well good!

But where it really shines is Mamma. On my trip around the world my fondest memory of somewhere to stay would be here when I think of the hospitality. She goes out of her way to make people's stay as hassle free and as nice as possible.

Example:

Myself, along with others, had problems with a certain boat company regarding our bula passes that would take us island hopping. Mamma sorted pretty much all of this out (even though some people did not buy the pass through her). I am convinced that if she was not involved then some people (including myself) would have been massively out of pocket.

Cannot fault the place. Really kind and welcoming! Even when I came back from island hopping and had a night before my next flight she welcomed me like an old friend (and I had no reservation). Mamma - if you're reading this I think I still owe you for the bed for that night! Get in touch and I'll wire you the money (Nish Mohamedally)

There is a pool and there is an ocean view. I fully recommend that you stay here when on the mainland.

No bedbugs. Clean. Cheap. Honest. LOVELY owner. What more could you ask for?

This is the only review I think I have done on Trip Advisor where I've rated 5 stars for service, value, sleep quality, cleanliness and rooms.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Mama treats all of her guests like long time friends coming to stay in her home. Lovely modern accommodation right on the beach and not far from the airport, and best value compared to other backpacker places located on the same street. Nadi itself is definately just a stop over place while you go exploring other parts of Fiji, but staying at Mama's is like dropping in to see your friend while on holiday. Will definately be back Mama!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Limone sul Garda, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

we spend there one night. we got a very small room, full of dust at the last floor. the hotel is a mess, full dirty, a lot of dead insects everywhere, cats and dogs going in and out the kitchen. the pool is not a pool is just a hole with green mouldy water, so small that my bathtube home is quite the same. the owners are unfriendly and the place is just running down. i asked why everything was so dirty and the owner answered me that the cleaning lady had her day off....to me she could have left weeks ago...
the air conditioning is over the bed and so drops on the pillows...the pillows inside were green of mould. my partner has a light asma and we didn´t know about the mould, so he coughed all night before discovering the reason the following day.
it´s a pity because the hotel is right at the beach but if you take a look to the next resort or the other budget options around new town you see immediately the difference.
in my opinion cheap doesn´t mean to be dirty. i suggest not to book here.

Room Tip: they are all the same
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Cologne, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

It wasn´t the finest hotel ever nor is Nadi the nicest place to staz in Fiji since they have all those beautiful tiny islands. BUT if you stay on the main island go Mama´s tropic of capricorn. It is really clean, modern new looking bathroom, with a nice ocean view.
The price-performance ratio was excellent. The breakfast was nice as well and Fijians are super nice, they even carried our luggage to the room.
There is a nice hostel right next to Mama´s as well, but it´s more expensive and has shared rooms. But you can just walk over and eat in their restaurant and have some drinks at their bar which is nice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Tropic of Capricorn Resort? Share your experiences!