“Excellent Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Nadi
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Excellent Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2008

We stayed at the Mercure our first and last night of our 7 day stay in Fiji. The hotel ever very clean, staff is extremely helpful and friendly. The breakfast is excellent and has an omlet station. Few good restaurants within walking distance of the Hotel. There is also a gas station across the Hotel that sells drinks and snacks and is open 24 hrs which was helpful since the Hotel restaurant/bar closes at 11pm.

• Liked — Close to the Airport and Nadi Town
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2008

We booked to stay at the Mercure for 1 night before we got our connection boat to one of the islands
After reading a few of these reviews i got a bit concerned about the noise and location but then thought well it's only for 1 night and decided to stay after all.
When we arrived the staff were fantastic very helpful indeed the porter took us to our room and we were very surprised on how modern the room looked each room had 2 double beds and was very clean etc
The pool area looked very nice but can't really comment as we arrived in the evening and by the time we left we were to excited to notice the pool area, we actually had a meal at the hotel and couldn't fault the food one bit and very cheap.
As we needed a nother room for when we returned from the island we were so impressed we booked to stay there again, but this time we ventured out of the hotel for our evening meal and found a really good Thai restaurant which was less than a 5 minute walk away.
This hotel is very close to the airport and yes you do get plane noise but when your in the room you can bearly hear it and it won't effect your sleep

• Liked — Close to airport
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
nsw
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2008

Disgusting and appalled.
Where do I begin.... many of you are proberly aware that I travel to Fiji on a regular basis you will see some on my blogs now and then.

I would have to say this would have to be the lowest hotel I have stayed in Nadi town in a while.

I have stayed in other Mercure hotels which are similar in standards... well so I thought.

After my flight arrived at the hotel, greeted by the front desk and porter which was fine, but then was sorted hinted to me that the staff would greatly appreciate a tip, and because I didn’t tip one of the porters said something under their breathe in Fijian which I didn’t understand but I could tell by the body language it wasn’t very nice at all.

The smell of mildew and mould hits you straight away when the door opened, and since the rooms are small you feel as if you can breathe.

There was a balcony which you could sit if you wanted to. My room wasn’t very clean the tiles still had sand on the floor, another words they didn’t sweep the floor, the mat in the room needed a good clean it was filthy.

The bed was putrid, the sheets were not cleaned there were brown stains and foot marks on the linen sheets, pure filth. The bathroom was rusted hardly any hot water which even though its Fiji I don’t like to get up at 6.00am to have a cold shower thank you very much!

I did go down to complain it was like talking to bricks, 1 hour later my room was at least half cleaned.
The bathroom was small and there was a sliding door which mine was broken.... lucky for me I was on my own.
There is a beautician salon there, which was fantastic the girls there did a fantastic job.

The average massage will set you back approx $FJD 85.00 which was bliss, well done there.
The most disgusting thing that I came in contact with was breakfast, it was appalling.

I decided to go down to breakfast around 9:30am it looked as if it was “left over’s” for breakfast, it was like “scattered allotment” I had a look to see what was available there was a few breakfast sausages and you had to ask for a chef to come out and cook an omelette flies around the food always a great look, but what mortified me the most was when I asked for a plate for breakfast there was no clean plates available so the staff member said that he would get me a plate.

The next thing I see he gets a plate from someone who has just finished breakfast puts it in the water under a tap and says to me here’s your plate. I was shocked and in dis belief, at what I just saw him do.

From then I said to the staff member I will not want breakfast. $20.00 FJD to end up with food poisoning thru grotty hygiene habits of the staff which was plain filth in my eyes.
When it came to check out, there was no point organising porter age, I did this and had to wait so I decided to bring my luggage downstairs myself.

Because of my work it was convenient for me to stay at this hotel; I can assure you when I come back to Fiji in a few months I will not be staying at this hotel again. The hotels in Nadi town aren’t exactly the best quality but there is no excuse for filthiness. Next time I’m here will spend the extra money and stay at Denarau instead.

• Liked — the beauty salon
  • Disliked — the disgusting filfth
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2008

Wasn't the cleanest of rooms. We stayed there the night before we went to Mololo island and the night before our flight home. If you get room service don't order the margarita pizza. It had mint instead of basil on it.
The pool looked like it hadn't been cleaned in some time... but the price was cheap so you get what you pay for.

If you have a bit more to spend, got to the Westin @ Denarau Island. It's much better.

• Liked — The girl workig on th hot plate at breakfast. She was very nice.
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2008

Ok spot for a 1 night stop over but not a place I 'd ever want to spend a week. We stayed here before and after our 4 day cruise and it was fine for that. Room was fine. No bathroom fan or elevator to top floor. Nice view of pool. Found lobby and restaurant a bit depressing. Food mediocre. Concession attached to hotel was very expensive.Close to airport but not beach.

• Liked — nice pool and view from rooms
  • Disliked — felt a bit like a place where people come and go and no one stays.....
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2008

We arrived at the hotel pretty late as our flight was delayed and the airline actually lost our bag with the hotel voucher in!

However when we arrived we checked in with no problem and the reception staff actaully printed us another copy of the voucher with no problems!

The room was spacious and clean and we had 2 double beds to choose from!

We ordered room service which came really quickly and was a good feed.

The pool and bar area was really nice and lit by laterns which added some atmosphere. The reception area has 2 computers with internt access but it is a little pricey! 13 dollars for an hour! But it also has sofa's etc that you can chill out on and watch the flat sceen TV next to reception

The bar staff were really friendly and reccommeded what drink we should have which was a nice touch and the bar/ restaurant is modern and has a good atmosphere.

The breakfast was realy good and the have a great choice to suit everyone.
Check out was quick and easy and they also ran the shuttle bus to the airport.
We caught a cab to Nadi centre and it cost $9 and then pn to the port for another $10.

All in all a great place to stay near the airport!

• Liked — The breakfast and the view over the pool at night
  • Disliked — expensive internet!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2007

We spent 1 night here at the end of our 11 night Fijian holiday in November. I do try my hardest to see the positives in various places, but I must say I’m thankful we weren’t here very long. I will admit it’s quite cheap and you do get what you pay for, but still…..we weren’t all that impressed and were glad to be only here for a short time.

The negatives………Our garden view room was very, very small and claustrophobic, smelled musty and stale, the air conditioning was freezing cold on the lowest setting, but the room was stuffy and hot and smelly without it, the bathroom was tiny and smelled like fresh paint (but not in a good way!), the beds were extremely uncomfortable, the pillows absolutely stunk of sweat and goodness knows what else and were the most uncomfortable I have ever encountered in my life, I am not convinced the sheets were entirely clean, and there was no hot water! Ok, I tell a lie, that evening we managed to have a lukewarm shower, but the following morning when I tried to revive myself before our early departure all I got was freezing cold water. The whole place was pretty noisy too, you could hear cars coming and going, people coming and going, and planes coming and going, all hours of the day and night. We had a terrible night sleep because of all this, and were so glad to be leaving at 7am. Basically morning couldn’t have come quick enough!!

The positives……… cheap and convenient for a 1 night stopover, close to the airport (but also see negatives re noise!), had a TV, clock radio, small fridge, restaurant on site with room service, nice enough looking pool area although we didn’t have time to use it. The meal we had in the restaurant was fine – nothing to write home about but certainly ok and reasonably priced. They also had a small cot already set up for my son, which was surprising considering 2 other places we stayed at while in Fiji lost those instructions during translation.

I wont go on about it, in all I’ll just say its cheap and convenient to the airport, I can’t really say how close it is to Nadi town because we weren’t there long enough to explore but the taxis lined up outside reception were a good indication its probably not just a quick stroll down the road, and if you do want to go anywhere you don't have to look far for transport. If we return to Fiji I’d probably stay here if there wasn’t anything better to choose from. I would recommend this place for short stopovers only, and definitely not for a week long stay unless you're planning on being away from the hotel exploring Fiji all the time, because there didn't seem to be much else close by.

• Liked — Price, convenience to airport, restaurant & small convenience store on site
  • Disliked — Pretty much everything else, especially the noise, stinky pillows, hard bed, and cold shower
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Mercure Nadi? Share your experiences!