“Good, clean hotel. Relatively expensive food and internet.” 3 of 5 stars

Tanoa International Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Votualevu Rd, Nadi, Viti Levu 9203, Fiji   |
Ranked #9 of 26 Hotels in Nadi
Oahu, Hawaii
“Good, clean hotel. Relatively expensive food and internet.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

Stayed for 5 days for a series of business meetings. The location is quiet and a 10 minute taxi ride from the bustle of Nadi town and about 20 minutes from Port Denarau. There's not much shopping or dining within walking distance and the cabs charge extra for hotel pickup (quoted fares to Nadi Town were FJD 13 and to Port Denarau FJD 30). There is a free hotel shuttle to/from Nadi Airport.

Stayed in an Executive room that was well maintained and clean. I found the bed to be a little softer than I prefer. There was an ample sized desk, sitting area with coffee table, electric kettle for boiling water and instant coffee/tea in the room along with a refrigerator. Combination room safe in the closet. AC worked well.

Ate breakfast and lunch there most days. Full breakfast seemed a little over-priced for the quality and variety of food (FJD 30), but there was very good fresh fruit. The breakfast and lunch menus did not vary much at all. Buffet lunch was less impressive than breakfast. I found the rice at lunch to be consistently soggy and the entrees not very flavorful.

Internet service seemed very expensive with a FJD 40 daily rate or 100 for 3 days. Prices for food/drinks at the hotel cafe were similarly higher than I expected.

For dinner, I would highly recommend the trip to Port Denarau instead of to Nadi town unless you're budget is very restrictive. There is a greater variety of interesting restaurants open in the evenings in Port Denarau (we ate at Indigo for Indian food twice and had very reasonably priced [FJD10-16 per main dish] and very good meals both times). Saffron, the very good Indian restaurant in Nadi was closed the night we tried to go there.

Overall, I would stay here again if on business or on a short Nadi Airport stopover. Some of the prices seemed higher than I would have expected. For future fun trips I might be inclined to try some of the newer hotels on Denarau or, of course, on the nearby island resorts.

Room Tip: Evening live music can be heard in the rooms facing the lobby/pool area.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Tanoahoteltih, General Manager at Tanoa International Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2012
Bula run2sea

Thank you for your review.

We appreciate feedback from our guests. I have passed on your comments to the appropriate areas of the hotel. In particular I have spoken with Chef re your comments about the lunch buffet.

In regards to food pricing, in my experience our pricing is lower than that of Denerau, and the restaurants at Port Denerau. I will revisit, especially Indigo to compare again.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Fiji in the future.

Matthew Gillespie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Las Vegas, NV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

If coming from the US a great place to stay and adjust to time change before going on to outer island expensive resorts. It is close to airport with free shuttles. The rooms are large, clean and air conditioned. Beds very comfortable. The buffets are ample and tasty. The staff is very helpful. Grounds are beautiful and immaculate. This was our third stay at Tanoa International. If we return to Fiji, we will stay again.

Room Tip: Each of our three stays were in different but good rooms, no favorites.
Bula kendagail

Thank you for your review.

It is always pleasing to receive positive feedback, especially from returning guests.

It is very pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Tanoa International Hotel, and we do hope we can welcome you back to Fiji in the future.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

We stayed our last night in Fiji at the Tanoa.

After coming into Denarau on the Yasawa Flyer we were able to get the free bus to the Tanoa.

This hotel provides a free shuttle to and from the airport which is about 5 min away.

Our room was clean and tidy and had everything we needed for a one night stay.

The shower was heaven!!! especially after being in the outer islands for a few weeks.

The bed sheets felt silky and seemed very good quality.

The restaurant meals were a little on the expensive side, but there is also a cafe that is open during the day.

Internet vouchers can be purchased from reception.

Staff were friendly and helpful.

We would stay here again for an overnight stay.

Bula Maria H

Thank you for your review.

I will pass on your comments to the appropriate areas of the Hotel.

It is very pleasing to read that you enjoyed you last night in Fiji at the Tanoa International Hotel.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to Fiji in the future.

Honolulu
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

My girlfriend and I were here on a 13 hour layover from Honolulu to Auckland. So I decided on pre-booking the Tanoa due to the supposed “4-star” rating versus the other hotels, the free shuttle, and nice pictures of the room and hotel on Trip Advisor. Before I continue, I find that, just like myself, I had no clue what Fiji is like. It is NOT developed and it is not as modernized/westernized as you think. With that being said, the Tanoa Hotel as a hotel is just par/sub-par than any hotel you’ve been in. Also because of this, the front desk staff (that we encountered) seem to have a bit less friendliness than you expect. They did their job, sure, but a simple smile would’ve helped. In summary, our room was clean, the A/C worked, the shuttle was on time, and we were in and out. (Thankfully) Fiji as a whole made us not want to stay there any longer than we had to. Thus it is too bad the attitudes and surroundings still seep into the hotel no matter how enclosed they are at the Tanoa International Hotel. Check in, check the heck out.

Bula FlynHawaiian

Thank you for your review.

I have passed your comments on to the appropriate areas of the hotel.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

If our flight hadn't been delayed by 8 hours we would have had the most beautiful memories of the Mamanucas in Fiji. We came rudely down to earth via Tanoa. This is the real Fiji..third world and depressing. A closet sized room, an hour wait for our lunch, not a single light fixture worked...Really, we sat for a couple of hours in the darkness lit by the TV screen!! It was shocking..I was glad to leave.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Tanoahoteltih, General Manager at Tanoa International Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2012
Bula anime22

Thank you for your review. It is always difficult when your travel plans are delayed unexpectedly.

I do find your comments troubling and somewhat confusing.

The rooms at the Tanoa International Hotel are larger than the average size room of two of worlds largest 4 star brands. Certainly they are not huge, but they are a very good sized room by international standards. I have never heard them referred to as small, let alone closet sized.

Your comment regarding "an hour wait for our lunch" also troubles me. Your profile states you are in Auckland. There was a delayed flight to Auckland on the 26th of May. The passengers from that flight arrived at the hotel between 10.30am and 11.00am. A buffet lunch was prepared, and served at 12.00, until 2pm. A la carte menu was not offered to delayed passengers. So I am unsure what you are referring to, unless you are referring to the time between your arrival at the hotel and lunch being served. If this is the case, then I do apologise, but preparing lunch for 50 people, with no notice, does take some time.

In regards to the lighting problem you mention, if the lights in the room did not work, then I do apologise for this. If all the lights were not working then it must have been a tripped circuit breaker, which would have taken 5 minutes to remedy if we had been notified. You make no mention of contacting us regarding this, nor do our guest request and/or maintenance logs show this. I do apologise for this.

While I understand you were distressed by your travel plans being disrupted, I do hope you will return to Fiji in the future. I also look forward to reading your review of your stay in the Mamanucas.

Regards

Christchurch, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Stayed two nights to keep costs down before going to Plantation Is. Food was ok and reasonable value for money. Really smelly rooms (damp) but nice garden/ pool view. Terribly noisy with all night band til after midnight & just general noise down the hallway which came straight into room. Nice staff & good enough facilities. Two massages had by us & both cut short by 10mins. So would I go there again? Maybe if a bargain but very average.

Room Tip: Probably a room well away from restaurant pool area is best.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Bula zenshell

Feedback is important to us, and I have passed your comments on to the appropriate areas of the hotel.

Your comment regarding a damp smell in your room is very concerning to me, and I would ask you to email me gm.tih@tanoahotels.com.fj so I can get your details so I can identify what room you stayed in at the hotel.

I am disappointed that on this occasion we seem to have fallen short in some areas and for this I apologize.

I appreciate that everyone has their personal preferences when it comes to choosing hotel for their holidays and should you decide to visit Fiji once again and consider Tanoa International Hotel, please let me know and we will take special care of you.

Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

We arrived on 4 May 2012 at 9PM at the hotel and while we had some problems, the hotel staff were wonderful in accommodating us. Our room was very clean and we enjoyed it. The beds were very comfortable and the A/C was great and we didn't even notice that it was 32 degrees outside during the day and around 28 degrees during the night. The internet (while a little costly) was very fast and they gave you around 5GB of data to use in 3 days which was great. The food was some of the best we ate at Nadi. Above all, the staff were the best. They were always friendly and willing to go the extra mile to keep us happy. The free shuttle service to the Airport was great. The only issue I had with our trip was the Taxi Drivers who were at the hotel charging different amounts to take us to town e.g, one charged us $13FJ the other $15FJ and another wanted $18FJ. They never used their meters and kept saying the Hotel asked them to not use their meters which obviously was a lie. I understand that it is not the Hotel's fault, but I would like to warn any visitors to ensure you ask the taxi drivers to start their meter whenever you use them. We will definitely stay at the Tanoa International Hotel again when we are in Nadi next.

Room Tip: Executive Rooms are the best
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Bula moshnz

Thank you for your review.

We value all feedback, and I have passed yours on to the relevant departments.

It is pleasing to read that overall you enjoyed your time at the Tanoa International Hotel. In particular your comments regarding the staff at the hotel are very pleasing. We have a strong internal staff recognition programme, so if any staff members in particular stood out please do email me on gm.tih@tanoahotels.com.fj and I will see that they are included in the recognition programme.

I have discussed at length your comments regarding taxis with the main taxi company the hotels uses. I do apologise for your less than expected experience.

I do hope to be able to welcome you back to Fiji in the future.

Matthew Gillespie

Been to Tanoa International Hotel? Share your experiences!