“A unique experience” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sydney, Australia
“A unique experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

A 40minute drive away from Denarau down a bumpy road in the shadow of the sleeping giant you come to the mud pools and hot springs. I did not know what to expect. While I don't think I will be coating myself with mud again anytime soon it was a great experience.

You pay $15 Fijian per adult to enter and you get a very nice guide who will tell you about the place and show you what to do. You pretty much cake yourself in mud (surprisingly it doesn't smell bad at all), walk aroud in the hot Fijian sun waiting for it to dry, wash it off in the muddy pool and then soak in the beautiful hot springs. Awaiting you at the end are some lovely ladies who will give you a massage for $10.

We paid $40 Fijian each way in a taxi that and split the costs with another family from Denarau, which was a lot cheaper than the official tours on offer. The porters at the hotel arranged this for us in no time at all.

They do have a shower at the end in case you didn't wash all the mud off in the pool. Also, I found the mus didn't act as much of a sunscreen so coat yourself before you go as you could be walking around for up to half an hour waiting for the mud to dry.

We took our three year old who did not want to get any mud on her not get into the hot springs but did love the massage. She did have a great time though watching her parents cover themselves in mud.

Arlington, Virginia
59 attraction reviews
“Great value, unique experience and a small glimpse into "the real Fiji"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

It's about a 30 min can ride out from Denaru Island and I wouldn't want to drive the road myself, but the $100 round trip cab fare for two was well worth it. The mud bath itself is only $15 per person and $30 for what was billed as a 30 min massage but stretched closer into an hour. The mud is silky smooth and not at all what I expected, although the leaves in the mud pool are a strange feeling for sure! There is the obligatory "look at the native crafts for sale" while your mud is drying, but you aren't pressured to buy. You are kind of pushed through the mud, hot pool, and drying stages, but it's a fun experience and great sights along the area. I'd definitely recommend the massage and you may want some dry, non-muddy clothes for the ride back, but the mud washed easily out of our bathing suits. Great break from resort prices and great resort getaway!

Suva
8 attraction reviews
“Excellent - but not for everyone”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Don't take Sabeto Road past sabeto village - this is the wrong turn & no one down this road had ever heard of hot springs or mud pools! Keep driving along from Nadi to Lautoka, over a bridge that turns slightly to the left. Take the next right with a sign to the Garden of the Sleeping Giant.

I think any hot springs signs were blown down by Cyclone Evan. We went to the first hot springs & my kids did a run to the next door and instead of having a variety of pools they only had one.

My husband myself & a variety of 5 children ranging from 4yrs to 13yrs all loved it. But I can imagine covering yourself with warm mud might not be everyone's cup of tea. It was a brilliant way for our family to start 2013.

I wouldn't take toddlers. The 4yr old had a swim vest, luckily as he couldn't stand in the the pools & isn't a fabulous swimmer.

Lower Hutt, New Zealand
“The best thing you could do in Nadi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Awesome trip out with my boyfriend to Sabeto Hot Springs and Mud Pool! It was amazing and the local villagers really get into it. Ask your taxi driver to take you directly there, and it felt great to be directly supporting a village instead of paying through a third party. Admission is also super reasonable! Mud is so slimy and so much fun, and your skin feels fantastic afterwards. As someone has mentioned before, you definitely need a nap after the thermal mud! After going back to the hotel (and you have to wash your hair about three times to get it all out)... we were completely relaxed but flopped straight into bed afterwards.

The souvenirs they sell are the same everywhere and are overpriced but are all individually owned so again, felt good to be supporting them, but if you are looking for a bargain- shop somewhere at Jack's Souvenirs instead.

Visited November 2012
Los Angeles, California
3 attraction reviews
“Not for me”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I was surprised that I did not like this attraction because I was really looking forward to it, but once there I was not into the mud pools at all. It was warm and not terribly smelly (don't get me wrong, still had a stench), but the stagnant water + mooshy/reed-filled pond bottom really grossed me out. I had dirty water and mud in places I ordinarily work hard to keep clean;)

Most of my friends were able to get into it, but not me. It was authentic though, and the cheapest mud bath you'll probably ever come across.

Oh, and the mud bath leaves you feeling really out of it for a few hours.