“Made our 20th Wedding Anniversary one to remember” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 21 Restaurants in Avarua
Cuisines: Pacific Rim
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Norfolk Island
“Made our 20th Wedding Anniversary one to remember”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

Celebrated out 20th Wedding Anniversay at Tamarind House, we were going to do the Elvis Chapel bit in Vegas, but as family and friends met up with us in Cook Islands decided to do it there. Arrived at 6.00pm with Blue Hawaii in the car all the way, had 2 bottles of Mumms in ice buckets, one on the beach and one at our table. Walked down the beach and renewed our vows, then hit the restaurant, what a amazing night, my husband had the Chocolate Mousse Dessert, to die for. Thanks Sue for the recipe he is making it for Christmas. Hopefully be back to celebrate our 21st. Amazing staff and would highly recommend.
Raewynne
Norfolk Island

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Blenheim, New Zealand
“Over-priced and under-whelming”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2010

Disappointed with this restuarant. The menu was average and the food even less so. Both my entree and main tasted of nothing and cost me $50 for the priviledge (oh, the water is almost $5 a bottle!!!! Other places I ate at on the island offer free water.
The atmosphere in the restuarant is dull, as were the staff. The bathrooms shabby and dated.
Did not even bother with the drinks menu as they only had one type of sauv. blanc sold by the glass, all others were by the bottle (at 3 X the price the same bottles are in town)
Tamarind House, never again!!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Napier, New Zealand
“Must do in Raro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

We just have returned from having our wedding reception at Tamarind House. It was amazing. The staff at Tamarind are all welcoming and professional and the food was outstanding. Sue made the whole experiance stress free and very easy. It really is a special spot. Weather you are planning a wedding or just a fantastic meal out you will not be disappointed if you choose Tamarind House. Can't wait to go back!!

Houston, Texas
“Amazing find in a remote place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

I came here to celebrate my birthday after reading the reviews and viewing the website. I was very surprised at the quality of the cuisine and the cooking based on where in the world I was. I ordered the Baked Bried in Filo on papaya, cashews, salad greens with tropical fruit sauce and chutney for an appetizer and it was really excellent. For the main course, I ordered Chicken breast with papaya, apricot, coconut, cream cheese, cashew nuts, wrapped in bacon with risotto. It was one of the best things I've ever eaten. I loved it so much I purchased the cookbook and had Sue Caruthers sign it for me.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Christchurch, NZ
“Good food in great setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

We had been recommended this place for our anniversary dinner but as we were staying further round the island we opted for a casual lunch the day after as we didn't like driving at night. We sat outside where it was rather breezy but very welcome on a scorcher of a day. I had fish and chips which was parrot fish (from Palmerston apparantly) and my husband had smoked chicken salad. The fish was done in a light beer batter and accompanied by a generous and welcome serve of tartare sauce, chips and salad. My husband was in raptures over his very full plate and managed to polish everything off. I had a glass of Tamarind House Sav blanc (Lawson's Dry Hills) which was comparable in price to a NZ restaurant. The atmosphere and surroundings are very pleasant even though it is not the nicest beach front on the island. The main was satisfying but what is it with not offering extra drinks and dessert? Most places we went to never came back to see if everything was okay, if we wanted extra drinks or dessert. We finally managed to grab a passing waiter and order dessert. We shared a creme brulee and it was the first time we received fruit other than paw paw. The accompanying apple, grapes and passionfruit pulp were a pleasant change. The price is along the same lines as most other restaurants with lunch mains between $20-30 and dessert around $11.