“Comfortable, convenient and casual” 4 of 5 stars

PO Box 719 | Atupa, Avarua, Cook Islands   |
Offers & Announcements
25% Discount
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Comfortable, convenient and casual”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

This is the second time our family has stayed at Tiare Village and for good reason. This is a back packer type accommodation that is close to the main city, Avarua (a 20 minute walk) and the main market, which sells fresh fruit and vegetables every day. The airport is about 25 minutes walk. The beginning of the most enjoyable island walk through dense native forest to needle rock is just around the corner. The whale museum, a wood carver and talented artist and pearl shell carver, Apii Rongo, are all within 5 minutes walk. There are good little grocery stores just up the road. One of the most beautiful places to watch the sunset, Black Rock, is about 5 minutes drive from Tiare Village.
The manager, Adrienne is very reliable with pick ups from the airport, even in the early hours of the morning and gave good friendly advice on car rentals.
However, the best part of Tiare Village, is the gardener, who is a lovely man and good for advice and another perspective on Rarotonga life. He also brought us fresh fruit from the spacious gardens.
We always stay in the pool side chalets which are spacious, self sufficient and reasonably priced. It does pay to bring air plugs if barking dogs and crowing roosters are not your thing, but almost anywhere on Raro has the same nightly sound effects.
You also need to be aware that we live in a world of insects and not have a phobia about this. If you watch 'Wall E' a couple of times, you might begin to see the cute side of cockroaches. These are large and can fly. I caught them occasionally and put them into the garden. Killing them just attracts other predators and spreads their eggs. Although the rooms have mosquito screened windows, the wide unscreened slots between floorboards in the toilet shower areas give them easy access. A good repellant or a mosquito net is useful if you're allergic to bites. Armies of ants become part of daily life.
The walls between units transfer sound too well, so the old adage, 'do unto others what you would have them do unto you', becomes relevant. Our neighbours for 3 - 4 days had bought their own sound system which lowered the enjoyment of being there somewhat with non stop 'elevator' music in the back ground. On request, the sound was turned down, but still there.
None of the negatives above were deserving of a lowered rating. However, the rather tired nature of the makeshift beds, mattresses and bedding are. Reported in feedback for some time now, they are in desperate need of replacement and upgrading. Attention to this area and a return to the policy of supplying towels would make Tiare Village 5/5 for me.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Tryavna, Bulgaria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

we stayed here for close on two week & am more than happy with the accomodation, the well kept grounds with an abundance of lush trees & flowering bushes & shrubs.The service was over & above what you would expect, & nothing seemed to be too much trouble, to meet whatever needs you may have.Good facilities available for domestic needs with tv & internet available.Iwould have no hesitation in recomending tiare village as a good place to stay & i'll have no hesitation in staying here next time i come to this amazing island cheers

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Picton, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

Fifteen minutes walk to the airport and fifteen minutes walk to town (Avarua), just down the road and around the corner from the 'Cross Island Walk' (amazing prehistoric jungle) and just a scooter ride or bus trip to the rest of the island.
If you want convenience and no fuss this place is it.
I originally booked for two nights, then after spending a day there I booked another two, and when they were almost up I booked out the rest of my trip.
This place is a little bit countryside but so close to town, taro fields and coconut trees. You will get bored if you stay anywhere else.
I stayed in a chalet which was safe and secure.
The review about the thievery episode back in 2008 is long gone, there was no sign of Adrienne's daughter and she's probably learned her lesson by now. I can understand that person being bitter about having cash stolen but that was three years ago and things are certainly not that way now.
Don't let someones unfortunate experience get in the way of you having a really good experience.
Basically you get a two night trial and if you don't like it then you're free to move on.

Room Tip: Downstairs close to the bathroom is good.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Stockton-on-Tees
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

Stayed here for 3 months and loved every minute. Very cheap accommodation with good facilities (pool, internet access, laundry). We stayed in a poolside unit, it was basic but very clean. Great location, close to airport and close to main town with bus service to the rest of the Island!
Free fruit...pick what you want depending what is in season.
Manager Adriene was lovely and goes out of her way to help making us feel very welcome. Would recommend this place and would stay again!

Room Tip: More privacy in the pool units and chalets, although if you are travelling and want to meet new peop...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

I stayed here in September 2008. I was dorming in the main house with the DAUGHTER of the owner. She violated my personal space and belongings by going through everything I owned and stole ALL my emergency cash on hand. I had JUST started out my trip so I had US $300 buried in different place throughout my bag. She was the only one who had access to the locked room and when I reported it to the police, they informed me that she is known for this type of behavior and has been reprimanded in the past. The owner just said I should have given her the cash to put in the safe, which I agree and did from then on, but I thought the safest person to room with would have been the daughter. There are much better hostels in Rarotonga and I suggest you stay elsewhere!

Room Tip: kinda dirty and dingy. old sheets, not well lit.
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Tiarevillage, Manager at Airport Motel - Tiare Village, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
Kia Orana

I do not and will not tolerate “theft” period!

It was me whom advised you to go to the police. An interview was held and nothing came from their investigation and your views unfounded. As you well know there were 2 girls sharing your dorm during your stay and you befriended both. If there was proof without a doubt I would certainly have sort for an arrest irrelevant the relationship. When a review of this manner is placed on line it is with the intent to cause damage for the hurt this caused you. This I understand. But to defaime my daughter without proof is slander.

Tiare Village is important to me. Safety and security as commonsense prevails is the responsibility of mine to advise and my guest to take up the advice/recommendation. I am sure after 3 years since this happened you have become more mindful of the unfortunate pitfuls. Although this was a one-off situation in the 10 years I have managed the Village I am vigilant of security surrounding my guests even to the point of been told to stop nagging. Tiare Village has a good reputation which I work very hard at. Posted reviews whether positive or negative is good. The negative is also welcome as I prefer to view this as a need to revisit / upgrade or maintain aspects of the business for the betterment of future guests.

I hope probable travelers keep reading the following reviews posted.

Kia Manuia..
Taupo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

Hubby and I had a stop over here on our way to Aitutaki.

Was met at the airport by Adrienne (what a lovely lady) who could not do enough to make our stay comfortable. The hours she needs to get up to meet her guests at the airport, is shocking and yet she does this with a smile. On our way back to Auckland, she fetched us at 8pm and had to take us to Raro Airport again within 4 hours. Her pick up rates are amazingly cheap compared to others in her area.

The room by the pool was clean, just what we needed, We had a short walk to the market on Saturday. Adrienne met us halfway to make sure we were ok to walk.

Will definately stay there again, and at that rates - you cannot do better. I can highly recommend Tiare Village to anyone. Adrienne, you are a star and we hope to see you soon.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Tokoroa, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

I have stayed at Tiare village many times staying in the pool units.
Atmosphere is welcoming and friendly, Adrienne excellent host. Adrienne picks you up from airport any time of day or night.
Great location close distance to town,airport, & eating places.
Tiare village has beautiful tropical gardens with Mangoes trees, bananas,pawpaw & coconuts in which you can help your self when in season, nice and quiet to sit and relax by the pool.
Close to safe swimming spots.
There Internet, Phone and TV in main house.
The rooms good size and every thing you need, beds very comfortable.
Adrienne will arrange trips to outer Islands and tours around the Island, so makes your stay at Tiare village hassle free.
Look forward to my next trip in November and staying at Tiare Village.
Very affordable.

Room Tip: Stay at Tiare village pool units
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Airport Motel - Tiare Village? Share your experiences!