“Not suitable” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Kiikii Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Avarua
Kiikii Motel
P.O. Box 68, Avarua, Cook Islands   |
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Avarua
Hastings, New Zealand
“Not suitable”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We had booked 5 nights but not suitable. Altho cheap & we were "upgraded" as the only ones there, didn't need dirty stained linen & units lacking maintenance. "Crashed" for 1 night only - we got impression from other locals that owners not interested in upkeep. They were fixing plumbing problems in some units. Lovely location & has a lot of potential, setting & the pool could be great.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

26 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed at the Kiikii for three weeks in February of 2013. I was with Global Volunteers.

The Kiikii feels like it was the height of luxury in the late 1970s, but hasn't been changed all that much since. However, it has the cheapest prices of any place on Raro. I was in Room 21 and it was heaven - it faced the ocean and I'd sit out on the balcony for hours, just watching the waves crash against the reef. There were other rooms that were a bit more modern.

If you are spending more than a week on Raro, this is the best place to stay if you aren't all that rich and are willing to do a lot of your own cooking. Staying more than a week will be one of the best decisions you will every make. The Cook Islands are amazing - it's like the South Pacific before all the big resorts were established on places like Fiijii.

All land in the Cook Islands is owned by families - they can only lease it out for a maximum of 60 years. The rumour was that the Kiikii was on the last few years of its lease and, hence, didn't want to put too much into upgrades and fixes.

I sincerely hope that some big resort company doesn't take over the lease. With some work, the Kiikii would be the ideal budget motel.

There seems to be lots of problems with many of the rooms - plumbing that won't stop leaking, etc. However, Pauline will move you to another room. Mary looked after us most of our days and she's sweet and helpful.

The wireless internet didn't work for the last half of our days - a combination of poor service from the telecom company and the cheap equipment the Kiikii bought. I really have no idea whose fault it was, but I'd blame the telecom for not getting to the root of the problem.

If you have supposedly "high standards", go to another island. The Cook Islands isn't a place for your crankiness. The people are warm and wonderful, the pace is slow, and the environment is divine. The charm of the Cook Islands is the fact that it isn't like the cookie cutter resorts that infest most other tropical destinations.

I will go back to the Cook Islands as often as I can. I'll stay at the Kiikii because I can spend less money and extend my trip.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I spent 3 weeks at KiiKii, it was one of few places I could rent for under a month which had cooking facilities and being off peak season I paid $40 a night for 2 , to me the staff and management shared one fault that I could see and that was being human, I actually enjoyed Paulines straight up approach and found it refreshing to not have any pretence.
If you give respect you receive it.
I read of the many niggling complaints which could be fixed with 2 minutes on the end of the pool net and it was only pine needles which were on the pool floor not a radio active substance.
Mary the live in caretaker- manager was warm and is a great person and the 3 women who serviced the rooms were all gems, if I wanted to be in club med and not get the feeling of the cook's and if I was only staying for a week not 2 months perhaps KiiKii wouldn't be on my top 10 but for a safe base which had places to sit and watch the ocean it was a 9/10..also the room was 60sqm, yeah all the comments of it not being brand new etc etc may be true but remember the land is leasehold there and when the term of lease is nearing expiration perhaps less maintenance is carried out ,I was in the cook Islands and glad not to be around 2 faced tip seeking workers which I endured in resorts in other parts of the Pacific and Asia,cheers Pauline and Mary for being Emi's and my extended family while I was in your beautiful country,Kevin.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Christchurch
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Stayed during winter 2010 - our very first holiday in tropical Rarotonga! Kiikii Motel's location wasnt on a swimmable beach but booked a redecorated front oceanview room 9 months earlier. On arrival at night were given a room (in need of doing up) overlooking the garden and pool!...strange we thought as the oceanview one was vacant...missed out on all the sunrises. Turns out the couple in our booked room came a few days later but had stayed at KiiKii Motel previously and had only booked 3 months before their visit they told us!!!!! so we were pushed out to the side! Rude! Even on our Invoice the room number had been overwritten...disgusting...dishonest! Pauline the owner didnt even have the manners to inform the other guests that it had been booked by us 6 months earlier or look us in the eyes and advise us the change she had made! Some of the staff (who worked so well) discussed with us their dissatisfaction over pay rates and work conditions so we strongly encouraged them to speak to the owner about their concerns...a positive outcome resulted the next day!...congrats to that Pauline. Our spacious room was just okay for the money...ceiling fan was very dirty...average cleanliness of outdated room... curtains barely covered windows...needed to peg them together for privacy day and night...some problems with toilet and shower...our room or the whole complex needed de-bugging internally especially because of a cockroach (which carry disease) population problem. The pool had ugly green stuff (algae?) growing on and floating out from the tiles into the water...made one wonder when the tiles were last cleaned and what the water quality was like as one of us got some infection around base of nose and lips!...our eyes felt a bit tacky too after swimming and we needed to use prescription antibiotic ointments which we fortunately travelled with. Also during the time we stayed, there were some unpaid accounts at Kiikii...locals were talking...some trades people hadnt been paid for work completed many months ago. Also the landlord/lady was once again contacting the owner while we were there over outstanding rent and Pauline's loud voice was heard coming from the office even though she shut the doors. Also the staff told us that the owner talked behind guests backs about them including ourselves! Before departure Pauline rang our room and accused us of paying with the wrong credit card and that it cost her high bank fees but our card worked on her system and we werent going to reverse the transaction and use another card... we had a choice and ticked the named card on Kiikii's booking form! Not our fault or our problem! Knowing of unpaid bills @ Kiikii made us feel like paying our $$$$ directly to the tradesmen or lessor nearby. Kiikii complex was somewhat rundown when we stayed...unsure if any changes have been made now and unsure if we would repeat another stay there as we would love to go back to Rarotonga again. For the rest of our holiday we stayed at upmarket villas on Muri Beach...so pleased we had split our accommodation bookings like this otherwise our memories of Rarotonga would have been clouded because of the way we were treated by Pauline at Kiiikii Motels.

Room Tip: Depending on your budget,please check out reasonable accommodation further down the east coast aroun...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

There was an excellent range of accommodation available - from very cheap and okay, to quite lovely: prices varied accordingly, so something for everyone. Bus can be flagged straight outside: clockwise or anticlockwise! best snorkelling was off Edgewater Resort, or the Rarotongan: both of which have no problem with you busing there and walking through to their beaches. We ate and bought coffee or cocktails at both places , so I guess it works both ways. The deep sea fishing club is a 2-minute walk from the KiiKii and happy hour (4-7pm) has $4.50 glasses of wine while sitting gazing at the beautiful ocean. Amazing fish and chips sold from the boat onsite. Overall, very friendly staff, range of rooms for all pockets - and the bus system can get you wherever you want to go! Had a wonderful time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

The first unit we were shown to by a lovely receptionist seemed to have an ant problem and exposed wiring in the loungeroom. It also had four single beds when we ordered a double and was in need of a good clean.

We asked to move rooms. We only got to move after talking to a very rude woman (the owner I think) who shouted down the phone at my partner, even saying "F' God's SAKE!" before letting us move.

We were shown to the room next door. This room had a dirty used soap, a live millipede in the shower, and a toilet that flushed every 1 in 8 attempts. The curtains also didn't fit the windows so we couldn't draw them properly to shield ourselves from onlookers in the carpark.

The rooms were extremely spacious.

We decided not to stay the night.

Room Tip: Apparently there were better rooms that we could have had but the "water wasn't working ove...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I wouldn't under normal circumstances have stayed at KiiKii Motel, but I would have missed out greatly.I stayed here for 2 weeks (Oct 2012) with Global Volunteers. My room (22, possibly the best in motel) was spotlessly clean and looked directly out on the ocean, so I was lulled to sleep every night with the sound of the surf, 100 m from my window, that I kept open and had fly screen.The shower was very powerful, exfoliating! My towels were changed every day and the bedclothes every other day.The rooms have simple facilities to cook and a fridge, but there are many restaurants nearby, and the clockwise/ anti clockwise bus route makes it so easy to go to other parts of island. Highlight of my stay was seeing a humpback whale on 2 occasions just beyond the reef. All the staff, especially Mary and Pauline were so friendly and helpful. I can't recommend this place highly enough.

Room Tip: room 22, a nice breeze blowing in thru the louvered windows keeps room cool.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Kiikii Motel? Share your experiences!