“Unpleasant and rude.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Kiikii Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Avarua
Kiikii Motel
Save Saved
You added Kiikii Motel to your Saves list
P.O. Box 68, Avarua, Cook Islands   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Avarua
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Unpleasant and rude.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

The first unit we were shown to by a lovely receptionist seemed to have an ant problem and exposed wiring in the loungeroom. It also had four single beds when we ordered a double and was in need of a good clean.

We asked to move rooms. We only got to move after talking to a very rude woman (the owner I think) who shouted down the phone at my partner, even saying "F' God's SAKE!" before letting us move.

We were shown to the room next door. This room had a dirty used soap, a live millipede in the shower, and a toilet that flushed every 1 in 8 attempts. The curtains also didn't fit the windows so we couldn't draw them properly to shield ourselves from onlookers in the carpark.

The rooms were extremely spacious.

We decided not to stay the night.

Room Tip: Apparently there were better rooms that we could have had but the "water wasn't working ove...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I wouldn't under normal circumstances have stayed at KiiKii Motel, but I would have missed out greatly.I stayed here for 2 weeks (Oct 2012) with Global Volunteers. My room (22, possibly the best in motel) was spotlessly clean and looked directly out on the ocean, so I was lulled to sleep every night with the sound of the surf, 100 m from my window, that I kept open and had fly screen.The shower was very powerful, exfoliating! My towels were changed every day and the bedclothes every other day.The rooms have simple facilities to cook and a fridge, but there are many restaurants nearby, and the clockwise/ anti clockwise bus route makes it so easy to go to other parts of island. Highlight of my stay was seeing a humpback whale on 2 occasions just beyond the reef. All the staff, especially Mary and Pauline were so friendly and helpful. I can't recommend this place highly enough.

Room Tip: room 22, a nice breeze blowing in thru the louvered windows keeps room cool.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

we booked this motel the night before we were leaving to Rarotonga and they were so accommodating. The room was spacious and it was great value for money. We really loved staying here and recommend it for anyone on a budget!!

Room Tip: any room is good
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Oceanside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

Among a group of 9 amateur radio operators (plus 3 others) who based ourselves at KiiKii in October 2011 for a ham radio contest, we were welcomed like family, accomodated unhesitatingly (even with all our antenna contraptions which were set up on the beach) and, as a result, thoroughly enjoyed our time on Rarotonga. Shopping locally for breakfasts & snack foods was easy/convenient and everything neccesary to prepare our home-cooked meals was readily available in the rooms (and when we needed a huge pot for our spaghetti dinner, Pauline came up with one in a heartbeat). For our nearly two week stay, we rented a water dispenser (right near the airport) and felt that was a fabulous alternative to buying cases of small bottled waters (and thereby eliminated generating too much trash). Suggestions were readily made as to where our group should take in local flavor for dinners (Rarotongan for our Maori dinner show, Fishing Club, Club Raro, Tumunu, Whatever Bar, Cooks Corner, etc). The ambience (overall attitude, beautiful tropical garden landscape) at Kii Kii was perfect...no frills but absolutely suited our needs...comfortable, clean & family friendly. Can't wait to return and see more of the local sights (missed the Saturday market and Sunday Church service because we were busy praying to the propogation gods for our radio contest) and explore more of the inner road by motorscooter (the mandatory Cook Islands driver's license is good for a year so I may as well use it, right?!). Many thanks to Victor, E51CG (one of only 3 hams on Raro), we had the use of a local's van & two of his scooters to get our group around the island. One thing of note: no alcohol is sold on Sundays (except at bars/clubs) so plan in advance if your Saturday stash won't get you thru the entire weekend. A great time was had by all. Our group even made it into the South Cooks newspaper! http://www.cinews.co.ck/2011/November/Wed02/other.htm#1110310706

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

Kia Orana, On behalf of the 21 members of the North Shore Enua Ola Group (from Auckland, NZ) that was accommodated by Kiikii Motel from 22.7.11 up until 28.7.11. We want to show our gradtitude to Pauline for looking at our circumstances carefully to accept our bookings which was done 2 weeks prior to flying over to Rarotonga. We journey to Rarotonga to fulfil our 32km Round the island walk. Our trip was certainly complete with the budget accommodation we got given for our members and was real impressed with the service that was given by Naora who was always at our beck and call. Sure we had a few gledges at times but it was nothing major as Pauline and the staff manage to speed the process of smoothing things out for us. Overall during our stay there everyone came away satisfied and happy and would definately book again with Kiikii Motel if we had to go for another trip to Rarotonga. My children Peteli & Christiana loved having friends Bau and Kimberley who are Naora kids to play with everyday.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Hampshire, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

I arrived for a night while I got my bearings on the island, and stayed for three weeks.
Owners Pauline and Harry are helpful, the staff are great at keeping pool, grounds and rooms clean and tidy - some others have said they may be showing their age but dirty they ain't - and the atmosphere is conducive to friendliness.
The motel is not ideally located if you want nothing but classic Rarotongan sea-sun-sand-snorkelling. Otherwise, it is on the outskirts of Avarua, so is convenient for town and culture, or as a touring base. I would certainly go back if I come by Rarotonga again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
hastings
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

Stayed for 10 days. Well kept surroundings. Rooms are spacious but needs a bit of handyman work. Lovely pool area outside the apartments which my granddaughter loved. Just needs a bit of a clean regularly as a lot of people were swimming in it.
Had a lovely time at the Kiikii and not complaining for what I paid for the rooms. It was really cheap and the staff were nice. I would stay there again if I went back.

Stella

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Been to Kiikii Motel? Share your experiences!