“Does the basics adequately for a reasonable room rate” 3 of 5 stars

Embajador
San Jose 1212, Montevideo 11000, Uruguay (Centro)   |
Ranked #50 of 80 Hotels in Montevideo
Wellington, New Zealand
“Does the basics adequately for a reasonable room rate”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2009

The Embajador is conveniently located in the business and government office district of Montevideo. Friends warned us to be careful where we walked after dark - in one direction at least the neighbourhood goes quite a lot downmarket within a block or two - but apart from that it's handy to the old city, the Rambla and quite a few good restaurants and pubs. The standard room I had was not large and poorly lit so not very suitable for working in but it did have good free wireless broadband. The A/C is not that effective, which is a problem because I had to keep the windows shut at night to keep out the traffic noise. But the room was clean and well-serviced and the bathroom facilities was fine. The breakfast room offers a continental breakfast only and the choices are pretty limited, although there is lots of fresh fruit. Overall it's no Sheraton or Calle de Volpe but an adequate choice if you're on a relatively limited budget.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

Montevideo is not a city full of flashy hotels, so this 3-1/2 star hotel is very decent. It is quite inexpensive but has the facilities required. The staff are friendly & breakfast is simple but filling.
The rooms are average size & the TV is quite small but overall it is quite comfortable for a short stay. Very close to all main Montevideo restaurants.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Lausanne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

I should have put this comment because but lately I was really very busy. Sorry!
We have rented a Suite at the Hotel Embajador for three nights (14.8 to 17.8). Since our arrival at the hotel we only had inconveniences.
When we arrived at the room, I called the reception as the Jacuzzi was not working and there were a couple of lamps burnt. I was told that they would fix it and replace the lamps, but it never happened. The following day the maid came and she only made the bed. When I called her to tell her to do a proper job (i.e. put some toilet paper, put the cover on the bed and clean the glasses) she shouted at me and she told me that she was very busy and that my room was not the only thing that she had to do. She washed the glasses and wiped them with a dirty piece of cloth and left them all greasy. I contacted immediately the reception to report the maid’s attitude and they just brought clean glasses.
The following day, it was a rainy and very windy day. When we went out, we left in the door knob the sign “Do not disturb” as we did not want that woman to come to clean the room. When we came back, we noticed that the glass on the table was broken. I called the reception to inform them, and I was told that the maid left them a note telling them that she found the glass broken. This means that even though the “Do not disturb” sign was hanging in the door knob the maid came into the room. Five minutes later, the Director of the hotel, Mr. Rafael Gomez called me and he told me that I had to paid US$ 85.- to replace the broken glass. I told him that I had not broken the glass and that I would not pay him anything because it was not my fault. Mr. Gomez threatened me and he told me that I either pay him the US$ 85.- or he will call the police. Fortunately my uncle, who is a lawyer, was in Montevideo as well. So I called him and after I explained him the situation my uncle called Mr. Gomez. Mr. Gomez told my uncle that the police was already in the hotel because he had to protect the wealthy of it. In order to avoid more nuisances my uncle told him that we will pay the US$ 85.- at the check out the following day. Mr. Gomez told him that we had to pay him immediately and that he was not willing to wait until the following day. My uncle realized that he was talking to a lunatic so he went to the hotel, we paid the US$ 85.- and we left the hotel even though the night was paid as we were really scared taking into consideration that this guy is completely mad. I think that everybody should avoid this hotel not only because they are crooks but they make your stay miserable. I put a formal complain before the Ministry of Tourism and before the competent authorities against this hotel, but as usual the authorities never bothered answering none of my letter. In fact, I think that not only the hotel has to be avoided but the country as well!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2008

This was a lovely hotel. It is in a great location, only one block back from the main street. The rooms are spacious & the cleaning standard was impeccable. The buffet breakfast was great – fresh fruit, cereals, yoghurt, bread, juices, coffee, etc. The hotel offers complimentary internet access, but the connections are very slow.

• Stayed February 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
new zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2008

We have stayed in this hotel twice this time in Uruguay.
It is placed right in the central part of the city so is wonderful for getting around to see the sights and do some shopping etc.
Great cafes just down the street so you don't have to go far if you don't want to.Staff very helpful if you want something.
Rooms a little tired but they seem to be updating as things have changed after the last time we used the hotel 6 months ago.
Excellent breakfast provided in the price. Coffee is some of the best we had in the city.
Make sure you get your car parked if you have one. If you park on the street you will be towed straight away.
Very reasonable rate for what you get elsewhere. Nice quiet rooms available.It is placed smack bang in the ,middle of the main drag, one block back, so you have a wonderful choice for shopping.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2006

First off, the hotel cost $50 including all taxes....

The accomodations are decent. Like an old school hotel. A TV is included in the room. There is a pool on the roof which I did not use. The bathroom is clean and nice huge shower! There is internet in the first floor 24/7. There are english speakers in the hotel lobby.

The location is perfect, right in the heart of things, about a 5 block walk to the pedestrian zone. Montevideo is even cheaper than Buenos Aires.

The best part of this hotel is the breakfast. Fresh fruit, media lunas, awesome coffee. Just amazing.

Montevideo is pretty decent for a 1-2 night stay. I hung out in the pedestrian zone and ate dinner and lunch. Lots of good people watching. The hotel is a $7 taxi ride from the bus station. Everything is so cheap in Uruguay so take advantage of it!

Stayed February 2006
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2006

My husband and I stayed here twice during an extended vacation (once for 5 nights and one other night). Staff were friendly. Rooms were clean, quiet (not facing the street), and comfortable. Uruguyan breakfast was great (meats, cheeses, pastries, fruit salad, coffee). Excellent and safe location for walking. Taxis are cheap also to get around the city. Free internet access, small rooftop pool. Didn't use fitness facilities. Would recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

Been to Embajador? Share your experiences!