“Great place!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Santiago de Chile
“Great place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

An old building, renovated respecting the character of the place. Best salad we have in Montevideo. The bread was wonderful, and deserts were perfect. I agreed that the portions were small, but for us was perfect, thinking that we were going to have dinner that day. It was a little expensive but the quality of the place, the details, the service and the food was great!!

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

London
“Delicious, fresh, creative -- 5 stars!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

I loved this place. No complaints whatsoever. The food was divine, creative and fresh and the home made bread was a lovely touch. The ambience is unhurried but I think it´s all part of the charm. The servers were friendly and price v quality, Jacinto is one place you need to visit whilst in Montevideo.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ventura, California
“Outdoor tables on pedestrian zone”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

We stopped in here for free wifi and enjoyed a nice viognier and tapas while sitting at an outdoor table on the pedestrian zone. Service is unhurried, but we were enjoying the ambiance, the elegant buildings, the wine, the wifi and the view. A very pleasant place to hang out.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Byron Bay
“New kid on the block”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

We arrived too late for the ejecutivo lunch menu so I ordered the next best thing… El Menu del Dia (menu of the day), which turned out to be chicken snitzel and salad (see my photos). No complaints about the food, but prices here are on the heavy side and portions are not proportionately huge (I left feeling hungry). Coffee here will set you back 130 pesos (US$6.40). I don’t think I’ve ever seen coffee at these highs anywhere else in the world.

Prices can be mitigated somewhat by paying with an international credit or debit card. New government ruling is that in this case you do not pay IVA (a 22.5% govt. tax), so your bill will be discounted 22.5%, which is quite substantial. It is not really fair to the locals, but hey, might as well take it advantage of it.

Service was a bit slow considering the place was almost empty, but it ground to a halt when it came time to pay the bill. The waitress was nowhere to be seen, and after waiting an eternity I had to go looking. After the bill was presented she never returned to pick up the payment, and I had to go to the counter to present my card. This is fairly common in Uruguay where service is considered a privilege not a right, but I still find it annoying and it’s enough to stop me coming back.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sudbury, Canada
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Unfortunately we were very disappointed with the food at this restaurant. The beef was SO tough it was inedible. In fact, this is the only time we have ever sent food back to the kitchen. We do understand that chef's don't have total control over the quality of the meat they purchase, but when the server took our plates back to the kitchen, the chef's response was simply to shrug his shoulders. He offered no apology, and that's what bothered us the most. We were offered a fish dish as a replacement -- which my husband accepted -- and that was satisfactory.

• Visited February 2014