“Good location but fails on the basics” 2 of 5 stars

Radisson Montevideo Victoria Plaza Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Plaza Independencia 759, Montevideo 11100, Uruguay   |
Ranked #23 of 79 hotels in Montevideo
Vancouver
“Good location but fails on the basics”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

2-night stay in March. Hotel was conveniently located for my needs.
However, Pre-booked transfer never showed up at airport. After a call, hotel confirmed the booking and was told they would call the driver. 15 minutes later I call back and am told curtly that driver has mechanical issues and make my own way to the hotel... Ok, things can happen and this isn't Switzerland where things run like clockwork but the cavalier attitude didn't bode well for a self-styled 5 star hotel.

Hotel is not new, alas nor is the wall-to-wall carpet that reeks of years of continuously spraying febreeze to 'freshen' it up (of course as this is a high rise the windows don't open). Same issue alas with the room. Carpet galore, with miscellaneous stains. The chairs are also upholstered and threadbare... I agree that this is not to be my residence, but personally cleanliness is something I look for in a hotel and the higher the star rating, the higher my expectation of clealiness.

Bathtub had previous guests' dirt towel in it. Went down to front desk to remagnetize my card and mentioned it to the front desk at the same time to send housekeeping and was met with a nonchalant 'yeah will call'. Funny enough after returning to my room tech towel was still there.

The 'clean towels' (well the folded ones) both turned out to have some orange crusty stains. (and I've been in gyms with plusher towels).

Mattress is beat up (you sink in) and the bed stands about 2' off the floor. Bed linens are very good however.

One last thing, desk has one free outlet so you have to unplug TV or lamp to charge both your phone and computer at same time. The other lamps aren't plugged in, they're connected directly through the wall. Again if this was a B&B in the country, wouldn't be much of a issue but this is a 'business hotel' The hotel was built before cellphones existed (and maybe even laptops?) and it once again tells me that the hotel passed its prime, but owners didn't bother maintaining/improving it.

Breakfast is good, nice selection and nice that the cold cuts are actually kept cold and covered (too often in other hotels, they are left out on a table and dry out for hours. Beware though on weekdays the room is quite small for a 25-storey hotel. Once all tables are full they have. Staff member cordon off the entrance with a velvet stanchion and you can't enter until one of the table frees up; 8;30am was peak time when I was there.

And so a mixed bag review of the hotel but the cleanliness issue for a 5star hotel is what makes it too difficult for mento look over. How this hotel win travellers' hoice on trup advisor is a mystery to me (well conmletition is limited). There is a Hyatt being built I the TresCruces district so the radisson better get heir act together. I will be giving this hotel a pass for my next visit to Montevideo.

• Stayed March 2013
Radisson Montev... V, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Montevideo Victoria Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate your e - mail response with your feedback about the experience at Radisson Montevideo Hotel.

First of all we want to give you our apologies for the inconvenience caused about the transfer, I have understood that you was compensated for this matter. We regret to know that your stay with us was not satisfying and I will share your comments with the General Manager.

We want to talk with you, please kindly contact me through my email address , it will be a pleasure to begin a personal contact with you.

On behalf of our entire staff at Radisson Montevideo thank you for choosing us!

Roxana Morganti
Guest Service Manager
guestservice@radisson.com.uy
Radisson Montevideo Hotel
Ph: 00 598 2 9020111

432 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Turkish first
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed two nights in this hotel whle on a tour of four countries in South America. The room was quite nice, but the best feature of the hotel was the top floor breakfast buffet. The breakfast offerings were not extensive, but the view of the harbor from this 24th floor was spectacular! The rating of this hotel in the USA would probably be 3 plus. RobertAnn

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel has excellent accomodations. We find the prices to be super-reasonable. We have stayed here several times. Each time we enjoyed unbelievably spacious rooms. Additionally, we were very grateful for the pre-dinner spread presented to guests of our reservation level. The staff far-exceeded our expectations in terms of service. I appreciate their salon services, and each time I am in Montevideo, I try to visit the salon, whether I am staying at the hotel or not.

While here, I lost a tiny treasured earring in the bathroom of our hotel room. I searched high and low for it, but didn't encounter it. The woman who cleaned the room found it without me even asking her. I couldn't believe it. I was beyond grateful! Additionally, I found the cleanliness of the rooms to be superior.

Another time we stayed here, a famous rock band stayed also. We didn't realize until we stepped outside to see a crowd. Upon inquiry, we found it rather exciting to learn that all these people were gathering to catch a glimpse of the band. It became funny, that when we left the hotel, people took photos of us, hoping we were with the band!

We always enjoy a high quality stay here, in addition to excellent staff and service. The location is perfect if you need to do business in Montevideo, or if you need to be centrally located for tourism.

Room Tip: I believe that the floors that are highest up are more likely to be business/luxury suites.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Me and my husband just stayed in this hotel. Great location, very close to old town. Breakfast buffet was ok, very average. Very nice swimming pool. Massage and facial just ok. Surprised with hair salon, you don't need a reservation, just show up, I had good experience. It's not a 5 star hotel maybe 3 or 4. When we arrived we requested thru hotel a van because a lots of luggage . We get a smallest car you can imagine ....it was very annoying after a long flight and I have to seat with one suitcase in my laps. Front desk very helpful. But when I called hotel operator for laundry pick up ...it took 3 phone calls until It's actually happened.... A little things like this ruins your experience .

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
The Adirondacks
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

This is an older hotel with more charm than the modern steel and glass Radissons you'll see elsewhere. As others have noted, it's a bit past its prime, but doesn't have any problems that are serious enough to dissuade you from staying here. The decor is a bit dated and the metal-framed windows creek when they expand and contract throughout the day. The free wi-fi works well in the guest rooms, the king size bed was comfortable and the room has a 28-inch flat panel TV with a few English-language stations. The staff members at the front desk all speak English well and are very helpful, but the wait staff and concierge speak only Spanish. Three PCs are available in the lobby with Internet access and a printer. There's also a casino, small and low-key by Vegas or Atlantic City standards. The hotel has a large enclosed pool, so there's something to do on a rainy day. The rooms have North American (2 prong, ungrounded) outlets in the bathrooms, so you can charge your laptop or cellphone without a converter. The location is good - right near the touristy old section of town. As other reviewers have noted, though, the area isn't safe after dark, so travel in groups or take a taxi if you go out to dinner. The Baccarat Cafe is the Radisson's only restaurant and is located in the casino. The food was tasty and well-prepared, but not gourmet - about what you'd expect from a New Jersey diner. The prices are in line with most of the nearby restaurants. Including tax, the chicken cutlet & French fries entree was reasonably priced at US$13 and a bottle of wine was US$16. A 1.5 oz serving of Grand Marnier was US$14.50 and, to add insult to injury, it was served in a sherry glass instead of a brandy snifter. Service is typical for South America, which is to say it's agonizingly slow to a North American (that's not a criticism; just a reminder that you're in a different culture).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Salinas, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

It's a little older, it shows some very minor wear and tear, but the value for our suite was great! Especially with Carnival starting and on a holiday weekend. Be warned, the windows creak. It didn't bother us though, every hotel has personality. Most of the very friendly staff spoke some English. The gym has 11 late model aerobic machines, several Olympic machines in excellent working order and an indoor circular track of 100 meters. There are some free weights, just like the "real" gyms back home, aged, but your muscles can't tell. The 25 meter pool, in a greenhouse, well fabulous and uncrowded

weightsExcellentjustExcellent locker room

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, corner suite.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

You could not pick a better location and on first impression, the reception hall you do expect great things however the positives end there.
Although the rooms are large the decor is way past its sell by date and the bathroom is probably one of the oldest we have ever encountered. The shower was extremely old but the power of the water coming out was like a blast from a water cannon. My wife found the shower quite hazardous to use and ended up taking a bath in case of bruising herself !!!.
Let's end on a positive though the breakfast room was very large and on one of the top floors and had a fantastic view of the city and as for the indoor pool it was of Olympic size and hardly used.

Room Tip: Choose high a floor as possible and do not pick a room at the front of the hotel as it is quite dece...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Radisson Montevideo Victoria Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!