“Sheraton is better” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 83 Hotels in Montevideo
Minneapolis
“Sheraton is better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I usually stay at the Sheraton when I come to Montevideo for business. I work with a new company and the my new customer has an office right in the same plaza as the Radisson so the sales rep booked me there.

Kind of a weird thing - the front building is an apt complex and the back building is the hotel but the lobby shares both buildings. My room was on the 14th floor. The room was large and the bathroom was large as well. My first thought was that the room needs to be refurbished because it is old looking. The bathroom and general bedroom were clean. Carpet didn't look very clean. The bed was large and comfortable.

Here were my issues:

The heat is central and controled in the lobby. My room was way too hot and the windows where locked. I had to call someone up to unlock the window so I could have some air. That solved one problem but the wind whipping around the buidling makes this noise. My coworked had more of a problem with this noise than I did.

The only place to eat dinner in the hotel is the casino. It is just big and impersonable. I asked for a salad and the lettuce in it was wilted and old looking. I sent it back but the waitress never offered me anything else. She defended the lettuce. The staff really needs better training.

I went to the lobby to check out and several people just ignored me. Finally, this guy appeared from the back and helped me. That was after two people came from the back and walked away. They could have called to this guy to come out and help me.

When I arrived at the hotel, there were 3 hotels guys in the front and not one of them helped me with my luggage into the hotel. I don't know what they were hired for???

The breakfast is ok. In my travels in Latin America, breakfast in Uruguay/Argentina isn't as substantial or festive as in other areas in Latin America. They needed better bread and better trained staff.

This didn't feel like a Radisson Hotel. Anyway, if you want to be in the middle of Montevideo and you can get a good price, then this will work.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Turkish first
Diani Beach, Kenya
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We stayed at the Radisson the first night we were in Montevideo. The room was clean. The bathroom was outdated. It cost USD 260 per night which is way overpriced for what you get. Breakfast was OK. Not extravagant. Not worth the money. Watch out for airport transfers. It is not free. We had requested for one and they did not mention that it would cost USD 46. It should have been mentioned.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Radisson Montev... V, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Montevideo Victoria Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Diani Kenya,

We greatly appreciate your e - mail response with your feedback about the experience at Radisson Montevideo Hotel.

Thank you for choosing Radisson Montevideo Hotel, We look forward to welcome you when you decide to return to our beautiful country!

Roxana Morganti
Ph: 00 598 2902 0111
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

Have spent here quite some time during various visits to Montevideo.
For me the place to stay in Montevideo,
Well located, good meeting facilities, if any time for relaxation is there the pool and sauna are okay. Good restaurant.

• Stayed October 2012
Radisson Montev... V, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Montevideo Victoria Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate your feedback about the experience at Radisson Montevideo Hotel.

Is very flattering to all the staff at Radisson Montevideo receive your warmth and very nice comments about our hotel and our services.

We are very happy to know that you felt fully satisfied been our goal achieved 100% GUEST SATISFACTION!

We look forward to welcome you when you decide to return to our beautiful country.

On behalf of our entire staff at Radisson Montevideo thank you for choosing us!

We send you our best regards.

Roxana Morganti
00598 2 9020111
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed in the hotel for 2 nights and were impressed. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but on the inside it is classy and like stepping into history. Chandeliers everywhere, wood panelling, marble floors. We were greeted warmly at reception in English and our room on the 18th floor was spacious, clean and well decorated. The bathroom toiletries were first class and the couple of issues with our room safe and toilet were remedied promptly. The cocktails in the lobby bar are very reasonably priced and the food in the casino restaurant was very tasty and also well priced. My husband had a rib eye steak 700grams for $35 aus approx, and he said it was the best he had tasted in south America, so far. Breakfast on the 25th floor was also comprehensive. I had bacon for the first time in 2 weeks. Great views too.
He also had a massage which was good and in a clean, professional spa. We asked for late checkout, and we're given it with no hesitation or charge.
It is a shame that Montevideo has let itself go, but the area was good throughout the day and night too. Shopping prices and food prices are quite cheap though.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Radisson Montev... V, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Montevideo Victoria Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are thrilled you are enjoyed your time at the hotel.

it's a pleasure for us appreciate your exquisite language to describe us, thank you!

On behalf of our entire staff at Radisson we thank you for your business.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

I just got back from staying at this hotel for 5 days for business. I was in suite 1851 which is very large and has two rooms. The hotel is centrally located and is probably nicer than any Radisson that I have ever stayed at. The top floor buffet restaurant for breakfast is excellent with terrific views of the city and I had an exceptional and reasonably priced lunch in the casino dining room which is open for lunch and dinner. The front desk staff is very helpful, particularly Diego Vacca. The hotel has the only ice bar in Latin America. They give you a very warm ski jacket, hat and gloves before you venture into this minus 20 degree experience. We took 10 of our Latin American distributors into the bar one night and they loved the experience. When one travels the world for business, it is comforting to be treated as well as this hotel treats its guests.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

On behalf of our entire staff at Radisson Montevideo thank you for choosing us!

We send you our best regards,

Montevideo, Uruguay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Just after staying at Victória Plaza for the third time I decided to write this . The Hotel is very well located !!!
Breakfast on top floor is soberb with lots of kinds of breads, cereals etc... The rooms are very clean and big and beds are very confortable !!!
If you love music as I do this is the best place to stay. Just cross Plaza Independencia and you are at Solis Theatre where concerts , ballets and Óperas take place !!!
Staff is very helpfull and friendly. They provide me everything: pillows, drivers, tickets ...
For sure I will be back !!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Radisson Montev... V, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Montevideo Victoria Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

All opinions inspire us to continue the effort every day so that our guests will be completely satisfied with our service.

We are thrilled you are enjoyed your time at the hotel!.

On behalf of our entire staff at Radisson we thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

Montclair, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

This hotel is not the newest and not in the best surroundings at night. However, it has a great classic charm and wonderful front desk for my visit during transit in Montevideo.

Offered an upgrade and given a large room on a high floor to match my Club Carson profile. The room was decorated in wood (floors, walls, etc.) and good view of the water. The room included fridge, sink, clean bathroom, comfortable bed and adequate (but oddly placed) power outlets.

The hotel had a late night casino but didn't feel like venturing to a casino. It post an ice bar in the basement but it was closed when at 1am when I ventured down.
I didn't experience breakfast so I can't comment on the quality and type of food.

I didn't experience the fitness area but wish I did as reading it is impressive.

Front desk staff was very friendly and made me feel comfortable during my check-in. Discussed the property and all it has to offer me as a guest. This is the model of customer service which is not always apparent in Uruguay.

Internet (Free wifi) had acceptable speed.

My highlights - room, charm/classic look of hotel, and staff.
Only negative (if you want to call it that) - towels were very thin.

Would stay here again during next visit even though other newer facilities are available in better areas.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the honor of your recent visit to the Radisson Montevideo Hotel.

Our everyday efforts are aimed at achieving our guests´ full satisfaction. We appreciate your valuable comments and suggestion.

When planning your next visit to town, please keep the Radisson´s warmth in mind.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back!

Best regards,

Radisson Montevideo Hotel

Been to Radisson Montevideo Victoria Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!