“Horrible Customer Service - No working AC in my room - No working TV in entire hotel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Montevideo Hotel

You added Sheraton Montevideo Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Montevideo Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Victor Solino Street 349, Montevideo 11300, Uruguay   |
Ranked #10 of 80 Hotels in Montevideo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I just arrived at the Sheraton in Montevideo today. Got into my room. Set the thermostat at 22 degrees C and turned on the TV but the image was going in and out. I switched channels but the image was still intermittent. I called guest services and they told me that they had this problem all weekend long and it was a problem with the Direct TV antenna and sending someone to my room would not solve the problem and that they did not know when the problem would be fixed. They had this problem for four days now and they cannot get someone to fix the Direct TV system. So no TV.
I left for lunch with my steamy room at 27 degrees C and when I returned 3 hours later, the temperature was at 26 degrees since the sun was no longer hitting my window. I checked to see if cold air was coming out but it was not.
At 2100 I went down to inform the front desk that the AC was not working and I needed it fixed. By now it was night and the temperature had fallen to 24.5. So it fell in 9 hours 2.5 degrees. I was hot and thought that this could be fixed.
At 0030 I returned to my room and the temperature was at 24 degrees. Once again I called Guest Services and Andres answered the phone and I asked to be switched to another room. He informed me that only a smoking room was available and NOTHING ELSE. But they would send a person to take a look at the AC once again.
I called Andres back and asked to speak to a supervisor given the fact that I was hot all day and the system could not be fixed and all that was available was a smoking room and NOTHING ELSE. Andres informed me that there were no supervisors on duty but I was free to speak to a supervisor…just not tonight…possibly in the morning. So when I asked about the occupancy rate at the hotel that no other rooms except a smoking room was available, I was informed that there was a larger room…but I could not be placed there without the approval of the supervisor…who I was free to speak with…just not tonight and possibly tomorrow morning.
So…the person in charge of ACs came to visit me at 0045 tonight to possibly get a valve unstuck in order to make the room at a normal temperature.
Conclusion: not good service at all and when the staff can make a customer service decision, they do not. I have stayed in Sheratons 12 nights in the past 22 days and this is the reward I get as I get closer to the next level. I guess I should have stayed at the Radisson (in Montevideo), Hilton or Marriott elsewhere and take my business to them.

Room Tip: Don't have a problem at night when the supervisor is not there to take care of your guest servic...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Lia R, Gerente at Sheraton Montevideo Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
We are very sorry to learn about the problems that you had with our air conditioning and the TV.

We had some problems with our air conditioning system and our Cable (DirecTV) and we apologize for all the inconvenience that you had in your stay.

This has been discussed with our executive managers and it is already resolved the air conditioning problems and with the cable we are in discuss with DirecTV so this kind of problem do not happed again.

We are sorry your experience was not representative of our service standards.

Thank you for your time and comments. They provide us a worthy feedback to continue improving.

Maria Augusta Ferreira.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Nice hotel in Punta Carreras, close to the ramble. Very friendly staff, big rooms and a very good breakfast. The hotel is close to many good restaurants and a large shopping mall is connected to the hotel. I would stay here again when we come back MVD!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Basel, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

The hotel is situated in a good location and staff are generally friendly and accommodating. Rooms are large, although quite cold (unfortunately the AC was cooling only), and bathrooms ok, if a little sparse. Wifi in the hotel was terrible, and of course in true Sheraton style they charge for cable internet access in the room. Breakfast was ok with a reasonable choice of dishes, but lunch was very good with an excellent choice of hot and cold food.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Sao Paulo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

The hotel is in the Carretas section of Montevideo, overlooking The River (Actually a huge bay; you cannot see the Argentinian side) and directly connected (3rd floor) to a Shopping Mall - very convenient on a rainy day. You can walk to the beach in 3 minutes.
We arrived on a bright day however, but when we checked into our room (2207, river view) it seamed as if the weather had changed to overcast just during our elevator ride. Turned out that the sun was actually still shining but that the windows were VERY dirty and apparently hadn't been cleaned for quite some time. When we went upstairs to the business lounge (23rd floor) the sun "was back" meaning the windows there were clean - what a difference! I have spent hundreds of nights in hotels but hat was a first.
The food in that lounge, where we also had breakfast, was good (the bacon was excellent!) with friendly service.
The room was spacious with a love seat plus an Ottoman and an above average desk and office chair but the walls appear to be a bit thin - you hear the TV in the room next door all too well.
We wanted to have a quick lunch in the hotel restaurant and ordered just a soup and a Cesar's with bacon but it took them forever, well, almost) despite the fact that there were only 4 tables occupied (including our own). When the food finally arrived the soup and the bacon were almost cold, indicating that the kitchen had worked fast enough but that then the waiters (who were not really fluent in English) let it sit on a shelf for some time.
We gave the restaurant a second chance for dinner and the service was a bit better but not sufficiently so to make us come back (there are good restaurants in walking distance).
The hotel has a decently equipped health club with pools.We also tried the Spa and were very satisfied with the massage service - truly excellent!
The hotels offers free Internet service in the lobby (30 minutes) and WiFi throughout however, if you want to use the Internet in your room you'll have to pay (US $ 15 per day).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Nice rooms, good location and professional staff. Rooms are modern and you have direct access to a very nice mall from the lobby. Hotel has a lot of airline patrons and is well run. Drawbacks are the usual, cokes run 4 dollars, etc., The HVAC in room was a bit distracting and there was a strange smell from the bathroom drains. The gym is small but good and they have a spa menu. Overall, nice hotel and would return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Eastcote, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Once inside the Sheraton you could be in any city - it has that large hotel, big brand feel about it. That's not a criticism, but not the place to choose if you want local colour.

Room was huge and very comfortable. Excellent view of the river and surroundings. A fault in the bathroom was fixed speedily and without fuss.

Service was excellent, the reception clerk helped track down our local guide, making several calls for us. Later we had some laundry done, again all completed on time.

We ate in the restaurant - quiet but good food and excellent wine!

Breakfast was also good, lots of choice and good quality food.

Lobby bar small but friendly, again excellent service.

Free wi-fi in the lobby limited to 30 minutes a day.

The link to the shopping mall was useful, although I also liked the small hotel shop where again we got excellent service and a good deal for paying cash - in this case Euros!

Room Tip: high floors have good views.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights on the 17 floor, Clean rooms, comfty beds, though I heared shhhhhh noise and didn't know if it was the AC or running water, but no big deal. the hotel attached to mall, On the highest floor there is fittness center where u can get OK work out, also there is swimming pool ,sauna with a good view looking over the city.
few blocks down from the hotel is the Rocky beach(no swimming).
the service is nice, thou the WIFI should be free to ballance the daily charge. Also there will be slippers waiting for you.
I recommend to visit the port (grill restrant) market, its realy fun.
cu around

Room Tip: higher level better view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Sheraton Montevideo Hotel? Share your experiences!