“OK for walking through, not good for purchases” 3 of 5 stars

Type: Malls
Attraction Details
Ottawa, Canada
4 attraction reviews
“OK for walking through, not good for purchases”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My girlfriend and I were startled during our first visit here. We made the mistake of going on a Sunday evening, during a huge rush of people who do not respect basic walking rules of staying on the right. There isn't much of interest other than a clothing store called Tits (passing entertainment value) and the ice cream shop La Cigale in the food court (amazing ice cream in dozens of delicious flavors). The supermarket La Tienda Inglesa is also very convenient, but also prone to complete chaos in evenings or on Sundays. The clothing stores seem to have prices higher than North American prices. I can only recommend Manos del Uruguay, a store that has handmade local goods, mostly wool clothing and lovely leather wallets. There are banks and money exchange stations.

Avoid the food court restaurants at all costs. The La Pasiva restaurant there is by far the worst of its many locations. There was a hair in my food. The already-rude waiter only glanced at it on my fork and offered a remake of my pizza, but that does not guarantee any improvement in quality, so I refused and received no compensation nor sympathy. The other store there, some pizza shop, is dramatically overpriced and not of any special quality.

Come here to window shop in the morning or afternoon on weekdays.

Visited June 2013

London
7 attraction reviews
“Montevideo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The craft shopping is really good. I wrote a review about the city a couple of years ago saying I would return and I did last autumn - a little late in the season but it remains a fascinating city and the craft shopping of the main street - look it up in your guide book - has a restaurant on the upper floor and tango shows. The thing about craft shops is mostly they have stuff one does not need but these little shops are varied and if you leave empty handed you are of sterner stuff than I am The goods are also far more interesting than the stuff sold in our National Trust shops. It is a safe city - except for down by the port and there is no need to go there - with decent places to eat, although the best deals are at lunch time so ponder that. The Teatro Solis, if there is something on, is worth going to and a trek down to the Parliament building - check they are doing tours - is also worthwhile. There are pleasant squares to sit in, especially by the cathedral, the little museums are mostly free and worth doing - but do check before you go that they will be open. I hit a holiday weekend which was unfortunate as there is not all that much to do in Montevideo so their loss is something you would feel. Not much to do means simply that it is a town to relax in after some more strenuous sightseeing.

Visited October 2012
Ridgefield, Washington
6 attraction reviews
“Be careful and aware.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We have traveled to many cities and countries, around 45 countries. We have only had trouble and robbed in one city, Montevideo, twice.
nine years ago I was robbed of a camera in Montevideo, out of my hand. I posted it on Trip Advisor. In Feb. 2013, my husband and I were walking down Julio St and a young kid tried to rob us again. He tried to pull my husbands wallet out of his front pocket. my husband grabbed the kids shirt and pulled it off and he didn't get the wallet. both times it was teens about 16 or 17 yrs old. We have never had any trouble in any other travels, but the two times we did it was in Montevideo. You can believe we will not be traveling to Montevideo ever again. We thought we were attentive travelers, but this really opened out eyes to be even more careful.

Visited February 2013