“Poor value for money” 1 of 5 stars

Ituzaingo 1436, Montevideo 11000, Uruguay (Ciudad Vieja)   |
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Poor value for money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Based on value alone, this place is terrible. I cannot understand why this place rates highly on Tripadvisor. 720 pesos a night for an unclean, and very unhygienic bed in a dark and dingy dorm.

*I am talking from comparable experience; hence over 120 reviews.

Feedback for travellers:
The staff are friendly, but that is about it. I have stayed in hostels in the same price range that have been extremely clean, very presentable, very close to beaches, and in nicer parts of a city. They have also had laundry rooms, huge communal areas with DVDs, games, sofas, metal lockers (not wooden drawers that are falling to pieces), clean and spacious bathrooms, etc. Look elsewhere, you can do so much better for the price. Especially because this hostel is in the worst and most dangerous part of town.

Feedback for management:
This hostel needs to dramatically drop the price, or spend more money on cleaning and upgrading the place. Not all backpackers are scruffy, unhygienic and carefree. Some have standards.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

215 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Yorkshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

We booked this hostel through a popular worldwide hostel service due to its high score in previous reviews. However when we arrived we discovered that it does not live up to its reputation.

1) The beds (mattresses) were filthy. There were mattress protectors on them, but these were dirty too.
2) The pillows were not just yellow with age, but stank of stale spit, sweat and urine. When we picked them up to make the beds we discovered just how bad this was - disturbing the pillow wafted the stench straight into our faces and made us feel sick.
3) The 'lockers' under the beds were in such bad repair that I could easily have prised them open using my own teeth. They were certainly not safe places to leave our valuables.
4) The floor in the dormitory had clearly not been swept for days, possibly weeks, with piles of dust and dirt on the floor - not just 'behind the beds' or tucked away in a corner where dirt often collects, but in the main walkway.
5) The bathrooms stank of drains and were filthy.

The receptionist tried to help, and he offered various ways of resolving our problems (new pillows, use of the private bedroom at extra cost), but by this time we felt too disheartened to stay so we left, losing our night's fee.

I have stayed in over 50 different hostels, hotels or other accommodations in the last year, and in previous travelling trips, and I have never seen a place so utterly disgusting. I have never been anywhere that the smell of the pillow has made me feel physically sick, and I never intend to do so again.

The price of this hostel is comparable to other hostels in this city, so I do not accept the argument 'you get what you pay for'. You can pay the same somewhere else and expect a decent standard of hygiene and security. I will never stay in this hostel or any of the others in the same chain.

Room Tip: Pick a room in a different hostel
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Juiz de Fora, MG
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

The hostel was great! Staff is really helpfull and super nice, the rooms and bathrooms are clean, there're two big living rooms and a great terrace to hang out, talk and cook! really felt like family and recommend the El VIajero - Ciudad Vieja 100% to anyone planing to visit Montevideo! (:

Köln
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Very friendly staff, helping out wherever they could. Good atmosphere and good location at the beginning of the old town. After one week I felt like at home, because it's a small place and very familiar. I especially liked the weekly dinner for all guests and staff and cooking sessions with other guests.
My stay was enriched by the special house ghost Camila, who taught me everything about Uruguayan men ;-)

Malo, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My favorite people (who just happen to work at a hostel in Independencia Plaza) were gone! A sign on the door routed me to El Viajero on Rincon and Ituzaingo. A very helpful man walking up from the Mercado del Puerto went with me looking for the place. It's half way down the block. He warned me approximately 6 times in 5 minutes to "not walk alone in this area". Up a steep staircase to the desk and a lovely girl named Debra greeted me. Even with no reservation she was gracias and told me which mattress was the better one on the bunks! She showed me around, told me about the free breakfast, told me to pay when I checked out. Geronimo came on duty next and helped me with the balky computer. Gustavo was there in the morning, checked me out and gave me a discount! A happy camper at El Viajero.

Room Tip: You are given sheets to make your own bed. You rent a towel for 40 UYU (pesos). The 6 bunk female do...
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Very helpful staff, clean hostel, and above all great location (in the old downtown)... here are the main advantages of this friendly hostel. Free computers are also available, common rooms are nice to spend time and share with others. Definitely a place to recommend!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

A good place to stay..
You feel like family..
Good location..
I didnt enjoy the room.. and the bathroom was not clean... but wasnt a big deal!

They have a great staff, and it was very nice!

Close to Mercado del Puerto and some spots to go out by day and night!

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to El Viajero Hostel Ciudad Vieja? Share your experiences!