“Beautiful Setting, Wonderful People, Amazing Location” 5 of 5 stars

Tambo del Inka, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Ferrocaril s/n, | Cusco, Urubamba 84, Peru   |
Ranked #1 of 21 hotels in Urubamba
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Beautiful Setting, Wonderful People, Amazing Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Everything about our stay was A+.

Location: With its own train station, this is the perfect gateway to Macchu Picchu. The ride is picturesque, taking travelers through Andean farmland and villages. There is absolutely no noise from the train on-property. The property is located in Urubamba, a wonderfully authentic Peruvian village. We spent a day just touring the town, its architecture and its markets. A true slice of Peruvian life that we enjoyed very much.

Service: The staff couldn't have been more accommodating. Even before we arrived, they helped us secure last-minute tickets to Machu Picchu (after we realized our "tickets" purchased 6 months earlier were a scam). Everyone spoke English, making communication much easier for my husband and I, who speak limited Spanish. Laundry service, maid service, food and beverage service, room service...it was all top notch.

Food: The food was good. Particularly for hotel food. We ate most meals off-property, but enjoyed the variety and quality of food in the hotel bar and restaurant. With the exchange rate, prices were very good.

Rooms: As SPG Gold members, we were upgraded to a first floor room with a private terrace on the backside of the property -- very private and quiet. Our room was spacious and impeccable. Plush bathrobes and slippers, a bidet, a tiled shower and separate soaking tub, a walk-in closet, and french doors out onto our terrace...it was wonderful.

Spa: The hydrotherapy session was excellent, as was my massage. The spa is quiet, private and serene. The staff helped me design a custom package. Even if you don't get a spa treatment, you have access to the indoor/outdoor pool and locker room, which has a sauna and whirlpool.

Our stay at Tambo del Inka was certainly a highlight of our trip. From the moment you enter the gates, you feel transported to another world. Enjoying a coca leaf tea overlooking the Andes, sitting in front of the entryway fireplace and swapping travel stories, or lounging poolside watching the sun filter through the mountain trees, it's an experience not to be missed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
pmarconi, General Manager at Tambo del Inka, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Good morning,

Thank you for choosing Tambo del Inka; part of th magnificent ensemble of the Luxury Collection!

Start telling you how I feel when reading your comments is a must: DELIGHTED!

Thank you indeed for your great words and appreciation to all our staff, service, outlets and property. Definitely, being located in the middle of the Sacred Valley gives our guests an easier and faster access to other towns, communities and ruins nearby. Furthermore, our private train station lets our guest a peaceful and relaxing trip to Machu Picchu from/to the very heart of the hotel.

Happy to see that your overall experienxce in our resort was outstanding. You did enjoy the food, SPA, Bar, and others.

Hope to host you again in time.

Respectuflly,

988 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Korean first
Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights, around a day trip to Machu Picchu. Debated whether to pay the extra cost to take the train right from the station on the property and decided to go with it--so easy, we were very glad we did. The decor and amenities are stunning, the room couldn't have been more comfortable. We did eat one evening in the restaurant, my roasted duck breast with gooseberry sauce and vegetables in pisco sauce was excellent--better than I expected, and the pisco sour was the best I had all week. The place is pricey for Peru, of course, but we felt our splurge was validated in every way. My only complaint is not having free wireless in the rooms, a practice at many high-end hotels that I just don't get.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
pmarconi, General Manager at Tambo del Inka, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Good afternoon,

Thank you for your preference in Tambo del Inka; part of the magnificent ensemble of the Luxury collection!

We are all very pleased that your overall experience in our resort was simple marvelous. Thank you indeed for your excellent comments on our staff, service and property.

Please be informed that we do have free internet access in the public areas plus a business center. However, as per Starwood policy, there is a charge if requested in the rooms.

Definetely, our private train station is a plus in our service and it gives all our guests the chance to take the train just inside the property.

Look forward to hosting you all again in time.

Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We spent three nights at this amazing hotel by the river in Urubamba. Our room (the bottom of the line Superior Room) was possibly the nicest hotel room I have ever stayed in. Spacious, stylish, comfortable, with an amazing view of the Andes - it was just perfect. Note that there were no upgrades for SPG Gold - but it wasn't really necessary. The hotel and the grounds were extremely stylish, and the staff couldn't have been friendlier or more professional. The concierge (Rosana (sp?)) was particularly helpful. The food was very,very good (and the restaurant is one of the most dramatic spaces I have ever eaten in - with soaring ceilings, interesting tapestries, and killer views). The spa was very nice (but overpriced for Peru). We took advantage of the private train station from the hotel to Machu Picchu. This hotel was our first stop in Peru, and definitely spoiled us!

Room Tip: The Superior Room was simply amazing!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Good afternoon,

Thank you for choosing Tambo del Inka!

Thank you indeed for your excellent comments on our staff, service and property. Rossana is very pleased that you mentioned her and in fact, our staff is oriented into exceeding all our guests´ expectations.

You were assigned and enhanced room and I am happy that you did enjoy the view and comfort of it. Our SPA, Bar, food in the Restaurant, private train station and other outlets give our guests a deserved place to stay in.

Once again, thank you for your preference and hope to host you all again in time.

Astoria, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We had a great time at this hotel as our base for our time in the Cusco region. The staff was wonderful with our 3 young children. The rooms were very nice and comfortable. The kids loved the pool- loved the 1/2 indoor, 1/2 outdoor pool- very fun.
This hotel is very expensive but we used starwood points and thought it a good use of our points.
We loved having Urubamba as our base for the cusco region. We avoided altitude sickness- which I've had pretty bad in the past by staying at Cusco.
I was sad to see so many tourists coming and going on buses and not exploring Urubamba. I highly encourage visitors to step outside of their hotel and explore the area. The hotel is right next door from Seminario ceramics where we bought some lovely bowls for our home. (and they have a small and free petting zoo). The hotel is a short walk to the mercado in Urubamba. The mercado is open every day but Wednesdays are when more vendors arrive to the market and if you are there don't miss a visit.

Our meals for the hotel were overpriced and underwhelming. We only ate a few meals and vowed to avoid them. We had a wonderful breakfast one morning at the mercado- a chicken soup- sopa de gallina. It was great and my small children loved having soup for breakfast! Another morning my husband went out to Mercado (it was a Wednesday) and he brought so many goodies for a room breakfast feast. The largest mango we'd all ever seen (we travel a lot so we are not mango virgins), corn, bread, hard boiled quail eggs, tuna fruit, tamales, cheese,... I'm getting hungry just remembering.

We loved taking the motor taxis in and out of the hotel (2 soles). I don't think they were used to going into the hotel! The hotel can book you a taxi to where you are going but if you take a motor taxi 2 minutes to Urubamba downtown you will find taxis waiting to take you anywhere in the region. You can negotiate at half the rate the hotel will provide.

The spa was fine- but as I write this several months later, I realize fairly unremarkable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
pmarconi, General Manager at Tambo del Inka, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Good afternoon,

Thank you for your preference in Tambo del Inka; part of the magnificent ensemble of the Luxury Collection!

Really great to realize that you had a marvelous stay while in our resort.

Thank you for your honest words and appreciation to our staff, service and property itself.

You are right! Our location in the middle of the Sacred Valley gives all our guests an easier and faster access to other towns, communities and ruins nearby. Furthermore, it is a better place to adjust to altitude.

Great to know that your family and your kids had the chance to visit and live other experiences such us local food, market, tok tok, and others.

Thanks indeed for chossing us and do look forward to hosting you again in time.

Pablo Maconi
Fullerton, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Like others on here I can reiterate the Tambo del Inka is a beautiful hotel. We started our peru trip here and its lower elevation than cusco makes it better to slowly acclimate to elevation rather than heading straight for cusco first. It sits far enough away from the road & train stop that you can't hear either. The onsite train is very convenient way to get to Machu Picchu. Also its a short walk to several highly reviewed restaurants. Pro Tip: Points + Cash promotions on the starwood website makes this place very affordable for those with the Starwood Amex

I however take issue with the onsite travel agent Tikariy. All I had them do was book two days of Machu Picchu hiking passes with a guide for one of the days. And that's it. For their efforts I was hit with an almost $400 service fee. I attempted to book the entirety of my trip on my own but being in the USA, it proved impossible to book Machu Picchu hiking tickets (see my forum posts for the ridiculous things I attempted). Unfortunately their quote wasnt itemized and I didn't bother to breakdown the numbers until I returned, so that's on me. However, for future travelers, Id highly suggest contacting one of the many reputable travel agents or request an itemized breakdown.

Room Tip: River view rooms I think are better
Good morning,

Thank you for your preference in Tambo del Inka!

Happy to read your comments and realize that your overall experience in our resort was simply great.

Thank you for your magnificent appreciation to our hotel staff, service and property itself.

My colleagues at Tikariy have already been informed about your perception on their offered tours and I am sure that they will do their best in order to please all our guests.

Denitely, our private train station is a plus to our service and gives easier access and comfort on your way to Machu Picchu. In fact, Urubamba (2800masl) is the perfect place to adjust to high elevations in order to avoid ¨soroche¨ (altitude sickness)

You are right! River view rooms are highly recommended but let me suggest also mountain view rooms which face the Chicon glacier. Both of them are really spectacular.

Sure hope to host you again in time.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

What a fantastic hotel, could not find fault. Excellent location in the Sacred Valley with the option of taking the train to Machu Picchu directly from the hotel. Would recommend staying when you arrive in the Cuzco region instead of Cuzco city as its easier to adjust to altitude and then travel to Cuzco after you've visited the Sacred Valley & Machu Pichu

Lovely pool which is both indoor and outdoor, lovely jacuzzi, sauna and steam room facilities great for relaxing after a long day. Food in the restaurant was excellent on both occasions as was breakfast. Lots of options for Vegetarians.

By far the best hotel we stayed in during our 2 week trip to Peru, our only regret is that we did not stay a 3rd night.

Good afternnon,

Thank you for choosing Tambo del Inka!

It is terrific to read your comments and see that you had a great experience while in our resort.

Thank you indeed for your great words to our staff, service and property. In fact, our personnel is oriented into exceeding all of our guests´ expectations.

In fact, located in the middle of the Sacred Valley gives our guests a faster and easier access to other towns communities and ruins nearby.

Do look forward to hosting you again in time and sure hope to keep on sharing part of Tambo del Inka magic with you.

Lima, peru
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I´ve been 4 times to Valle Sagrado and have stayed in Casa Andina, Sonesta and Aranwa Hotels and Tambo del Inka is by far the best hotel.... nearly 6 stars. Beautiful hotel with great spa. River passes just in front of your room´s window,... totally renewed after Starwood bought this hotel... modern facilities, comfortable beds and big rooms.... Breakfast delicious and lots of options. Definitely will return, I love it!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
pmarconi, General Manager at Tambo del Inka, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Good afternoon,

Thank you for letting us share Tambo del Inka magic with you!

Really impressed and grateful to you for your magnificent appreciation on our resort.

Thanks as well for comparing us with other hotels nearby and for your preference of course.

In fact, our outlets and property itself was designed by architect Bernardo Fort Brescia and Studio Caparra together with local artisans were in charge of the interior decor.

Do look forward to hosting you again in time.

Pablo Marconi

Been to Tambo del Inka, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!