“Nice place (if you like shopping and haggling)” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 6 things to do in Pisaq
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: The sleepy town of Pisac comes alive every Sunday when people from the surrounding communities come together to sell and buy produce, crafts and other supplies in the town's central square.
Baltimore, Maryland
12 attraction reviews
“Nice place (if you like shopping and haggling)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

I visited on Friday morning when I guess it is a lot quieter than other days. There were a number of vendors. I was a little disappointed in the array of goods - I questioned how many of the goods were actually made by Incas or even came from Peru. However, for people who like haggling and want nicknacks from Peru - this is your place. When it got too much for me, I went to Ulrike's Cafe nearby to unwind!

Visited July 2014

North Saanich, British Columbia, Canada
63 attraction reviews
“best market in the Sacred Valley”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Pisac is home to the best market in the Sacred Valley. If you are in Cusco the trip to Pisac is well worth your time. There are hundreds of vendors and the market is much larger on Sundays than on other days as more people bring their products down from the hills. You can find a vast selection of goods but by far the largest item is textiles - carpets, blankets, weavings, etc.

Visited May 2014
Auckland, New Zealand
20 attraction reviews
“Massive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Whoa, this place is overwhelmingly huge, but lovely. We easily spent three to four hours walking around the market, and we all bought something. You can definitely bargain, but if something is beautifully handmade by a hardworking person, please don't bargain too much - they need the money more than we do! Allow yourself loads of time, and bring your camera. Lots of children walking around with baby goats and lambs, so get ready for them to ask you for a sole.

Dallas, Texas
33 attraction reviews
“Superb market & save photos with locals for Pisac!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Our guide gave us 3 good pieces of information:
Market occurs everyday
Expect to negotiate 30% off asking price
1 sole tip for photos is appropriate

After reading much (mostly good), I knew I would like this market. We went on a Tuesday, as I had heard Sun, Tues, and Thur were best. Interestingly, our Sacred Valley guide told us Sunday was the only day that was bigger. Sunday is the day locals from all over Sacred Valley come to buy and sell. As far as handicrafts go,what we saw on a Tuesday was what can be expected all the other days of the week. It was great. There were shops after shops. Imagine all the handicraft shops of Cusco conveniently located in one central place. And, I saw some things in Pisac that I didn't see in Cusco.

I had read Pisac was more expensive than Cusco. Again, our guide told us that you can usually negotiate about 30% off what they are asking. For me, things ended up being about the same price since shop owners in Cusco didn't come of 30% of what they were asking. This was my experience.

We found the locals in Pisac wonderful. If you want to take photos of/with the locals do it here! In Cusco, locals tried to get more soles from us for taking pictures of them with their baby goats. They would come up and ask for more saying we took several pictures. This happened more than once. And, we would give 3 soles-before they asked for more. In Pisac, they didn't do this. They were polite and beautiful. While we were told 1 sole was appropriate, you might just find yourself giving more since they are so grateful.

We spent about 1.5 hours here, but I could have stayed longer. My husband was ready to leave saying we'd seen similar items before. I am not so sure...

22 attraction reviews
“a world to shop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

we enjoyed shopping around crafts, stone from around mountains like peruvian tourqoise, Jasper, serpentine stone from machupichu ,you encounter local people for pictures for a tip, and enjoyed the real market