We spent three nights and got a wonderful sense of Ollantaytambo & the Sacred Valley we wouldn't have gotten elsewhere. The hotel is like a warm hug from a loving family member. For us foodie travelers, the food in the attached restaurant is nothing short of amazing, and better than any supposedly high-end food we've had in other spots.
The staff went out of their way to accommodate our requests, and offer but don't pressure add-ons. We did the "pachamanca", a lunch in their organic farm, for $35 each. Fresh lamb, cuy, and duck from their farm were cooked with local potatoes and herbs, served with fresh cut vegetables. 100% of the meal came from on-site, and was beyond compare.
We also indulged in an in-room massage for $50/hr. For both of us it was well done and very helpful to work our tired hiking muscles.
The beds are firm, but very comfortable. The window coverings keep the room extra dark, so be sure to bring an alarm clock, or it could be noon before you get up!
A path from the hotel leads directly to the open air market and the entry to the Ollantaytambo fortress ruins and avoids all the traffic and vendors on the main roads. The path also allows for views of local farm along the way.
Despite the train stop right in front, it never seems too loud or intrusive, and only adds to the charming ambiance. Leaving the hotel will be easy, as we can just climb aboard from the hotel's front door.
A perfect stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the Ollantaytambo train station, El Albergue is only one train stop away from Machu Picchu and not far from many interesting attractions. El Albergue dates back to 1925 and maintains the charm and elegance of the early 20th century while offering modern day requirements such as free high speed internet and in-room telephones. Owned by artist Wendy Weeks, this hotel has beautiful gardens, delicious food and special attention to decor. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your El Albergue Ollantaytambo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Albergue Ollantaytambo Hotel Ollantaytambo
- El Albergue Ollantaytambo Peru - Sacred Valley