“Friendly, warm, staff but beware dodgy security when leaving valuables behind reception.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Sol

You added Hotel Sol to your Saves list
Hotel Sol
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Ventiderio s/n | Main street, just below the plaza, Ollantaytambo 12345, Peru   |
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Ollantaytambo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012 via mobile

i was upgraded to Sol. I booked to stay in Iskay, but they asked if I would mind staying in Sol, because they had problems and had to close. I don't know how much more expensive it was, so I can't comment on value for money. it was comfortable and warm; I was given a heater which was very welcome. Not everywhere provides one. My room was one of the ones facing inwards to an atrium open to the sky with a pool which was dry at the time. I imagine they were having water problems. It would have been pretty if it had been full. As it was,i it looked a little derelict. On the plus side there was a resident white kitten who played in the dry pool and I could watch her from my window.

The better rooms have balconies over the rushing torrent of the river below. The same view can be had from the breakfast room and it is very dramatic.

I was happy in Sol, the staff were helpful and friendly and the ruins are almost outside the door, but that would be the same for any hotel there ; the town is small and although it is touristy it wasn't tacky - not in February anyway. it was one of my favourite places in Peru. There is a central square a few moments from the hotel with lots of cafes and a good atmosphere. the town itself is lovely to walk around and everyone says hello. The ruins are just wonderful.

My only quibble is: I always leave my valuables behind reception for safe-keeping in Peru. It is supposed to be safer than leaving them in the room. In the Sol they just put my bags behind the desk - no safe or even a back room. I wasn't too concerned, because I thought that there would always be somebody behind the desk. On the last day I left my case and my bag with all my valuables - passport, ipad etc- behind the desk. i went back to the ruins for one last goodbye and when I came back the receptionist was talking to a friend across the road. my bag was in full view on top of the desk and I was able to pick it up( and my case) and walk out. To be fair he probably was watching the door, but he wasn't near enough to stop a thief running in and out with all my things.
I'm not saying it's a reason not to choose the hotel at all, but just make sure where they put your valuables.

Overall I would say it was good, but largely because of the friendliness of the staff rather than the hotel itself which had a slightly sad air, but that might have just been because of the time of year. Book room overlooking river unless you don't like the noise of it at night.

Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel and after a long day I wanted to take a HOT shower. As the instructions said, I let the water run for a few minutes. . . the water never got hot. Even after 10 minutes, the water never got hot.
After I had take my clothes off, It would be difficult for me to complain to the staff and to change rooms. . .we also checkout really early so there was no one to tell about our experience.

Other minor details that may or may not be important to you
- no TV in the room
- Wi-fi didn't work
- at times there was no one at the front desk.
- There was also some weird mixup in the room I booked

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

This hotel is in a great location, right beside a beautiful rushing river, just over the bridge from the Ollantaytambo Incan site, surrounded by some of the town's best restaurants, and a short walk to the train station. We had a family room (2 double beds and a queen), which was spacious and very comfortable, with great beds and duvets, and a nice balcony with a view of the river. Great hot shower, simple but good breakfast. A very pleasant internal courtyard. The staff was friendly and helpful. A great, comfortable place to stay in Ollanta.

Room Tip: Stay away from the street side, as the buses are loud. The rushing river is also loud, but provides...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

The staff here is the best! Located in central Ollanta, very near the ruins and about a 10 minute walk to the train station. Near several very good restaurants.

Room Tip: Get a room on the river side, preferably the second floor, but the first floor is fine,too.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

We were moved from the Hostal Iskay to Hotel Sol by the owner, Lluc, after our disappointment with Hostal Iskay (unclean, no warm water, skylights the make it light in the room all night). We were charged the same amount for a night's room in Hotel Sol as we would have been in Iskay given our disappointing experience. We were surprised to see the room rates for Hotel Sol, as we thought the room was fine, but definitely not worth what the hotel was charging. Overall, after a trip around the main tourist destinations in Peru from Cusco, to Aguas Calientes, to Puno, to Arequipa, we'd have to say this hotel seemed not to be very good value for money. It was simply average. Further to this, after our Peru trip was complete, I was emailed by a staff person from Hotel Sol asking for payment which they said they hadn't received. I had paid in cash to a woman at the front desk with several witnesses and was disappointed they would think I would leave without paying, especially after all of the issues we had faced. It showed their level of disorganization. If you go to Hotel Sol or Iskay (I certainly do not recommend either), make sure you get a receipt after your stay as proof. I was not provided one here, which I normally get at hotels, and it meant I didn't have written proof. The staff later wrote to apologize for their internal mistake, but it was still a demonstration of the lack of organization of the business.

My review is as follows:
Location:Central, although on a noisy street but rooms all face side or back so not too bad; across from Hearts Cafe and 1 block from Plaza de Armas; 7 minute walk from PeruRail station
Public Areas: Well manicured inner courtyard, nice music played (Amelie soundtrack), average overall decor
Staff: Attentive, friendly, but not on the ball as they thought I hadn't paid for the room and ended up emailing later to ask for me to pay.
Room:Room lacked character but was large, clean. Balcony with views to Ollantaytambo ruins. Felt extremely expensive for what it was. Would not stay here again.
Noise: quiet (except river)
Breakfast: not included (should have been included in price)
Value: overly expensive. Owner really needs to improve professionality of service of staff, or make sure he is around to supervise.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Akron, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights in February, and found everything about it perfect. The staff was friendly and accommodating, and the single room was spacious, clean and comfortable. Plenty of hot water in a clean bathroom, and the room was quiet. Great location, being just minutes from either the main plaza, or the ruins of Ollantaytambo. The included breakfast consisted of eggs, bread with jam, fruit, juice and coffee / tea. And the breakfast room is quite attractive. Would stay here again, especially with it being so close to the train line to Machu Picchu.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Copenhagen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

Ollantaytambo is obviously a very touristy place and we didn't expect to get very good value for money there. We checked out a few hostels but found them too simple. Checked out this hotel and was surprised to find that the price was absolutely reasonable. It is very central and we thought the price would be higher here.
We got a very large room with 3 queen size beds and a bathroom with shower. Everything worked well (toilet, shower, drain etc.) something that you cannot expect in Peru. it was cold and they put a heater in our room.
The room had a window towards the stream and a view over the ruins. It was quiet and sleep quality was very good. Beds and linen was perfect.
The young people working there were all very service minded and smiling and liked to talk. They let us take our motorcycles through their cafe to the back yard, which we really appreciated. They didn't know so much about Machu Picchu or how to get there (train tickets etc.) which is why I don't give them an excellent on service. But they are pretty close.
The breakfast was good and served in the little cafe that's part of the hotel.
The hotel has a little hotel kitten "Blanca" that likes to visit the rooms and hang out with you. While we were here I got a stomach flu and staid in bed 2 days. Blanca stayed with me all the time and made it bearable.
We loved it here and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Sol? Share your experiences!