“Tough but so worth it.” 5 of 5 stars

Visit Inca Trail like an insider
Top Rated
$824*
and up
5-Day Salkantay Trek and Machu Picchu Tour from...
Elon
3 attraction reviews
“Tough but so worth it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Its hard. I am 47 and it took all i had to climb some of the hills but like all things that come with effort, it was worth it. The views are amazing and the people you meet is lifelong event.

Visited March 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
18 attraction reviews
“4 years later... still my favourite vacation adventure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We did the Inca Trail hike in March 2009, and to this day... it is one of our best vacations that we frequently recommend to others! We booked it 6 months in advance due to the limited number of daily permits. We travelled with Gap Adventures (now G adventures) and our group of 16 came from all over the world (Australia, US, Denmark, Canada, Sweden). We started in Cusco and arrived a day earlier in order to help with acclimatization.

The next 4 days and 3 nights were really quite exhilarating! Memories of steep climbs UP on days 1 and 2 to the peak, chewing coca leaves for energy! Then back all the way DOWN on day 3 with beautiful historic Inca ruins along the way. Our fantastic porters would carry everything to the next camp site and set everything up for us while we hiked at leisure with our amazing guides Percy & Rosie. Comfortable tented camps & yummy hot meals awaited us at the end of each day. There was a warm shower facility on day 3 - which everyone appreciated! We woke up at 3am on the last day and trekked in the rain to get to the sun gate only to find views of clouds.

After hiking the 42km trail, there's a real sense of accomplishment when finally arriving at Machu Picchu!!! Nothing compares to the feeling of being all wet & sweaty before everyone else and having time to explore without the other "clean" tourists. Don't forget to bring altitude meds, antibiotics & a flashlight...and for those planning to go during the wet season like we did... ponchos & extra layers for the peak!

This was a trip of a lifetime. Highly recommend this original trail to anyone looking for a challenging adventure!

Visited March 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“Most Amazing Experience to date”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

No other way to see Machu Picchu. The first glimpse from the sun gate.... breathless. Well worth the 4 day hike!

Scotland
“Awesome...well worth the journey”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Physically and mentally challenging but I loved the trekking and seeing the sunrise over Machu Picchu was truly amazing. Real sense of achievement getting to the top of Dead Women's Pass and actually feeling OK. The porters were lovely and couldn't do enough for you. Beware of the weight limits - the porters are only able to carry 6 kg per person. The sleeping bag and mat came to just over 3 kg, so not a lot left for kit. Most of the food was very good. The toilets are truly vile! I would do it all again - it was an amazing experience.

St Helens UK
6 attraction reviews
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Aririved in Cuzco and my suitcase had gone missing! luckily I had travelled in my walking boots and had my wetgear and a few other bits in my rucksack, the airline said I would receive an email when my luggage arrived. Our tour guide Rene' met us at the airport and transferred us to our hotel in Cuzco, later that day we met the rest of our group, the following day was left free to explore Cuzco by ourselves, in the evening we had a briefing and Rene' explained all the do's and don'ts for the Inca Trail which although I had read about was still useful.

Day one started the trek at Km82 it was a beautiful sunny day and the hiking was easy, arrived at camp and the porters had set up everything all ready for us, we then had a lovely meal and had an early night.

Day two started Dead Woman's Pass and all went well until the afternoon when it started to rain and the higher we went the colder it got, arrived at the top of Dead Woman's Pass and it was FREEZING and still raining quick photo at the top and we descended down to our camp had our evening meal lit was a little later when I started to feel a unwell.

Day three started the ascent to Runquarcay and felt dreadful I must have picked a tummy bug up as needed the toilet (not good when your hiking) and felt so nauseous I couldn't eat anything as the day went on I just felt worse had no energy and all I could manage was water with dioralyte, camped at Phuyupatamarca and I missed the views as went straight to bed, made myself get up when it was dark to see the stars which are amazing!!!

Day four felt a little better and the cook kindly did me two boiled eggs which I felt I could manage, the views here are fabulous and I perked up a little - started the descent of the Inca steps we had panoramic views of the Vilcamamba range, later we arrived at the sungate the view over Machu Picchu was incredible the sun was shining and it was just perfect, we then spent the night in a hotel and the following day went to Machu Picchu to see the sunrise, our guide Rene' then took our group on a tour of the magnificent MP Rene' was well informed about the history and any questions we had he had about MP he could answer. Later that day we returned to Cusco via train and coach.

We booked our trip through Exodus but think the company they use for the trail is Edge, I would like to add that the Guide Rene' assistant guide Carlos, cook and porters are truly amazing people they work so hard carrying 20kg packs running up and down the trail like mountian goats -they certainly earn their money and deserve every penny - thank you to all of you.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time hiking the Inca Trail despite being ill and losing my luggage, I just had to enjoy it the best I could and tried not to let it get to me too much, would I recommend it? without doubt I would do it all again tomorrow and may just do that one day:-))