“Vastly Overrated” 2 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
Top Rated
$763*
and up
5-Day Salkantay Trek and Machu Picchu Tour from...
Ranked #4 of 21 Attractions in Machu Picchu
Type: Trails, Hiking Trails, Outdoors
Denver, Colorado, United States
“Vastly Overrated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

The Inca Trail is a hard hike with nasty bathrooms, but that wouldn't bother me if it weren't for the fact that it is so insanely crowded. You're constantly being jostled by other trekkers and porters. There's so many people that they scare all the wildlife away.

On top of that not being able to control the pace of the hike makes it far less fun to do.

The Incan trail was quite beautiful at times. Still, if you're into treks than do Salktanay or Ausungate. There are just better, cheaper hikes out there.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Worthing, United Kingdom
“G adventures Amazon to the Andes tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I booked this tour for my 30th birthday, from start to finish i was amazed by the professionalism of the G adventures staff and the organisation of the company. On our arrival at lima airport we were met by our transfer and taken to a comfortable and clean hotel in the centre of Miraflores. After a short orientation meeting we were invited out for dinner with the very friendly Renzo who gave us a more informal and honest account of what we could come to expect of our trip, which we found extremely helpful. The next morning we were taken to the airport for our short flight to Cuzco with TACA airlines which work with G adventures, who were also very friendly and helpful. On arrival in Cuzco we were met by the amazing Henry our guide for the inca trail, over the next couple of days we were shown around Cuzco and the sacred valley by this very passionate and knowledgable gentleman and had an amazing time learning all about the history of his beautiful country.
The inca trail itself, I can honestly say is nothing like anything I have experienced before. although I feel that the difficulty is regularly underplayed, it is an amazing experience and a special mention needs to be added about the wonderful porters who are supermen! They complete each leg of the hike in super fast time carrying 20kg on their backs, set up camp for your arrival, cook a three course meal and still have the energy to cheer and clap you as you wearily crawl into camp at the end of the day! unfortunately I picked up a stomach bug on the trek so was unable to complete it, I was looked after incredibly by the wonderful Odi, the second guide on our tour. I was eventually able to meet up with the rest of the group at Machu Piccu which is incredible! If the hiking isn't your thing definately go via the train because it is amazing!
The second part of our trip took us to the amazon jungle, once again travelling with ease via the well organised flights etc... The tambopata eco lodge was beautiful and really rustic. our guide Jose was really knowledgable and such good fun! the trips were well organised and so interesting! and the food provided was gorgeous! I really cannot praise G adventures more for an amazing tour! and recommend this trip to anyone!

Cuzco, Cusco, Peru
9 attraction reviews
“Just fantastic!!!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

The views, and the well blended archeological sites with nature. These four days on the inca trail were unique, because we were hiking ahead of the other hikers.

Visited August 2013
“DO BOOK THE LARES TREK! :) I loved it!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I'm writing in response to the review entitled something to the effect of "Don't do the Lares Trek". And no, I did not get paid to write this. Silly. Silly. Who's to say that reviewer wasn't paid to convince people to hike the Inca Trail? Haha

The jist of this message is that I absolutely loved hiking Lares and feel as fulfilled as if I would have hiked the Inca trail (and since my group split, with half doing each trek, I can say that honestly. I can say I would have loved to enter Machu Picchu through the sun gate as you do hiking the Inca trail, but do not feel I got any less of an experience, as my journey came with other experiences the inca trail just absolutely cannot offer. I absolutely loved the lares trek!!! :)

It is not about which one is better, but that if you know what you are getting into with either trek, there should be no reason for disappointment!

Facts that made the lares trek awesome!!:
-The lares trek does have far less, if almost no, other hikers. I hiked the beginning of August 2013 with g adventures in high season and saw only one other group for about 5 minutes! Awesome! We really felt like we were the only ones in the Andes.
- the lares trek gives you the opportunity to engage with local Andean children, women, farmers ... the loving ancestors of the Ancient Incans and Quechua people. We brought bread and fruit to share with the beautiful children living in remote villages, played hide and seek and laughed with them. Seeing their way of life above 3500 m altitude in the mountains with so little gave me so much more perspective than i could have ever imagined. This was the most amazing experience and a highlight of the trek!
- before leaving bright and early (5am ish) to get the bus to Machu Picchu, you eat to spend the night in the hotel and arrive in Machu Picchu to see the sun rise an having had a good sleep and shower the night before - this is not the case with Inca Trail and means you miss the sunrise and as many of my travel mates who did Inca not lares found out, you are very tired and do not enjoy exploring Machu Picchu as much or for as long.
- You get to ascend to a higher elevation than inca Trail, so that's a plus for the bragging rights. ;)
- you can visit local homes, meet farmers, see locals herd their alpacas and llamas and get a much better sense of the Incan culture from the past and how people are living today.
- peaceful, tranquil, quiet, non-commercial, less rules and regulations (re: packing weight, washrooms etc.)

Facts that may lead you to choose the Inca Trail:
-The lares trek does not have to do with the inca trail.
-The lares trek is given as the second option if permits for the inca trail are sold out.
-You do not hike to Machu Picchu and do not enter through the sun gate.
- Lares trek is colder because the altitude is much higher!!
- lares trek does not see ancient Incan ruins (but most tours, like G adventures, take to you see other ruins anyways!)

Yorkshire
64 attraction reviews
“Short trail was just what I wanted”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

The short trail gave me the taster that I wanted without having to sleep out in the cold for 3 nights! The distance is not an issue but we did it on a very hot and humid day which made it quite hard. It was fantastic as we were the only ones on the trail and when we go to Winay Wayna where we stopped for lunch, we were the only ones there! When we got to the Sun Gate we really felt elated, we'd done the trail and felt like we had earned the first view of Machu Picchu which was amazing. I would highly recommend the short trail.