“Absolutely Amazing” 5 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
Top Rated
$763*
and up
5-Day Salkantay Trek and Machu Picchu Tour from...
Ranked #4 of 21 Attractions in Machu Picchu
Type: Trails, Hiking Trails, Outdoors
West Midlands
8 attraction reviews
“Absolutely Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I deffinately recommend the Inca Trail. We did it as part of a G adventures tour. The food was amazing, three courses! The tent and rented sleeping bag and poles were practically brand new.
The guide was lovely and very informative. We did our tour in January and the weather wasn't that bad, a bit of rain but warm as the trek is hard work. I would suggest you do it in three days (we did) as it is a nice pace.
Book well in advance, not bother with expensive trekking boots (I did it in well worn running shoes), a waterproof/wind proof coat is a must! Hire at least one walking pole as the descending is quite steep and you really do need a pole.
The toilets are a bit grim, and there aren't any showers but that's all part of the fun :D !!
Absolutely breathtaking :)

• Chinese (Traditional) first
london
4 attraction reviews
“unforgettable experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

If you have a bit more time and happy to spend 3 nights in a tent without access to toilet or running water that is definatelly thing you should do. You need to book this trek at least 2months in advance as they have daily limit of the people entering Inca Trail. You need to bring warm clothes for cold nights and waterproof jackets for rainy days. We were there in June and everyday we had different weather:) I will never forget how satisfied and happy I was when finally on day four we entered the Sun Gate. The breathtaking view was definatelly worth all inconvenience during this trek. Truly recommend to everyone.

Visited June 2012
Johannesburg, South Africa
“G Adventures made my trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I used G Adventures for the Inca Trail and it was the best decision ever. I'm neither a camper nor a hiker so the trip was quite daunting at first. The organisation and the passion of the tour leaders put me at ease immediately. What truly amazed me besides the absolute beauty on the trail were the delicious meals that were served 3 times a day - how the chef pulled it off is a mystery but greatly appreciated after a long day. Thank you G Adventures is was truly a memorable experience.

Hong Kong, China
230 attraction reviews
“Possibly the best way to see Machu Picchu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

If time and budget permits, I would recommend for anyone wishing to visit Machu Picchu to do it via the Inca Trail. Four days of sheer hiking alongside steep cliff faces, spectacular scenery and numerous Incan ruins await you. On day four, as you enter the Sun Gate, you will get your first glimpse of the majestic Machu Picchu - after four days of hiking in the cold, this is possibly one of the best rewards any hiker can get. The Inca Trail is as much a physical challenge as it is a mental exercise, allowing you to discover parts of yourself you never knew existed.

The Inca Trail is not for the faint-hearted though. Expect steep hikes, long days of walking up slippery rocks and cold nights of camping out in the open. You do need to have a certain level of fitness and endurance. I'm not the strongest of hikers and was last in reaching camp everyday (but still in time for dinner!).

Tips:
- Train with endurance exercises at least a month before embarking on the trail and go on a high-carb diet a week before (advice from my personal trainer/dietician)
- Give yourself a least 3-4 days prior to the trail in a high-altitude city (I.e. Cusco, Puno or La Paz) to acclimatize to the thin air and get over any altitude sickness you may have
- Avoid the wet season as it'll rain 80% of the time, making it a pain to hike. Unfortunate hikers may also miss out on seeing Machu Picchu from the Sun Gate due to heavy cloud cover
- Please also go with a reputable hiking company as some companies cut corners by mistreating their porters, compromising food quality and renting out lower-quality tents and sleeping bags

Seattle, Washington
“When traveling in Peru, Adios Adventures is a must!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I was lucky to find Adios Adventures while researching a quick trip to Peru and Bolivia. We only had 9 days and wanted to see as much as we could. From the beginning, Jacquie was quick to respond to every question and open to working with us to build our ideal itinerary. We hiked with Roberto on the 2 day/1night hike to Machu Picchu which was a wonderful experience and traveled to Lake Titicaca and into Bolivia with Hubert. Both of our guides were lovely people and extremely knowledgeable. We are very happy with the entire experience working with this group and would recommend them to all who are planning a trip to Peru. We will be back and hope to work with them again!