“Uncover Latin America - Inca Trail Trek and other Peru attractions” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Machu Picchu

$304*
and up
Machu Picchu Day Trip from Cusco
Ranked #1 of 21 Attractions in Machu Picchu
Type: Ancient Ruins, Historic Sites, Mysterious Sites, Mountains, Landmarks/ Points of Interest, Cultural
Phoenix, Arizona
“Uncover Latin America - Inca Trail Trek and other Peru attractions”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

My friend and I just returned from a 2 week trip to Peru, which involved a tour of Lake Titicaca, an overnight homestay on Amantani Island, tours of the Sacred Valley, Puno, Cusco and Lima ending with a 4 day Inca Trail trek to Machu Picchu. All was handled by Chris at Uncover Latin America. We were most impressed with the superb organization of the trip. There was a message at our hotel each evening about the next day's itinerary and what time we would be picked up. We were met before each excursion (even if it was just a transfer to the airport) by a driver and guide. Uncover booked flights for us inside Peru and the guide escorted us through check-in and to the security entrance at each airport to ensure we were exactly where we needed to be. Nothing was left to chance. We were in contact with Chris often throughout our trip and he answered every request quickly and professionally. He even took us to lunch in Lima before our flight back home. As two women traveling alone, we felt extremely safe and well cared for the entire time. Uncover also provides travel services in Argentina and Brazil and I plan to use them for our first trip to Argentina next year.

Machu Picchu is truly an experience and was the highlight of the trip. While the weather on the trek was rainy, we still felt a great sense of accomplishment at completing the trail. The porters were heroic and we loved our guide "Jimmy". It was much harder physically than we expected but worth every step! The best months to go are apparently April and May, as the dry season has started but the weather isn't too cold. We were unable to see MP from the Sun Gate as it was clouded over, so next time would go a little later in hopes of getting a clear day to see that magnificent site.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Carmichael, California
15 attraction reviews
“It is worth the time and the money to get here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I loved Machu Picchu....it is just like the all the photos that I have been admiring for years and years. It was not as difficult as I thought it was going to be....pleasantly surprised.

Svelvik, Norway
8 attraction reviews
“Yes!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

A nice experience of a lifetime. To see what people could to do 500 years ago. WoW!! I had my own guide for three hours, walking around. Magnificent!

Visited July 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Do not pass up on this trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I am 45 years old and I have waited for a while to take this trip. I had to time this trip just right. I needed my children to be self sufficient and old enough to appreciate MP, but I didn't want to be so old that I would struggle. I did very good! My children loved it and I was able to keep up with them, this is a very challenging trip! Not for the weak. Lol. We backpacked and The altitude on some mountains throughout Peru was quite challenging and breathtaking! If you are able to, take this trip when you are young.

We arrived at the top by bus at 0900ish, the day started out perfect, very sunny, not too cold. The buses of tourist just pour in one after the other. We went in passed the entrance and immediately the view just leaves you breathless. I'm terrified of heights but here, I was able to forget about my fears, I was taken away by the beauty of it all.

Take some ponchos!! We spent about 3 hours there before it quickly became overcast, and right before our eyes, there was an eerie dark mist that moved in, the llamas almost seemed to sense it and immediately ran for shelter ( not too much of it up there), it poured for about 45 min, we had ponchos which helped somewhat but we did get wet anyway. We waited a bit, in the meantime, the crowds disappeared, most people headed back down to the town. Lines for busses were long, travelers were anxious to get on busses and became very frustrated, small riots, fights broke out because people were cutting in or forming other lines. After a while it stopped raining and we were able to go sightseeing again without the crowds. We spent about 8 hrs there and covered pretty much everything!

The restaurant there was full and we were not able to get in without an advanced reservation. We ate sandwiches from the small concession stand near the entrance, I thought it was a bit pricey but the food was a lot better quality than our USA fast food. For 4 sandwiches, 2 juices, 2 hot chocolates, we spent a bit over $50 usd.

Random misc. notes:

i didn't climb huayna picchu, so I can't comment
Restrooms - only ones I remember are by entrance, below concession stand, long lines for ladies.
Don't remember seeing any kids there at all.
Wear comfortable appropriate shoes - don't wear flip flops too slippery
Bring ponchos
Not too many places to sit, u sit mostly on floor, rocks.
No shelter from elements.

Visited May 2012
Los Angeles, California
7 attraction reviews
“Uncover Latin America Class Act”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Machu Picchu is the most amazing man made structure I have ever seen, done in such great harmony with its surrounds. Just extraordinary, and only around %30 has been excavated according to our guide Juan Carlos who was excellent. I was referred to Uncover Latin America through my cousin, and we had our trip organized with them. Ben the Australian who organized our trip was very easy to deal with and offered us some honest advice, and put us in some good hotels. Picks ups were always on time, great tours, and very professional guides. The El Mapi Hotel in Aguas Calientes is a good choice. We stayed there the night before heading up to Machu Picchu. I recommend going up top to the ruins at sunrise. To do this you will need to spend an evening in Aguas Calientes before hand. We took the Vistadome train to Aguas Calientes from Cusco, it was not much extra, and the good thing is this train has a glass roof which is good for taking in the views. Tried Guinea Pig in Cusco, was not impressed. If you can try and have at least 2 free days in Cusco before doing anything just to relax and acclimatize to the altitude, you can notice the change. Drink plenty of water the first day you arrive, lots of rest and coco tea.

Spent 13 days in Peru, check out the jungle if you get a chance, Puerto Maldonado where we stayed is a quick 45 minute flight from Cusco and you are in the heart of the Amazon. Here we stayed at an all inclusive lodge.

Wish we had more time in Peru. Would like to visit Colca Canyon next time, I heard that place is worth checking out. Met some great people along the way, not looking forward to going to work next week.