“Excellent Hike - difficult but worth it!” 5 of 5 stars

Machu Picchu Day Trip from Cusco
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
9 attraction reviews
“Excellent Hike - difficult but worth it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

We took a tour with Roberto (a guide you can book through the Sumaq Hotel) and went in the first wave (7am). It was hard, but he kept us motivated and we made it without incident. Throughout the trek he would let us know how far we had come and make sure we were taking our water breaks. You saw a lot of people struggling through but we did just fine.

The hike itself was pretty intense. We had a mix of fitness levels but the altitude hit us all hard and made it difficult for even the avid exerciser in the group. There were a few scary parts but nothing where I felt like we were risking our lives. I could see how it would be difficult and slippery if it were rainy though. Thankfully we had a dry day and went in the morning to avoid the sun. Highly recommend the early start as it was hot and humid already so having the sun beat down on us too would have been pretty miserable.

When you get to the top you have to be patient to get a non-cloudy glimpse of Machu Picchu. To be honest, the views from the guard house are more picturesque but I would still recommend the hike for the sense of accomplishment and the views of the surrounding area. The adventure itself - and the pictures of my friends climbing through that tiny cave and on the death stairs were truly worth it!

Visited November 2013

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Tucson, Arizona
11 attraction reviews
“An absolute MUST!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

If you are spending a 2nd day at Machu Picchu, Huayna Picchu is an amazing choice. They always sell out of tickets as they only offer 200 passes at 7am and 200 passes at 10am. If you are adventurous & in decent shape, get the 7am pass and hike to the top of Huayna and enjoy the INCREDIBLE views of Machu Picchu below. It's an all uphill hike but if you are in decent shape, it will take you approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes max & its absolutely worth it. If you reach the top by 11am, the guards will allow you to go down the other side to the Grand Cavern and Temple of the Moon which are very sacred, special places that very few people venture too. If you go this route, it is about 30 minutes of downhill hiking to reach these sites and then note that when you leave the Temple of the Moon to come back to the main Huayna Picchu gate, it is again another 45 minutes -1 hour of UPhill. In my opininon it is completely worth the journey but not recommended with anyone with an injury or not in decent shape. ENJOY!

Visited December 2013
Denver, Colorado
49 attraction reviews
“Difficult and frightening hike but well worth it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

IF you want to truly feel like you are on top of the world this is the hike for you. Not for young children. Amazing views and a feeling of accomplishment when you get to the top. Must be in shape to do this hike and not afraid of heights

Visited September 2013
Davie, Florida
11 attraction reviews
“Difficult hike, worth the next day soreness”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

If you are physically able to hike the trail up to Wayna Picchu, I highly recommend that you do. The views are out of this world. My husband (has issues with heights) decided to stay away from many of the ledges. It was technical- and I wouldn't bring little kids that way. They're probably not allowed though. The views were breathtaking. We visited Peru in March, even though Lonely Planet stated that the trail to Waynu Picchu was open at two separate times and only a certain number of ppl were allowed daily. We did not have any difficulty going in the afternoon.

Visited February 2013
Palo Alto, California
5 attraction reviews
“You can do it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

This was my great challenge for my trip to Peru. Not because of the hiking challenge, since I am a runner and in very good shape, but because I really do have a big fear of heights. I am happy to report that not only was the hike beautiful and moving, but truly I was never afraid except for at the very top, and that was just for a moment. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I hope that no one will be
discouraged from doing it for fear of heights, because it really is worthwhile. Somehow making the climb and looking out over Macchu Picchu and the mountains makes you feel more like you have become one with the landscape; hard to explain.