“Take It From Me - I Have Hiked HP Many Times” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Huayna Picchu (Wayna Picchu)

Huayna Picchu (Wayna Picchu)
Calle Plateros 314, Machu Picchu 051, Peru
Ranked #2 of 21 Attractions in Machu Picchu
Type: Mountains, Lookouts, Outdoors
Great Barrington, Massachusetts
3 attraction reviews
“Take It From Me - I Have Hiked HP Many Times”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

A trip to MP is incomplete without a hike up to Huaynu Picchu. I prefer to go in the early morning when the fog is lifting from the valley. Oftentimes we have seen parrots and other wildlife early in the morning. As you can see by my photos, the hike is not for those who are afraid of heights or out of shape. By the way, there are also other hikes in the area. Look at my website regarding the special tours that I run to Peru and Machu Picchu.

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
7 attraction reviews
“Adventure & Views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

This added some adventure and spice to our visit of Machu Picchu. We went up on the group at 10am. We booked Huayna Picchu in advance with Uncover Latin America. You need to book this at least a month in advance. The trek was steep, not for the faint hearted! People do race up here so dont lose your cool. The views from the top with that special someone is something I will remember for a lifetime!

Visited March 2013
Lincoln, NE
7 attraction reviews
“What a hike!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

The hike to the top of Huayna Picchu will be one of the greatest achievements of my outdoor adventures!

Sydney, Australia
18 attraction reviews
“A challenge conquered”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

This was the most physically challenging and rewarding thing I have done so far!

Of the 200 allowed to climb each day, I was number 138 and at 47 I was also the 3rd oldest (50 and 53 bested me)   * I would not recommend for the overweight or unfit.

A reasonable (medium high) fitness level is a must - Even people 1/2 my age were struggling. There are steep ascents / decents, sheer cliffs and it could be very dangerous if you don't give this environment the respect it deserves.   I'm 6 ft 3 and 95Kg - The Inka were a small race so there are passages where I literally had to get on my hands and knees-   There is a small cave that is especially challenging for someone of my size and above - it is a mere 200 meters from the top so get through it and you're done!

I can't recommend this adventure highly enough. EXTREMELY rewarding.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 attraction reviews
“Worth the Time and Energy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

An amazing climb and worth every drop of sweat!! The views at the top are unbelievable!! My husband and I and our three children(teens) hiked up the mountain. It was an adventure and not easy but worth it. The view at the top looking down on Machu Picchu is not to be missed.