It was no question for me to stay at the MP Sanctuary Lodge as going to MP was a trip of a life-time for me. We arrived in the afternoon via the Inca Trail and it was such a pleasure being greeted in luxurious style after an arduous hike.
We had booked our rooms in August, 2008 and several weeks prior to our arrival discovered that a lower promotional rate was being offered during our stay. Reservations quickly adjusted our rate to the lower promo rate with no problems. Our rate included all meals & beverages, a 1/2 hour massage and an aromatherapy foot bath in our rooms.
This is a luxury hotel and all linens and bathroom amenities reflect it. Each room does have its own hair dryer and fantastic shampoo, lotion, etc are included. I had requested room service at 5am to prepare myself to get out to MP's entrance by 5:30am. It arrived quite plentiful and good quality. It was wonderful being able to go out to MP for the dawn, then return for another breakfast at 9am then to check out. There is no problems with luggage storage while you enjoy MP during the day.
The meals, dinner, breakfast and lunch were wonderful and you have a great menu to chose from. Plenty of beverages were available as well.
I did take advantage of the day room and the shower provided. I only wished that all of those wonderful bath items - shampoo, etc was fully available. There is a hair dryer in there though. Plenty of water to drink is available for you here. There are some lovely lawn chairs to sit in the garden, but not enough to accommodate all the guests desiring to lounge around there.
The main negatives for us were first the early check out and secondly, the front desk was quite put out that we did not have our white paper from Peru immigration with our passport. Something about taxes that we would have had to pay. After much hassle, they agreed not to charge us the tax with the assumption that we would fax them a copy of this paper. No one tells you to carry and keep this paper until you leave Peru, so be aware.
There is no doubt that staying at the MP Sanctuary Lodge is a luxury and makes visiting MP easier as you can avoid the buses from Aguas Calientes.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Belmond Sanctuary Lodge is the only hotel located adjacent to the ancient Inca citadel of Machu Picchu. It offers its guests exceptionally easy access from early morning to late afternoon, when most of the day visitors and buses have left. Sit out on a terrace and savour Peruvian cuisine based on produce grown on the Lodge's own plot: this delightful hideaway is the perfect place to relax and unwind in the shadow of the Lost City. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Belmond, Hotel.de, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Tingo and Jetsetter so you can book your Belmond Sanctuary Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Machu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge By Orient-Express Hotel Machu Picchu
- Machu Picchu Sanctuary Hotel
- Sanctuary Lodge Machu Picchu