The lodge is perfectly nice -- small, comfortable rooms, good food, accomodating service. But the cost is outrageously high. Still, if you can afford it, this is the only rational choice if you're staying at Machu Picchu overnight. After arriving around lunchtime, we went out to explore the ruins for a few hours. When we were done for the day, we simply walked out of the gate and into the lodge for a shower and a rest before dinner, avoiding a 25 minute bus ride down to Aguas Calientes and a trudge to a hotel. And the next morning we walked a few steps to the ruins a little after 6am, when few people were there, spent a couple of hours walking around watching the fog lift, then went back to the lodge for breakfast. After resting up for an hour or two, we went back for another couple of hours of exploration, returning for lunch. This civilized schedule is something that would be impossible if we'd stayed anywhere else. As we said, the cost is outrageous, but if you can handle it on your one and only trip to Machu Picchu, this is the way to go.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Belmond Sanctuary Lodge is the only hotel located adjacent to the ancient Inca citadel of Machu Picchu. It offers its guests exceptionally easy access from early morning to late afternoon, when most of the day visitors and buses have left. Sit out on a terrace and savour Peruvian cuisine based on produce grown on the Lodge's own plot: this delightful hideaway is the perfect place to relax and unwind in the shadow of the Lost City. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Belmond, Despegar.com, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Belmond Sanctuary Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Machu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge By Orient-Express Hotel Machu Picchu
- Machu Picchu Sanctuary Hotel
- Sanctuary Lodge Machu Picchu