“Not bad considering the lack of competition” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 14 Restaurants in Machu Picchu
Cuisines: Peruvian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Tinkuy Buffet Restaurant offers a daily lunch buffet which is open to the guests of the Lodge and visitors to Machu Picchu. The restaurant, with a capacity of 200, offers pleasant surroundings to relax in and enjoy a delightful lunch. The lunch buffet offers a wide variety of Internatinal and Peruvian dishes, a selection of salads, main courses and desserts. The soft drinks and hot drinks are included in the price.
New York City, New York
“Not bad considering the lack of competition”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We opted for an upgraded Machu Picchu package that included this buffet lunch at Sanctuary Lodge, located just a few steps from the MP entrance, and boy am I glad we did.

Not sure what others were expecting, but considering it's the only (I think?) viable sit down lunch option without having to suffer through an insanely long bus line and go back down the mountain, they could've offered a lot less value. Instead, I found the buffet to be well-stocked til the end (we came late and didn't leave until almost 3pm) with a wide variety of meat and veggie dishes, as well as desserts, and even a carving station. There should be something there for everyone to enjoy (no not Michelin quality, but solid nonetheless).

I do wish however that they had a bigger bathroom - two stalls in the women's restroom is WAY insufficient for the number of people at the restaurant at lunchtime. Otherwise, the only downside was my eating way too much and barely making it back up MP ...

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
“Don't go unless you're rich or desperate”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My friend and I were desperate. It was starting to rain and I was starving. The snack bar didn't look inviting, so we forked over $40 each for the buffet. We went back a couple of times to try and make it worth it.

The food was so-so. So, highway robbery.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Miami, Florida
“Good selection of food...but worth to pre pay before you go!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

The difference is if you prepay it is $25 instead of $40 if you pay there. For the $40 is not worth it.

Visited May 2013
Great Barrington, Massachusetts
“You've Got To Be Kidding Me”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Forty bucks, that's right, forty bucks for a less-than-average buffet. After fighting for a table of 3, we waited about 10 minutes for someone to clear the table off - then we did it ourselves. We hunted down place settings for our table from surrounding tables. All I wanted was a cold drink - but there were no drinking glasses available - all gone. I spent my lunch drinking my soft drink from coffee cups. The food was nothing to write home about, typical salads, a pork carving station (if you could ever find the guy to slice some).

Although it is located just outside the entrance gate to MP, the view is not scenic.

Of the 16 of us that ate there that day, 3 of us spent the night sleeping on the toilet, if you know what I mean.

Not a positive experience, and underwhelming value, and I don't recommend it.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Sydney
“No competition”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

The only good point is the location which is right at the entrance to Machu Picchu, especially when one is hungry after treking up all morning.

Choices were more on salad, limited hot food and low on desert varieties. Soft drinks and water were included, as well as coffee and tea. But seatings were most cramped, all long tables with chairs back to back. A bit hard to get out to refill.

Visited April 2013