“Uneven” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York
“Uneven”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We really really wanted to love this place. Firstly, things didn't start off that well. We had booked an airport transfer with Lilian, the daughter of the artist and who generally runs the place, especially since we were arriving late at night. I had emailed the day before to confirm. Imagine our surprise when we arrived and there was no car booked. When we called the hotel number, while still at the airport, a guy answered and said Lilian was not around and that we would just have to take a taxi. No biggie. But then when we ran into Lilian at Second Home upon our arrival (about 11 pm), no explanation or for that matter, apology- nothing. We stayed a total of four nights and it was not until she discovered during our stay that I was a journalist (on vacation and not working, I might add) that she suddenly -gee whiz!-- she took an interest in how our stay was going. For an upside, the room we stayed in (Sirena) was amazing. Bigger than most NYC apartments and with a view of the Pacific. Wifi worked decently. Location of the place was perfect in Barranco. It's definitely not like a hotel, and has many gorgeous and intriguing personal touches added by Senor Victor Delfin, who was lovely and fascinating.

The downside is that our room was barely cleaned. Upon arrival there was a cockroach who the front desk guy stamped out, while apologizing and blushing. A day later, another dead cockroach turned up. Again, no biggie. But then it remained there in plain sight in the middle of the dining area and was not removed by the "daily cleaning service" throughout our entire stay. In retrospect, because the grounds and room was so special, we would have stayed here a night or two, but by night four we were more than ready to leave.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
secondhomeperu, Owner at Second Home Peru, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
To whom it concerns,
This person made her reservation 12 nights before Christmas day, i did not have any other room at the time, The guest insisted to be with us. I offered an apartment inside our house and she agreed with the deal. Before i offered i explained to my guest the good and the bad of this place. The apartment is pretty rustic and close to the Barranco cliff. About the taxi service, we all did our job. Lima was in one of the worst moment of traffic, anybody that had been in Lima knows that you have to be prepared about that. The taxi service did not arrived because of traffic, and the receptionist told our guest to take taxi green that comes from the airport- best solution at the moment of the day - 45 minutes later they arrived safely and fine and they looked happy. The receptionist called me and told me the problem was fixed. Just when i was reading their email I bumped in the lobby with the couple. It was 11:00 p.m and i apologized to them. However they told the receptionist: "As long as they were safe in the house, everything was great" . 1 day later I noticed in my chat that she worked from a newspaper ..i enjoyed reading her article and i send her an email to congratulated her and she was very pleased to heard from me. So, that was all, a chatting with her to introduce me as a host until i comeback from our holidays. The next day we had a great conversation on breakfast time, i stayed in the house all day long and i never saw them again. Secondhomeperu attracts many people from the art world so i am so used to see interesting people of all background, so it was not because my guest was a journalist that i decided finally to talked to her. I am the host so i have to make sure everybody is content here in the house.

We are very proud of our clean rooms and how we keep our accommodations in a perfect state since we want to be one of the best places in Peru. Sorry about the insects..in a apartment that is close to the cliff and the woods you are prompt to see insect that will come once in awhile if we fumigated. However we are fumigating our house every 6 month and we are following the health department rules and issues. SecondHomePeru is a unique place where the art, and the relaxation meet together. Thank you for telling our mistakes and errors and encourage us to improve in the future.
Kindly regards and Happy Holidays.
Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Small I believe there are only 5-6 rooms. We had one in the back of the building and came in at night from the airport and it was dark and cold, so my first impression was not great. The next day looking around the grounds it is a very pretty place and the location is great. Right on the ocean in Lima and in a quiet neighborhood. If you like B&B's you will enjoy this place. If you are looking for something with more variety i.e. walking distance to nearby places, this might not be your location. I typically dont like chain hotels so I choose this place. The chain hotels were in the heart of Lima also mostly on the coast. Interesting property but it was dark and cold at night. Lights were all out by 10pm so if a quiet get away is your thing this is a good place for that. I was there with a friend so we wanted more activity. There is no bar or restaurant so no place to hang out there in the evenings. Beds were hard as a rock so also if you prefer softer beds look elsewhere. Nice grounds and location so that was the benefits.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Second Home Peru is not for everyone ... if you need the fitness centre, room service and other amenities of a larger hotel, stay elsewhere. However, if you like the idea of a one-of-kind B&B/small hotel - architecturally interesting rooms (all different), among the best oceanside views available in Lima, a secluded estate property in a quiet neighbourhood away from the bustle of Miraflores (just a $5 cab ride away), a surreal amount of remarkable art and sculpture created by the insanely talented Victor Delfin (worth the price of admission alone), friendly caring service offered by Lilian and her staff - then you are in for a treat. (And even if you need those hotel amenities -- give them up for a few days and stay at Second Home anyway!)

Room Tip: I suspect all the Second Home rooms are terrific but ours was unusually special ... the first room i...
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

We stayed four nights at Second Home Peru - two at the start of our trip and two at the end. Not enough. What a fabulous place! The first day we were there, we knew that because we didn't have a lot of time in Lima, we really should go out and sightsee, but I kept saying, "but we haven't seen everything here at the hotel yet!" Between the turn-of-the-last-century home, lovely grounds, ocean views, a variety of birds, and Victor Delfin's remarkable original sculptures, paintings and mixed media placed throughout, there is more than enough to occupy at least half a day.

Oh, and then there are the accommodations. When my husband, having arrived earlier in the day, met me at the airport, he told me the hotel was the nicest he had ever stayed in. Upon arriving, I had to agree. That was, I believe, the Mirador 2 room (the center one of the three new units carved into the cliff below the main house). Very high ceilings, the entire front of the room glass for unimpeded ocean views, a private balcony, and an overall feeling of exceptional stylishness. When we eagerly returned a couple of weeks later, we discovered that we'd been wrong - in fact there WAS a better hotel room, and now we were in it. I believe this room was Mirador 3 - the northernmost of the three modern rooms. This room was similar to the last except larger, with a bigger balcony, more windows, and a hammock. It also seemed a bit quieter - there are some clubs nearby that keep going very late on Fridays and Saturdays. But either room is fine as long as you have earplugs. Beds were very comfortable in both rooms.  Additionally, the staff was helpful, particularly the women who work in the morning. Breakfasts include fruit, bread, eggs cooked to order, and quinoa. We enjoyed chatting with Lilian Delfin, and we felt privileged that she made time to show us her father's studio and introduce us to him. The Barranco neighborhood where the lodging is located is lovely, a mix of expensive-looking modern construction, refurbished handsome old fine homes like the Second Home, and in between the two, crumbling abandoned yet romantic old mansions that one fears/knows will soon be making way for more of those sleek new buildings. Singing birds, lush flowers and crashing ocean waves finish the setting. Unless you prefer a typical/standard hotel, I recommend the memorable Second Home Peru 100 percent.

• Stayed December 2012
Portland. Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

WE were so surprised when we entered the gate to Second Home to see a lovely, stately house in the midst of a sculpture garden! The architecture and the art in this small hotel is really something to experience. Our room had a drop dead view of the ocean, was tastefuly frunished, and the bathroom modern. the breakfast was in an eat-in kitchen with a large hearth. Helpful staff. Nice walk in the neighborhood, a few blocks to the main square and cathedral of the district, and a few blocks to a great store of handicrafts and modern design home accessories, Dedalo. The reason I am giving it 4 stars instead of 5 is that, unfortunately, there is a disco about 1/2 mile away; we were there on a Saturday night and I ended up putting ear plugs in my ears; I am a light sleeper; my husband slept like a baby. We were in the annex with the gorgeous view of the ocean ( and we did hear hear waves mixed in with the dico music); I believe that if you are in the main house you would not get the same level of noise, and that is where we would stay if we were going to Lima again.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room in the main building although the rooms in the annex are charming and have a...
Austin, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We only stayed here for two nights, but I wish I had stayed a lot longer. The house and grounds are absolutely beautiful - right on a cliff overlooking the beach, gorgeous furnishings, very unique and tranquil. We had the pleasure of meeting Victor Delfin and touring his art studio while we were there. His studio is right on the property, so do not miss this if you have the opportunity. His sculptures and paintings are also scattered around the property and really add something special to the experience. You are literally staying in an amazing art gallery when you stay in this B&B. The location is on a quiet street, but within walking distance of everything in Barranco. We enjoyed chatting with Lilian Delfin at breakfast, and the breakfasts were some of the best I had on my entire trip to Peru! This place is truly a gem, I feel so lucky to have found it!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Fayetteville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

My friend and I stayed here our last 2 nights in Peru. It felt like a luxurious treat after a week of trekking and traveling. Lilian, the owner, was so nice and accommodating. We arrived a couple hours earlier and she made us eggs, served us coffee, and chatted with us about where we went during our vacation as we waited for our room to be prepared. She's a great conversationalist as well, and has many interesting stories to tell you. The house is absolutely gorgeous, and the view is even better. The room we had was perched on the edge of the land, over-looking the Pacific ocean. The windows were from floor to ceiling, and there was a small balcony. We walked to Miraflores for dinner and drinks, and the taxi back was cheap. Late night attendants were so nice and arranged for a taxi to the airport when we left. Comfortable, peaceful, inviting, everything you want your Second Home to be!

Room Tip: Just ask for a room over-looking the ocean!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Second Home Peru? Share your experiences!