“Good no frills option” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #88 of 239 Specialty Lodging in Lima
London, United Kingdom
“Good no frills option”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the hostel with our son and nephew for two nights as we wished to be quite central to Lima but in a quiet neighbourhood. The we took the room with the double bed to the front of the hostel. The double bed had a good mattress but was very small for me as I am I 6' 3" in size. The room was quite clean, but the wardrobe was a bit dusty. The room was as quiet as it could be since it faced onto a road. Although the bathroom was private it meant walking a few steps from the room as it was not en-suite.

The boys took a four-roomed dormitory for their exclusive use. This room was practical for their needs.

The hostel was very relaxed, had a good breakfast and handy kitchen. The highlight was the garden with hammocks and table tennis. The hostel needs a bit of attention though; for instance the bar football was partially broken (some of the players didn't spin), the climbing wall didn't function, we had great trouble plugging in the TV in the common room (the plug just kept on popping out), the remote control batteries for the TV were dead and the freezer was dirty.

All in all I would recommend the hostel as a no frills budget option. The neighbourhood is great and the hostel is relaxed.

On Booking.com the best rooms are displayed, please note though that some of the rooms are of substantially lower quality than shown.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Polish first
philadelphia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

I stayed 3 nights at this hostel, had a double room with a private bathroom and hot shower, and Wi-Fi access for 85 Sole per night. The three nights were not consecutive ones and hence I was put at different rooms during different nights. One night I had a good room (on an upper floor) and an unsatisfactory one in the remaining two nights -a dorm room at a lower floor which the hotel allowed us to use as private room. The hot shower would not easily work in this dorm room, and we needed help each time we had to use it. On the pros side, the hostel is quite close to Cruz del Sur bus terminal and also the terminus of some other bus stations, but is not close to the tourist attractions (museums) and restaurants.

The staff is very helpful and friendly, but not the owner. She seemed annoyed when I asked about the shower the first time. We arrived late on our last night and asked her about the dining options nearby. She offered spaggeti- leftover from her dinner at 10 soles per plate.
We agreed on it since there weren't and diners nearby. I needed to call a driver with whom we had arranged a day-trip to Caral and needed to use the hotel phone as I did not have a local mobile phone in Lima. She did eventually helped me to connect to him, but was initially resistant. She did help me find taxis to the bus station, airport and musee larco and negotiated the price with the driver on my behalf.

All in all, my stay was not awful, but not the best either. If I were to visit Lima again, I would try another place, likely in Miraflores.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms at the upper flor
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Oban
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

We stayed in this hostel after arriving at the airport from Europe. It is not in the best location, being quite distant from the centre and Miraflores if you wish to walk. However, taxis and the local busses - if you dare to use them - are exceptionally cheap and easily resolve this issue. Though it looks a little desolate and forboding from the front, inside it is cozy and friendly. Our room was very clean as were the showers, which were continually hot. They serve a basic, but good, breakfast and there is a climbing wall to play on (its difficult!).
The staff were very helpful and booked our bus to Cusco for us which saved a lot of effort.
This is a nice, quiet place to stay and get a good nights sleep.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

My friend and I arrived from Cusco on a 20 hour bus around 2pm and didn´t fly out until midnight, so we wanted a place to shower and store our stuff before heading to the airport. We had an e-mail conformation, but they had no record of our arrival. The price quoted in the e-mail was 10 soles less than what they wanted to charge us. The owner acted put out that we were there and was not helpful. The shower was hot. They did help arrange a taxi to the airport.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Bratislava, Slovakia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

We flew to Lima from Europe, we had arranged an airport pickup from hostel, the driver was good, spoke english. The room was cozy, but the light button was outside the room, we didnt know that and found out the last day in the morning. location is quiet, nice area, they also arranged a pickup to airport to Lima at 3.30 in the morning, was also fine. Cannot say nothing bad.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

On the bright side this hostel is in good location if you on a way to travel by bus to other destination, also not far from Miraflores or city centre (by taxi and they are cheap in Peru). Staff was wery nice and helpful, but not the owner. Breakfast was also good and served with big smile:-) On the not so bright side this hostel is old, needs major renovation and maintnance work and it's not very clean. So if you are looking for cheap place for a night or 2 you will survive, but I wouldn't recomend for longer stay or even for short if you need some comfort.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
WEST CHESTER
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

The room was OK. The bathroom did not have hot water. Looked like someone above us could see our bathroom. The bath area was deep and I was afraid of slipping into it. The front desk person charged me $6 more than was promissed. She arranged the taxi for next day for 8 am for our 10:45 am flight. We wanted to leave @ 7:30 but the lady assured us that 8:30 would be sufficient. We were at the airport at 9 am but were told that the gates were closed. We were lucky to get the 11:45 flight. If didn't get it then our trip would have been a mess. If you are catching a flight in Lima, make sure you are there 2 hours before hand.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Youth Hostel Malka? Share your experiences!