“Great small hotel in Lima” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ramon Ribeyro # 301 | Miraflores, Lima 18, Peru   |
Ranked #20 of 207 Hotels in Lima
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Great small hotel in Lima”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Just got back from Peru - I've been visiting since 2003 and this hotel has become my favourite in Lima. It's not a five star hotel, but it's not pretending to be. At this time of year Lima is cold and in my experience all hotels at this level do not have heating, but this one had a good number of blankets on the bed and we were toasty warm in bed (not my experience in other hotels).

The hotel is in a charming building built in the 1940s in the colonial style with lovely social spaces. The staff were charming and helpful and the price is good value compared to other hotels in the same price range (Casa San Martin for example - more expensive, less nice). Room was a good size and everything in good working order. Some nice touches like the map of the local area and all the staff are happy to give directions.

It's number one on my list for Lima in future.

Room Tip: If you want a double bed, you need to ask for "matrimonial" - asking for a double will end...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Prior to arriving in Lima, I called the hotel and spoke with someone (in English) about arranging pick up from the hotel. Upon arriving in Lima, our driver was there waiting for us with a sign with my name on it. He promptly took us to his car and drove us to the hotel. We were glad we didn’t rent a car in Peru because there are no rules when driving in Peru and our driver got us to the hotel safely!

The staff at the hotel was great. They immediately provided us with a map of the Miraflores area and told us where the closest grocery stores were so we could purchase water (and highlighted the route for us). We also needed help getting our tickets into Machu Picchu and the staff was amazing at helping us do this. They gave us 2 options: 1. They could do it for us for an extra fee or 2. They could help us do it ourselves. We were okay with option #1, but they insisted on us doing it ourselves so we could get the “full experience”! It was very easy to do and they gave us directions every step of the way.

The hotel location was a very safe area and we were able to walk around, day and night. It was also extremely close to the Metropolitano, the public bus service, that took us directly to El Centro (for very few soles). The breakfast was good and the beds were okay.

The only con to this hotel is it was cold and there wasn’t any heat. The weather in Miraflores in July is cold and misty, so night time was a bit cold.

Finally, the hotel arranged for our driver to take us back to the airport on our last day for a (small) fee. Overall, we had a nice stay in this hotel!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Bend, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

This hotel is super! We found it via our Lonely Planet guide & highly recommend it. Great, safe location in Miraflores area, staff were very friendly, polite, helpful (speak English), clean, wonderful breakfast included; free airport pick-up included; we stayed here 2 nights & would go back again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Lima, Peru
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed a few nights there and thought the place was nice and well located and quite. Bathrooms and towels are clean. The staff working there are very friendly and willing to help you in anything that they can. Only negative is the breakfast, we were not told it was possible to have eggs; also the airport-hotel transfer was done in an old dirty car, not nice if you are paying extra for this service, driver was friendly.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I stayed at Hotel San Antonio Abad for 4 nights after taking a 10-day tour of Peru. Since I was leaving the rest of the tour group at the airport, it was unfortunate that the taxi that the hotel was supposed to have pick me up did not appear. Our tour guide called the hotel for me and then waited with me until the (supposed) driver showed up. However, the man who came was actually not the driver, but led me outside and then had me wait on a sidewalk until he came back with a driver who had an unmarked car. However, I did arrive safely at the hotel, although a little late.

I had missed on the hotel website and in the reviews that there was no elevator at the hotel, so after spending one night on the third floor, asked to be moved. I spent the second night on the third floor and then was moved to the first. The hotel staff did carry my suitcase up and then down for me, which was a big help. Not only was the first floor room much easier to get to, it was a much nicer room. The third floor room was truly a single, with one single bed with one pillow in a small room. The first floor room was larger, with a larger bed with 2 pillows with a nicer, larger bathroom, but the bathroom was still quite basic. The helpful woman at the front desk was very nice about trying to find me a room to move to. I could have moved for the second night, but then would have had to move again, so opted to stay upstairs for the second night.

Overall, the hotel is quite spartan. The public areas are nice, with good wi-fi in both the open area on the third floor (with comfortable seating) and the big room off the lobby. But the rooms are quite bare, have a menu but no "hotel information" material, so I never quite knew if it was a room service menu, what hours it was available, etc. However, a couple of afternoons I asked at the front desk for a cup of tea and was graciously and promptly served. I still don't know if that is a service that they regularly offer or if they truly went out of their way for me, since there was no printed info on guest services.

I agree with others that the staff was very helpful. They provided good directions and suggestions. When I asked at the front desk if there was a bookstore nearby where I could buy a better guidebook than the one I had, he offered to lend me one for the length of my stay in Lima - that was really great service! As a solo traveler I might have been a little happier with a more central location - the hotel is a short walk to the tourist/business area and I felt very comfortable walking around during the day, but not at night.

The breakfast was fine, but I was expecting something more out of the ordinary after reading the reviews here. It did stay open till 10:30 a.m., so offers guests a lot of flexibility about when they have breakfast.

All in all, the hotel is a good value for the money, just as long as you don't expect too much after reading all the outstanding reviews.

All in all, I am happy to recommend this hotel, as long as you don't expect anything very fancy and request a room on the first floor if you don't want to climb stairs.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed here for two nights. The reception staff were very helpful. One assisted me in making a phone call to LAN which I was having trouble with. Our room was medium sized. We could hear the morning traffic as our room was at the front near the road, but it wasn't unbearable. The shower was hot. The breakfast was provided in a lovely breakfast room. The hotel is in a good location and easy to walk to the ocean front and shops. Overall a good choice of accommodation.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Green Bay, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Hotel San Antonio Abad, our home for a week, was a wonderful experience with a great staff always willing to help with suggestions, directions, etc. Our rooms were clean and the breakfasts were outstanding.

We highly recommend this hotel for your stay in Lima.
Ken/Marge

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel San Antonio Abad? Share your experiences!