“Definitely Not a 5-Star Property” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Belmond Miraflores Park

Save Saved
You added Belmond Miraflores Park to your Saves list
Belmond Miraflores Park
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av Malecon de la Reserva 1035 | Miraflores, Lima 18, Peru   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Complimentary Experiences
Ranked #5 of 200 Hotels in Lima
New York, New York, United States
“Definitely Not a 5-Star Property”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

I really wanted to love this hotel. After reviewing several hotel options in Lima, I decided to stay at the Miraflores Park Hotel because of its location. I was traveling with my 70-something year old mother so wanted someplace that was close to the shopping and sights Miraflores had to offer. I also was able to get a great rate from American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts program so thought this would be the perfect hotel – I was wrong. We stayed five nights at the hotel.

First the positives. The staff were very good – in particular the servers in the Observatory Restaurant where to food was quite good. The front desk staff was adequate and personable but it all felt a bit forced. The porters and bellman were extremely welcoming and warm and the bar mixes a good cocktail. The location is indeed perfect and views amazing. The rain showers in the bathroom were the high point of the stay and my 4 p.m. check-out was extended to 7 p.m. as we had a late flight. We also used the hotel's car service for airport transfers and to take us anywhere we wanted to go. Some people have commented that it was expensive but I found it to be resonable to the level of service (and safety) they afforded.

The negatives. I had 12 p.m. check-in and out flight was late so didn’t get there until after 1 p.m. and they had to “check” and see if the room was ready? The first room we were given was simply atrocious (see photos). It was worn with two torn duvet covers, a rather large fruit punch stain on the floor, severely scratched furniture, and food on the settee in front of the bed. The hair dryer was on its last legs and the air conditioning unit also sounded like it was about to explode with a constant banging that would have made it impossible to sleep (I have video I am trying to post of both rooms AC sounds). The "decorative" piilows on the bed were all stained and dirty. Best of all this was a supposed upgrade (part of the FHR deal) from a Deluxe Room to an “Executive” Room. Uh, really?

I brought this to the attention of the front desk and they checked for another room – which took about two hours. The staff seemed surprised that I wanted to see the new room before switching. Well, we looked at the new room and thankfully it was in better shape than the first but the air conditioning was making some noise but better than the first so we moved. It also had a newer hair dryer which had far more power than the previous room. Bother rooms had the most tacky set-up of wine and cheese (for purchase) that was definitely NOT what I would expect to see in a five star hotel – and actually have never seen such in all my travels.

Unfortunately, as our stay progressed the air conditioner got worse and worse and at one point stopped working (thankfully it came back after an hour or so) so I had to sleep with ear plugs. My mother simply could not move rooms again. The sink drain stopper kept breaking after the room was cleaned and took forever to get out of the lock poition to allow water to drain.

To the hotel’s credit after I tweeted some images of the first room both the guest services manager and hotel general manager reached out to me. But it should take that to get someone's attention. The general manager was very nice and wanted to make sure the new room was adequate – which is all it really was. He asked if I had used my other FHR amenity of a complimentary lunch of dinner in the hotels Mesa 18 restaurant. I explained that I am allergic to gluten and shellfish so would likely just not use it – and that was completely fine with me. With my allergies I have to be extremely careful and am not going to eat someplace just because it is gratis. Long story short he went on and on about the restaurant being able to accommodate me and I should try it.

Well, one evening after a long day of shopping we were exhausted and decided to give the restaurant a go. BIG mistake. After reviewing my allergies with our server (I travel with translated allergy cards) I asked to speak with the manager to confirm I’d be okay and they sent over a waiter instead who spoke better English. After reviewing the menu there was one item I could eat. I am used to that so no big deal but what arrived was the most unappealing looking dish I have ever see (see photo). I mean it was completely inedible. I would have never even bothered to eat here if the hotel manager was not so insistent.

The hotel management likes to say that they are working on renovating the rooms but when people are paying a premium price you cannot have such difference in the same rooms within your hotel when you call yourself five star. The hotel did send some desserts, chocolates,a nd fruit to the room (which were never removed by housekeeping and just sat there for days until I scraped the dishes and placed them in a prominent area -- despite the fruit spoiling) and offered a slight discount on a bit of laundry we sent out but that was it. I did get a good rate so it took some of the sting out of the hotel’s shortcomings – and they were many – but if you pay any more than $300+/night and this hotel it is not worth it in its present condition – even the second room we got was not up to the standards you would come to expect from a hotel that bills itself as this one does.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
oeperu, General Manager at Belmond Miraflores Park, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
Dear Michael D,

I would like to thank you for having taken the time to post your comments in Trip Advisor, regarding your stay at the Miraflores Park Hotel. As I told you, your evaluation is very much appreciated, as this is the best way we can improve ourselves.
Concerning your regards on the issues in your room during your stay, we sincerely apologize, the problem has been brought up to our maintenance team and has been already rectified.
Despite that, I am pleased that you enjoyed the rain shower in room and the quality of our service all around the hotel, as well as the cocktails at Dr. Jeckyl & Mr. Hyde Bar.
Again, thank you very much for your comments which will aid us in constant improvement and upkeeping of our level of service.

We remain at your service.

Patricio Zucconi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Polish first
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

we spent three nights here.....................the service was excellent. The rooms were very spacious and the views were spectacular.........especially from the rooftop pool at sunset. The food was delicious (try the fried pork at breakfast). Dinner in the Mesa 18 was delighful (we actually ate there twice.................once Peruvian and once fusion...the menu offers both and they were delicious. The bar has a great atmosphere and quite comptemporary fixtures....something similar to Phillippe Starke's designs. Our bartender and his sidekick Ceasar made our evening much fun and they intrduced us to Pisco Sours................don't have the second one unless you are having dinner in the same chair!

Clyde Thomas and Buz Hightower

Room Tip: request an ocean view and one with a sauna
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
oeperu, General Manager at Belmond Miraflores Park, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Dear guest,
Thank you so much for your kind comments about Miraflores Park Hotel! We are very grateful for your review and I would like to say that your recognition means a lot to us! I am very glad that you enjoyed our prime location!

Thank you so much for your contribution,
I hope you choose to stay with us on any future trip you decide to make back to Perù.

All the best,
Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

Spent one night here, on layover to Cuzco. Fabulous setting by the ocean. Check-in process was fast, with the special attention of the clerk coming to your room with you to explain all the features, nice touch. Lazed by the rooftop pool with this amazing view, sunset and all. Food and service was excellent, beyond any reproach. Also went to the spa for a massage, again friendly and very courteous service. Highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
oeperu, General Manager at Belmond Miraflores Park, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for writing such a nice comment on the Trip Advisor website.

This effect "WOW" is what we try every day to project to our guests and achieve it is our greatest purpose.

We were truly delighted that you enjoyed our accommodations and that our staff were extremely friendly; they work exceptionally hard to make every guest feel special.

Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you in the near future.

Caracas, Venezuela
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

Wonderful hotel to stay! Our room was super comfortable, t lovedthe shower! Personnel was very proactive and friendly.....as it should be! On the first morning I asked for grapefruit juice and they had to make it, the following morning they had it for me! Very special detail!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you so much for your kind comments about our property and for choosing Miraflores Park Hotel to celebrate a special date such as New year's eve!! We hope you had a great time and an amazing holiday.
We are very glad you enjoyed your stay as well as our location and that our staff were extremely helpful; they work exceptionally hard to make every guest feels like home.

Hoping to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel for your next stay in Lima, may I take this opportunity to thank you again for your remarks.

Best wishes,
singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

This is where we started our 2.5 week visit to Peru. We arrived on 30 Dec 2011 and planned to stay 2 nights. The check-in was brisk and the service staff was so helpful. The oceanview rooms was stunning, especially the sunsets. We decided to have NY's eve dinner at Mesa 18 as we were jetlagged and didnt want to venture too far. Breakfast buffet was substantial and we enjoyed the varieties of local fruit that was available for our sampling. As I was diving in the Galapagos after our visit in Peru, I wanted to leave my dive bag with the hotel instead of lugging it around with me all over Peru. The bell concierge was nice enough to keep my dive bag in the hotel until I was leaving Peru some 2 weeks later. I was so relieved.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Geelong, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

Located right near the ocean in a park setting, this hotel is tremendous by any standards. The lobby and surrounds have beautiful décor and ambience with a delightful flower display at the entrance. Rooms and bathroom were large and very comfortable. Breakfast on the top floor has great views. There is a mall in easy walking distance for shopping. Shops inside the hotel sell quality goods – alpaca clothing and jewellery were popular. Hotel staff in Peru were very polite and helpful as usual. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: We had a view over a rear street so ask for an ocean view room.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your amazing review about Miraflores Park Hotel! We are so happy you had a true "Orient Express experience" staying with us. This is exactly the objective of our hotel´s location. We are very glad you enjoyed and noticed this fact.

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you liked our décor ambience, comfortable rooms and facilities especially our staff.

We are looking forward to welcoming you in your next visit. Thank you once again for having chosen our property as your preferred accommodation.

Warmest Regards,
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I had a great stay at this hotel. It is very close to the cliff side walking trails, and the cliff side mall. Greta safe hotle in Lima.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
oeperu, General Manager at Belmond Miraflores Park, responded to this review, April 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are very glad that you chose Miraflores Park Hotel to begin your trip!
I hope you can come visit us many times more. You will be always welcome at Miraflores Park Hotel! In the meantime we remain at your service.

Best regards,

Patricio Zucconi

Been to Belmond Miraflores Park? Share your experiences!