“Stay Away” 1 of 5 stars

JessUSA
“Stay Away”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2007

Hello

I have been all over the world and stayed in many different hotels. This hotel, the Apart Hotel Las Americas, while it had a nice facility, I hated the place. I have been to Peru many times, and have over 60 days in Lima under my belt. So I know this is not a typical experience.

The problem was that I felt like I was under surveillance the entire time. I stayed here for 20 days and would have left if I had not paid in advance. They had a very strict visitor policy. First, they took the ID of any visitor I had and made them fill out a form, every time. Even if they had been there the day before. I felt they were trying to keep the local Peruvians out of the hotel. Because the policy did not seem strict when my friends were Westerners. I hated the whole process and thought it demeaning.

They also had a policy of ten dollars per visitor if they came after 9 PM. They never advised me of this and sprung it on me about mid way thru the stay. Nothing started in Lima before 11 PM, so forget having friends over to kill time until the party started. Why have a three room Suite with two couches and a wet bar if you cant entertain?

I realize they were trying to protect stupid Americans but the atmosphere was truly Closterphobic. I recommend staying anywhere but here.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2006

in the four nights we spent at Las Americas in Lima, we needed to change our rooms five times mostly due to plumbing problems and other minor problems. Not recommended!

• Disliked — plumbing
  • Stayed October 2006
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2006

We stayed here for two nights when we first moved to Peru, before we carried on to Arequipa. We checked in at 2:30 am, into a suite that was practically an apartment - kitchenette and bar, living room with fold-out bed, bedroom with king-sized bed, whirlpool tub . . . everything was clean and tidy. Although we hadn't dealt directly with the hotel, since my husband's work booked it, they had provided a classy solid-wood crib with lovely linens for our one-year-old.

I was very sick with a cold the whole time we were there, so we ate all our meals in the room. Room service was excellent and reasonably priced, the staff were friendly, competent, and great with the kids. The closet was big enough to become a fort for my 3-year-old who, thanks to the great room service, spent the whole time playing restaurant.

It was a bit noisy, and I found that the air conditioner was clunky and smelled a bit musty - but it had to be on, because otherwise the rooms got muggy and oppressive. A pool would have been nice with the kids. Only these small considerations keep me from giving this hotel the full 5 stars.

• Liked — Room service
  • Disliked — Clunky air conditioner
  • Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2005

I have stayed at this hotel twice and both times found the suites to be very comfortable and clean. The hotel has a good restaurant, Club 21, in the lobby, and is in a conveinent location in Miraflores to access other areas of the city. It is located on a busy street, and the noise can be a problem, but Lima in general is a noisy city, and that is just something you have to contend with. The suites are a good size, with a separate sitting area and bedroom.

The hotel itself is quiet, and the staff friendly and very helpful. The concierge was very helpful in making reservations and travel arrangements.

The only detraction to this hotel, and the reason I didn't give it five stars, is that it seems in need of remodeling. While the rooms are clean and well kept, it is apparent that the furniture well used. Twenty years ago this hotel must have been the hight of luxury, but now it feels dated.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2004

I booked here because it has a kitchen. The staff at checkout and whilst I was there were very good but you can't get away from the fact it is a very noisy hotel. It is on a main street, the windows are very thin and if you have ever been to Lima you will know that a lot of people connect their car alarms to their horns and use them on a regular basis. Given this I got very little sleep. I was in room 903 and I asked if I could be moved somewhere quieter and they put me in room 205 which had less traffic noise but all the airconditioning was outside my window so no sleep again. Another thing that annoyed me was the loud piped music in the lobby and the elevators - maybe to try and mask all the other noises. The rooms are large and clean. The kitchenette consists of a microwave, fridge, sink, kettle and some cultery and crockery. There is no internet access in the rooms. I wouldn't stay again as without sleep its difficult to work.

Been to Thunderbird Hotel J. Pardo? Share your experiences!