“Beautiful but expensive” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 200 Hotels in Lima
Salem, Oregon
“Beautiful but expensive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

This is a gorgeous hotel with the same "heavenly" beds found in the US. The bathroom was very modern and large with a big tub and shower. The buffet breakfast is very nice with lots of options. My only complaint is there isn't a hot tub in the pool area. It's also very expensive and at first they were going to make us get two rooms because we had our daughters (ages 10 and 14). I have never encountered this before, especially when the room has two queens it seems silly to have 3 guests max per room. After calling the manager, they finally agreed to "just" charge us an extra $100 for another guest in the room. Crazy expensive for one night after our $50 rooms in the Sacred Valley.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

My wife and I travel every year to Lima for leisure. We usually stay in Miraflores in one of the Hilton family hotels which we enjoy very much. Well, last year we learned of the opening of this new Westin so we decided to give it a try this year.
I will break-it down on the likes and dislikes.
Likes:
• It's a nice modern hotel no doubt (Thirty something floors, tallest building in Lima).
• The rooms are nice, clean and comfy beds. Same with the lobby and restaurants.
• People are nice and you will get a good service. (Except sometimes it seems like they are pressured by management to be nice and they don't come across genuine.)
• Breakfast buffet is very good lots of choices.
Dislikes:
• We’re done with Starwood period. Going back to Hilton Honors they really treat you like King hands down.
• You will not get a welcome drink.
• All services in the hotel are very expensive this is not a complaint in fact I understand is a 5 star hotel, but, if they want me to pay premium I expect some top notch service in return and two things come to mind. The restaurant (Market 770) it’s just OK for dinner, you can do much better, more authentic and cheaper outside the hotel. (We did not like their “tiradito” a creamy ceviche). On the other hand the breakfast buffet is very nice though. Again I not saying is bad but for what you pay for, it will be cheaper and more typical outside the hotel. Second, DO NOT pay $70USD for the spa (Steam Room -Baños Turcos) is not worth it. Here's what seventy dollar will get you: 90 minutes of use of the facility (that’s it), which includes one "regular" steam room a pool and a jacuzzi there is not a dry sauna. Also, the rest area it is not relaxing either, way too noisy from the vacuum drain at the bottom of the water fall walls. Be careful if you use the water jets from outside the pool, these jets shoot water from outside the pool to the inside and the pressure is like a real fire house. (I had pain in my back for over a week)
• My last complaint is about a fitness room employee. I was the only one in the gym this guy came up to me and asked me if I needed any help, I said no. Well, he stood behind every machine I used for the whole time just staring at me, not that I needed help, I'm an athletic person and workout every day. That really made me angry.
• The location it's fine if you are there for business there are a few restaurants around the hotel and a couple of grocery stores but if you are on vacation and want to be in a centrally located area (shops, restaurants) I would strongly recommend Miraflores. Speaking of that if you want to skip the hotel restaurant for breakfast there's is an excellent Cafe (panaderia/pasteleria) right around the corner from the hotel on Avenida Rivera Navarrete, just ask the concierge .

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
WestinLimaGM, General Manager at The Westin Lima Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, March 2, 2012
Thank you for your detailed comments. They are greatly appreciated and have been shared with the team. We are proud of our SPG program which is among the best in the hotel industry but the programs you mentioned are also very good. I apologize for the levels of service you received while with us. I would love to hear from you if you are willing to give us another chance to serve you. The team and I would appreciate that. Best regards.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

Up to now I had normally stayed at the Marriott in Miraflores, but have switched to the Westin to cut back on the travel time to our local offices in Lima. (Traffic is terrible in the capital during rush hours). Although the Westin has more luxurious rooms than the Marriott, the latter wins out on views (panoramic oceanfront) and location (great shopping, seafront promenade, casino, cinemas, etc.). The Westin has a nice "clubby" bar tucked away from the main lobby-- though the taped music can get uncomfortably loud. The lobby area also serves drinks and has a nice live band some evenings. The Westin can be fussy about things like late check out and early check in, even for Starwood members. That's never a problem at the Marriott. Given the early morning arrival times and late evening departure times of most flights, access to the rooms is a key consideration. The Westin acted as though they were doing me a favor by giving me a 2pm check out--something that's virtually automatic in most hotels of this class, including the Marriott. The only meal I had at the Westin was breakfast, which was fine but not stellar (eggs other than scrambled required a special request). The coffee was perfect--unusual for hotels anywhere. The Westin also offers free in-room coffee makers with decent coffee, something I really appreciate. Other than the breakfast dining room there is also a proper restaurant on site that I didn't visit. But Limeños I know say it is only so-so (to be fair, restaurants in Lima are so wonderful that mere hotel dining rooms can't hope to compete). One design flaw I wish the hotel would fix is that there is no place to sit in the lower lobby next to the driveway while waiting for your car to pick you up--other than a concrete ledge next to a decorative fountain. The comfortable seating area is up a few steps with an obstructed view of the cars and drivers. The business center charged me three bucks to check an address online in the business center--how tacky. Finally, the pool (indoor only) was out of service for maintenance, which was a major disappointment for me and something for which I thought the hotel should have compensated. Overall, the Westin is a very good choice if this part of town is more convenient for you--otherwise I still think the Marriott beats it in a close race.

Room Tip: Higher floors have nice views. There is a noisy balcony bar on the 4th floor, but I don't know i...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
WestinLimaGM, Director General at The Westin Lima Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
Kenat323
Thank you for your detail evaluation and comments. I apologize for the pool being closed during your stay for annual mainentnce. Please advise me through TripAdvisor so I may offer you an upgrade to an executive suite for your inconvenience. I also appreciate your honesty regardng the property and the JW Marriott. We are the newest hotel in the city and are still working out our opening kinks. We appreciate your business and I look forward to meeting you personally soon on your next visit.
Paul
West Palm Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Great experience at the Westin in Lima. Since I was SPG platinum, they upgraded me to an executive room. Very nice room with a walk in closet. I arranged to be picked up at the airport by their limo service. It was nice to be picked up in an Audi A6! The Westin Club was nice. The location was the only disappointing factor. It located by a VERY busy street. You really cannot walk anywhere to go shopping. You need to talk a cab. The hotel's limo service is quite expensive in comparison to the street cabs.

Room Tip: If you are a SPG member especially Gold or Platinum, ask for an upgrade.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments and evaluation. The hotel is definately suited for business travelers as well as large and conventions. However, we also have quite a few of leisure travelers which use the hotel as thier base in Lima while they discover Peru´s interior tourist sites. Also, are you aware of our courtesy shuttle to Larcomar, a great place for shopping? The team and I look forward to having you return with us soon. Best regards.
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

This is probably the best Westin hotel I have ever stayed at. It reminded me of a Mandarin Oriental. Tasteful, sublime decor, fenomenal room service food, awesome views.

For improvement: the hotel taxis (private cars) are clueless about where to go in the city. We got lost 3 times, with 3 different drivers. I called ahead to the concierge desk all 3 times to make sure that he would communicate where we were going. Obviously no one talked to each other.

Bogota, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

Stayed on 3rd week on Jan 2012. Overall, was as expected from a Westin property in Lima. The hotel is brand new, and it shows overall in the facility. Rooms are modern without being too avant-garde, they keep the Westin standard - however are among the most modern proposals in Lima, excluding boutique / non large-chain properties. Bathroom is large enough, with separate tub, toilet area and dual sink + modern shower (no door - all glass). The bed is great, 2 different types of pillows (soft and firm), plus reading lights, Ipod alarm clock and cordless room phone. I did enjoy the 10 USD wifi for 24hrs - overall better than other hotels (even the sister-Sheraton Lima), though the lobby's wifi is free. The room has a desk and has a great contraption for connecting your gadgets (including HDMI input)

Breakfast is ok, could have had a larger station, but quality is good. Recommend the English Bar and its signature Chilcanos, also differentiated vs what you can find in a very gastronomical city like Lima.

Gym is small but functional, pool was out of service but is small, enough to cool down during summer and relaxing, but it's covered so it will depend on your mood. Did like the overall space, common areas around the lobby (chairs and lounge area are surrounded by small flames with water around them). Very hip design and upscale feeling.

Cant complain about the location, almost at the intersection between Av Paseo de la Republica (the "via expresa") and Javier Prado, windows are soundproofed so street noise is quite diminished - and believe me there is.

Overall recommended above the JW Marriott. The other Starwood hotel is the Sheraton, but this is a modern-well located concept if you can afford it.

Room Tip: Request floors above 14th, and facing Javier Prado West for a great view of the sunset + ocean
quito
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

we stayed at the hotel for a week,a very nice hotel, good location..the rooms are good but they are not great,some have a very nice view..the breakfast buffet was too simple but the food was kinda good, giving the fact that food in lima is just perfect! the spa was amazing, it might be one of the best spas i have ever been to..it has big indoor poor..the service was good..
ps. don't use the hotel taxi/cab it is so expensive! u can just cross the steert and easily find a cab :)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
WestinLimaGM, Director General at The Westin Lima Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, January 12, 2012
Thank you for your comments. I will review them regarding the food quality and share your congratulations with the spa team. Your suggestion to take a taxi outside the hotel is valid but I wish to share with you that three guests have been inconvinienced without going into details and so forth our recommendation of using the hotels taxi service. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences with others. Best regards.

Been to The Westin Lima Hotel & Convention Center? Share your experiences!