“Unhelpful and ripped off” 1 of 5 stars

You added Lion Backpackers to your Saves list
Lion Backpackers
Grimaldo del solar 139 - 143 | Miraflores, Lima 18, Peru (Miraflores)   |
Ranked #34 of 239 Specialty Lodging in Lima
“Unhelpful and ripped off”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

At 70 soles a night for a single damp concrete floor with the bathroom outside and a floor below. No hot water and wifi only in reception. Had to wait 5mins to get in and out of the gate at night. Refused to return my money for the second night and finally returned half of it after making me wait half an hour.

• Stayed June 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Sao Paulo, SP
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

From outside it looks gorgeous and safe. But that's all. Despite the good location (Miraflores neighborhood, near Park Kennedy) this hostel is a shame. The rooms were filthy and a complete mess. The 2 bathrooms I used were even worse, trash cans overflowing w/ toilet paper and the shower space full of hair, disgusting! The private rooms are extremelly expensive, it would be possible to stay in `Formule 1` or `Ibis` for the same price. Not to mention the poor breakfast. Go elsewhere!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Athens
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

I stayed here for one night and now I prefer to move on. The hostel is ok, makes a safe impression from outside (huge fence and locked gate) and has nice, comfortable common rooms. Some things though I did not like. The fridge is too small for a hostel as big as this, and is in a filthy state. The kitchen is small, I do not see anybody cooking anything, perhaps it is because of that. Also, there was never dishwasing-fluid available. How clean are the clean dishes then ? In my dorm, there were only 2 out of 4 beds occupied, but all 4 lockers taken, didn't have a place to lock up my valuables. Funny, because my other roommate had the same problem.... The response of the stuff to that was- none. the dormroom did not lock either, but nothing went wrong, still got all my things.The location is nice, safe neighborhood (Miraflores), good for a nice walk at almost any time of the day. If needed, I would come back, but for now, I prefer to look around for something better.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

I have stayed twice at the Lion Backpackers.
I would go back there.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

This hostel is fine (secure, clean etc) but is nothing special. The staff are pretty unfriendly, with the exception of one woman, and the private rooms are ok but very small. There is a breakfast of bread and a banana included in the price. It seemed quite pricey but I think that is generally the case in Miraflores.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

After getting off a 26 hour bus ride from Cuzco, our taxi driver took us directly to Lion Backpackers. It was our fault we ended up here and not some where recommended because we did not make reservations a head of time. At first glance I was not impressed with the interior of the building, dark dirty and did not have a good vibe. We checked the room and at that point all I wanted was a shower and food and agreed to the room. It it probably the priciest budget backpackers hostel at 90 soles. We thought it may be reasonable depending on the area but turns out it is way overpriced compared to other hostels in the area which are MUCH nicer. In the first moments in our room I went to take a shower, I noticed that the bathroom had not been properly cleaned. there was hair all over the place and scum and dirt on the floor, door, and sink. I was hesitant to use the shower knowing there probably was not Hot water either and I was right...the hot water ran for about 1 min and then went cold. While my friend was showering I noticed that the blankets were very old and dingy and look like they have never been washed. I stripped the bed and left just the sheets not knowing what was lurching in the blankets. After, we went to dinner and returned to sleep. We were sitting on the bed when my boyfriend started itching the back of his legs. I noticed his itching and saw that he had 3 new bug bites. Immediately we took all of our things of the bed to prevent infestation in our bags. I lifted the sheets and noticed inside the crease of the mattress and infestation of BEDBUGS. I went downstairs to see what the guy at reception could do for us. He was not apologetic and didn't know what to do until I suggested he move us to a newer cleaner room with new mattresses. He said he had one available. At this point in the night it was too late to switch hostels. We moved downstairs to a newer room with new mattresses but they had the same filthy blankets on them. After examining the new mattresses they looked safe enough to sleep on for a few hours. needless to say I couldn't sleep much thinking about bugs in my bed. In the morning my friend left early for the airport. While packing my things later on, I realized that I had left my computer case behind in the other room in the frantic change to switch rooms. I asked the lady at reception if she had seen it and she said no and barely helped me look for it. I had to go to the cleaner who finally helped me look for it through the trash and dirty linens. We still did not find it. They said that another person had cleaned the original room and they were not present to ask them about it. Go figure. So Overall this hotel is not recommended because it is dirty, unhelpful, no hot water and BEDBUGS!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2,062 reviews 2,062 reviews
1,092 helpful votes 1,092 helpful votes
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

This place is for the budget traveller, but rooms are not clean at all, and the bathrooms are not in good shape either (what we consider to be 2 basic must haves). Definitely smelled of mold and we got breathing problems from the dusty sheets/blankets...
At $30 for a doble, you might get better, but in Miraflores it is hard to come by. Maybe upgrade and go to the Maria Angola Hotel ($70), at least that is what we did... Or to some other hostels in the same street at around $40-50, that were way cleaner.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Lion Backpackers? Share your experiences!