“Two week ayahuasca retreat in March 2013” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Amaru Spirit

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Iquitos
Amaru Spirit
Rio Itaya, Iquitos, Peru   |
Dunoon, United Kingdom
“Two week ayahuasca retreat in March 2013”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I stayed here for two weeks In March and the group I met up with had seven Ayahuasca ceremonies. We were given fantastic tasting superfood smoothies each morning and other healthy meals during the day which I've tried to replicate since I got home to Scotland but obviously don't have access to many of the natural ingredients so have had to use supplements and alternatives. I've still managed to keep the stone of weight off that I lost from the amazing food we were treated to there. It's a memory that will never be forgotten and I've found that a mountain of negativity has been lifted from my shoulders. The main phobia I had which was a fear of flying has disappeared since the retreat and I'm studying for my private pilots licence which I would never have considered. I've never met someone like "Slocum" (retreat owner) with such a vast nutritional knowledge and understanding of how the body and mind work. After the retreat I went on a four night Jungle expedition from Nauta but I was left a bit disappointed with this as I'd seen so much wildlife within the retreat grounds and even a Rainbow Boa during ceremony one evening which was an impressive sight for us all. I would definitely go here again but would visit at the end of our Scottish summer instead of the coldest part of our Winter so I'm bit better conditioned for the heat of the jungle.

Chris
West Coast of Scotland

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

26 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Gothenburg, Västra Götaland, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

If you are interested in Amazonian medicine and/or detoxing your body this is the place to be. Slocum (David) got a unique way of combining the old traditional medicines with a modern western knowledge of food and nutrition. The center is also located very beautifully next to the river, away from the noise of Iquitos but close enough to get into town in about 20-30 minutes.
With plenty of wisdom and an enormous amount humility Slocum takes his time with all his guests even though he has many things going on. Both the food and the medicine is of top quality. That is more than you can expect from most similar centers.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I spent 8 days on retreat at Amaru Spirit. I have completed many ceremonies before at other centres. I can recommend Slocum and this centre for many things. Slocum brings his artistic spirit to this centre and to ceremony. I found an abundance of support, great nutrition and compassion. Slocum is very generous with his time and spirit. The food and nutrition were also excellent and appear to support the ceremonial work. I found the ceremonial nights to be compassionate, healing and visionary. I found the centre also contributed to my creativity. I can recommend Slocum's centre without reservation.

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Oakland, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I came across Slocum (David) while traveling to Iquitos for supplies from another indigenous medicine center. His interest and production of superfoods (cacao nibs, coconut oil, maca, et al.) is what first connected us. I also heard that the quality of huts and other dwelling spaces was something to admire. Being a trained architect and curious about tropical construction, I asked if I could visit.

Now, four visits, a ceremony, and an oven later, Slocum and his family (Yolita, Kametza & Yolanda) are great friends. I appreciate Slocum's kind, communicative approach regarding the medicines he works with. We've talked for numerous hours over many topics and enjoy learning something new every time.

I've stayed in a few of his structures (the small maloka and the pentagonal hut) and admire the detailed, quality construction. They are entirely netted with mosquiteros (mosquito netting) over the beds. He's bathrooms are comfortable and accommodating. My last trip I saw four new buildings going up and he's in the stages of planning a very large ceremonial maloka in a beautiful setting on the property.

Slocum's awareness of proper diet and superfoods means delicious eating at all times. From his yummy morning smoothies of cacao, avocado, pollen, honey, nuts, coconut water & spirulina to the hearty, flavorful lunch/dinner meals you feel recharged and rejuvenated.

If you're looking to work with plant medicines, or (re)discover your center and find out living from your heart, I highly recommend visiting and staying at Amaru. They're also growing and if you're available for longer stays and can offer your skills/labor, you'll fit right in.

Room Tip: Each "room" is different. Ernesto, a trusted shaman friend of Slocum's, will help do a...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Truly, you owe it to yourself to spend some time here and undertake the magic of a plant diet and superfoods!

Amaru spirit is set on beautiful land and run by wonderful people with whom instantly you feel like family. This is a safe place to really journey within and discover your true nature, heal; ground and open and this is all within the comfort of your own Jungle hut!!

The plant diet is the first place to start and believe me it will be just the beginning. Both Slocum and Ernesto are remarkable! as guide and shaman. Here you will find the real deal!

I am already planning my return which will be for much longer next time..Jen

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

On first arrival, the jungle town of Iquitos is an assault on all the senses. The sights, sounds and smells are overwhelming. The feeling of magic in the air is palpable and as a woman traveling solo there's no denying the sense that much lingers beneath the surface and it becomes of paramount importance to connect with 'the right' people. People you can trust and feel safe with . . .

Early in my journey I was blessed to meet just such a person. David Slocum Hewson. A gringo shaman of some renown, who, with his lovely Peruvian wife Yolita, is developing one of the best retreat centers on the Amazon. Amaru Spirit. http://www.amaruspirit.com/about-us/
With the assistance of some remarkably talented and knowledgeable local shamans, Slocum is passionately researching, studying and sharing the healing powers and magical properties of the Amazonian plants and fruits

Whether you're after a simple jungle retreat/holiday, want to commune deeply with the trees and plants, experience dieta, do ceremony with the sacred plants (under Slocum and his shaman colleagues expert and loving care and guidance), or you're seeking healing (for body, mind or spirit) or you just want to experience and learn about clean living and superfoods . . . Amaru Spirit offers it all!

Amaru Spirit is a sweet safe place to land. And very affordable!
I stayed in the most adorable pentagonal hut
Simple and rustic but comfortable. The upper part of the walls made of mosquito netting gives a real sense of indoor/outdoor living and I loved living so close to nature. The sounds of the jungle never ceased to amaze and delight. The sheer diversity of jungle life takes your breath away. I came to stay for one week and stayed 5. And I was SO sad to leave

Slocum leads a masterful (heart-full) ceremony and holds the space with pure intent and love.
He entertains with his stories and freely shares his wisdom and his wealth of knowledge of health and nutrition. And with the unfailing help of Yolita, her mother Yolanda (who is a pure incarnation of the loving mother) he feeds, enlightens and heals mind, body and spirit. From delicious superfood smoothies and daily feasts to delight the taste buds and leave you feeling happy and deeply nourished, to specialized healing diets and profoundly transformational ceremonies with the sacred plants. Slocum believes that "a modern understanding of nutrition and physical cleansing can be added to the ancient shamanic art of healing the body and spirit through ayahuasca, and the two are necessary and synergistic." and he's on a mission to prove it. He has a heartfelt commitment to making a real difference in this world in all that he does. His dedication shines through all his words and actions. Yolita and Yolanda are tireless in their commitment to take good sweet care of ALL. Giving just the right amount of love, support and encouragement . . . and always that healing delicious food

The property is gorgeous, the company, friendly and stimulating, the food is the BEST and even the hired help touched my heart with their beautiful spirits and unfailing kindness and gentle friendliness

If an Amazonian jungle adventure is on your bucket list, put Amaru Spirit on top of your list!
I couldn't possibly recommend it more highly and I can't wait to return myself

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Lima
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Amaru Spirit is unlike any other place I have been to. I feel like I have found my spot :)
It is such a beautiful center run by such beautiful people. I met Slocum (David) the owner in Lima and decided to visit his place not knowing exactly what was in store for me. I ended up staying to do a 7 day master plant diet with tabaco, an experience that really did change my life, physically, mentally and emotionally. Amaru Spirit is a peaceful oasis away from the craziness of Iquitos!!!!! I highly recommend the center not just for people who are interested in learning about plants but also those who want to learn more about superfoods and nutrition and anyone who is looking for a quiet get away where all you have to do is rest.
David and his family have welcomed me with open arms. I have only been here now for a few weeks but I already feel part of the family. They have a great community of people and it is continuing to grow and flourish. I have so much gratitude in my heart to be a part of such a place.
Katie

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Amaru Spirit? Share your experiences!