“Don't judge a book by it's name.” 4 of 5 stars

Hobo Hideout Hostel
Hobo Hideout Hostel
Jr. Putumayo 437, Iquitos, Peru   |
Ranked #38 of 70 Specialty lodging in Iquitos
“Don't judge a book by it's name.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Hobo Hideout is an almost perfect hideout. The family that runs this Hostel still remains in my heart. I visited Peru for 3 months and this hostel was my last stop on my way back to the US. Maybe it was best that way, otherwise i may have never left Hobo Hideout. It's convenient to the town of Iquitos, not too far from the airport, close to the market and the main square. The place is clean, unlike many other hostels I stayed in. The family that runs the place also lives there and it's truly a home. There are different accommodations as far as bedroom styles like single bedroom, double occupancy, group occupancy holding up to 8 or 10 bunkbed dorm setup. Some rooms have a/c and others are treehouse stlye in case you want to enjoy the outdoor indoor feel with opened windows. The bathrooms are clean, spacious and modern. Most places don't offer warm showers (not that it's necessary in an already hot place like Peru) however it's a plus that they did.
There is an area where you can hand wash your clothes and hang them out to dry otherwise there is a laundry close by.
The beds are truly comfortable and the rooms are cleaned during your stay. The kitchen is shared by guests and family/staff. I truly love Hobo Hideout. If i was forced to have to say anything negative about this place I'd have to really nitpick...
So for nitpicking sake:
The refrigerator is for family/staff use only (but that's because some guests take advantage by consuming personal items belonging to the family) maybe a mini fridge could be provided for guests.
There is no wifi (but across the street is an internet center)
The kitchen opens at 6 am and closes at 6 pm.
The entrance lobby door locks at 1or 2am and opens at 6 am.
The bird in the lobby can get loud as so can the road noise.
The dorm rooms are co-ed.

Remember I'm nitpicking for nitpicking sake. The cost for Hobo Hideout accommodations is embarrassingly inexpensive and that's coming from someone who takes pride on living on a budget. I truly love love love this place and i look forward to visiting again as if i would be visiting extended family. I also got the chance to meet some very amazing people at Hobo Hideout. Some people that I've bonded with for life in less than a week in an almost perfect Hideout!
Thanks to Jimmy and his family/staff for making me feel so welcomed. I love you all sincerely. Love Shy :)

• Stayed March 2013

13 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Regina, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

For seven dollars a night this place is a gem. It has weird taxidermy and an irritating parrot but its in a great location. The house smells a bit like stale cigarettes but we were able to store our luggage and the owners kept our valuables and passports in their own room when we went to the jungle. At first we were a bit worried since they weren't locked up but everything ended up being fine in the end. We booked a trip to the amazon jungle through this hostel and it was amazing. The guides name is Kid and he offers personalized tours based on what you want to do and see. Another thing that really impressed us about this hostel is that the owner woke up and let us come collect our valuables and luggage at two in the morning when we returned from our trek. We were just going to go straight to the airport but they offered us beds in one of the dorms and didn't charge for the additional night. Ps the beds in the dorm are much more comfortable than the double room.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Sebastopol, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We booked 5 nights at the Hobo Hideout based on a recommendation from another traveler, but we left after 2 nights due to the general grunge and unpleasantness of this hostel. When we arrived, they had no record of my reservation but were still able to find a bunk for me in the air-conditioned dorm downstairs. The room was spacious and the air-conditioning was a total luxury, but the en-suite bathroom was disgusting. It clearly had not been cleaned in several days; a milky film of soap gathered on the standing water in the shower and a ton of hair was clogging the drain. During the 2 days we stayed there, the shower was not cleaned and became progressively more disgusting.

They keep the air-conditioning on all night, but they only supply a thin cotton sheet instead of a blanket. I had to bundle up in my hoodie, gloves, socks, and long leggings in order to feel warm at night. The common area/living room is really dark and the TV is always on. The family who lives in the hostel keeps the TV blaring at an obnoxiously loud level late into the night, which makes sleeping even more difficult if you happen to be in the air-conditioned dorm, as the TV is right outside the door. At about 5:45 in the morning, you can expect to be woken up by the screaming parrot (the hostel pet) and the daughter of the family who lives there. It basically sounds like someone is screaming, for hours. Totally hinders sleeping.

The kitchen is decently stocked, but guests are only allowed to cook between 6 AM and 6 PM. We blew our budget in Iquitos due to the kitchen restrictions, as we had a hard time arranging to be back at our hostel with ingredients in hand by 5 PM in order to cook dinner. This policy is strictly enforced. There are also no refrigerator privileges.

The only really good thing about the hostel is the location, but it's not a good enough reason to make this place bearable. We were thrilled when we checked out.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

We stayed there 3 nights. We were going to stay longer but the rude owner (the man) made us feel so unwelcome that we asked for our money back and went looking for other accommodations. First he yelled at us for being in the shared kitchen after 6pm when we had never been told of this very inconvenient rule (who makes dinner before 6?) and then when going to our room with full and cumbersome backpacks I got yelled at for leaving the door open behind before I had a chance to turn around and close it. They lost our reservation twice and kept promising a room upgrade that never happened. On the plus, the ladies who run it were very nice and the rooms were clean but the man treated us like unwelcome house guests. What a miserable person. Next time I go to Iquitos I will seek out more friendly and professional accommodations.

• Stayed January 2013

Been to Hobo Hideout Hostel? Share your experiences!